+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ack-developers... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Inside RIM's plan to win back developers

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Interesting. We shall see if it's all too little too late.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I wonder...I´m sure we´ll know more about this from you, come January 2013?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quite possibly, yes!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I think the one win RIM can easy score is if it makes an easy way for Android APK code to be compiled (not converted, not emulated, not run "natively", but for the code to be compiled) and for it to just work. This would allow every single app under android to work for BB. This would solve the app problem.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I know that apps are the big thing, but it really torques me to no end that they just left us themers hanging with 6.0 development tools. I know they have been struggling but, give me a break I know alot of themers that just gave up because of the delays with AppWorld and the lack of software updates. I agree with ventz I'm working on android now but I am not about to do two different things at the same time to produce a single app. One way or another, I've chosen how about you RIM.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    RIM is definitely in a period of transition," he said, however, "They are still a significant global player."

Seriously!!! I think this statement is a bit optimistic

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I just checked Motek Mobile's site, since I had never heard of them. The apps here might be ok. However, they are not Skype, Netflix, Angry Birds, Instagram, Amazon Kindle, etc.

These small time developers might have some nice apps, but when Joe or Jane Consumer is looking for a new smartphone, he or she won't care about Screen Muncher. If the big name apps are not available, Joe or Jane Consumer will pass up the BB10.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Wading in again, have to answer you Laura and Craig.....Angry Birds is on the Playbook and will be on BB10. Skype is very likely to be on BB10 widget already seen on it Kobo on Playbook atm Kindle could be to come. You would be surprised you many more Apps are appearing daily on the Playbook. With regards to the feast of the world Craig BlackBerry is still selling well probably due to price BBM, and in many cases the keypad.

BB10 is taking a long time to release but will be an interesting OS, with a number of interesting innovations.

Personally I was very disappointed with the poor choice of movies on Netflix probably because I don't watch much Hollywood movies, prefer Bollywood and Hong Kong movies.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well Dave with second thoughts you are correct once again, global is the key word but getting back to where they were in the US will be one hard task, I'm thinking. It's not that I wish them bad luck because I was a dedicated BB users for years. I hope they can plant and stand firmly once again in the market.
    lak611 likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Craig, it's sad but I agree with you as far as getting back to their level of usage in the US is concerned, it would have to be a perfect storm scenario to happen, such as a lackluster showing from the new IPhone (highly, I repeat highly unlikely), a stop on a lot of the Android functionality due to the Apple/Samsung Patent case, Microsoft 8 having a major virus hack on it, both items again very unlikely. Still having said all of this the BB10 OS is better than the PlayBook OS 2.0 which I personally feel has a lot more functionality than the IPad, it just has not had the marketing to sell it, and it is not a "cool" device that the IPad is. I have been very surprised in the last couple of weeks to see several PlayBook 4G's been used on my morning and evening commute on the train, people have them out, checking their e-mails, surfing, playing games, watching movies etc. These have the same OS as mine just 4G instead of WiFi (I have had 4G for a while with a MiFi unit ).

So I am looking forward to BB10 on my PlayBook. As far as a BB10 phone is concerned, I will not be changing my ATT Torch anytime soon (as it is more for my son to contact me from the US, and I hardly use it), my company phone is a 3 yr contract so I have another 2 yrs + on that Torch unless of course it gets damaged, then I think it would be changed to an OS 7 9900, rather than BB10, so I will just have to read what people on here say about the phones.

Just reading that RIM will guarantee an income of 10K for developers that develop native Apps, plus as I said earlier I believe that all the big names that Laura wants will be on BB10 plus many other options like video BBM for those that have Playbooks and BB10 devices.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Wading in again, have to answer you Laura and Craig.....Angry Birds is on the Playbook and will be on BB10. Skype is very likely to be on BB10 widget already seen on it Kobo on Playbook atm Kindle could be to come. You would be surprised you many more Apps are appearing daily on the Playbook. With regards to the feast of the world Craig BlackBerry is still selling well probably due to price BBM, and in many cases the keypad.

BB10 is taking a long time to release but will be an interesting OS, with a number of interesting innovations.

Personally I was very disappointed with the poor choice of movies on Netflix probably because I don't watch much Hollywood movies, prefer Bollywood and Hong Kong movies.
    I mainly mentioned those particular apps, since they are the "usual suspects" when most people ask for apps or choose a different device since BlackBerry lacks them.

I never heard of Kobo, and I would not have heard of it if I did not follow BlackBerry-related forums. I believe Kobo was marketed by Borders bookstore, which went out of business.

Netflix is better for TV shows than for movies, which is mainly how I use Netflix on my device.

RIM's biggest mistake with Skype was showing a Skype icon on the Playbook back when they originally demoed the Playbook in April 2011.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Craig, it's sad but I agree with you as far as getting back to their level of usage in the US is concerned, it would have to be a perfect storm scenario to happen, such as a lackluster showing from the new IPhone (highly, I repeat highly unlikely), a stop on a lot of the Android functionality due to the Apple/Samsung Patent case, Microsoft 8 having a major virus hack on it, both items again very unlikely. Still having said all of this the BB10 OS is better than the PlayBook OS 2.0 which I personally feel has a lot more functionality than the IPad, it just has not had the marketing to sell it, and it is not a "cool" device that the IPad is. I have been very surprised in the last couple of weeks to see several PlayBook 4G's been used on my morning and evening commute on the train, people have them out, checking their e-mails, surfing, playing games, watching movies etc. These have the same OS as mine just 4G instead of WiFi (I have had 4G for a while with a MiFi unit ).

So I am looking forward to BB10 on my PlayBook. As far as a BB10 phone is concerned, I will not be changing my ATT Torch anytime soon (as it is more for my son to contact me from the US, and I hardly use it), my company phone is a 3 yr contract so I have another 2 yrs + on that Torch unless of course it gets damaged, then I think it would be changed to an OS 7 9900, rather than BB10, so I will just have to read what people on here say about the phones.

Just reading that RIM will guarantee an income of 10K for developers that develop native Apps, plus as I said earlier I believe that all the big names that Laura wants will be on BB10 plus many other options like video BBM for those that have Playbooks and BB10 devices.
    I also would like to see RIM make a comeback, since I really did like BlackBerry for 3 years.

Video BBM would be nice, but it would be useless for folks like me who don't have any family members and friends who own a BlackBerry. I was the last person in my family to have one. (My family members who used BlackBerry had such bad experiences with it that they would never consider one again. I would consider one again, provided it got the big apps and compatibility with SkyDrive.) However, Skype is available on just about every other smartphone platform and also on any desktop/laptop OS (Windows, OS X, Linux). I don't use Skype, but I know a lot of people who do.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Skype has somehow taken over from my cell phone calls. It's cheaper, especially for international calls. My next step is doing away with the Vodafone plan I have when I have the opportunity and just get Web access and sms.
    Regarding BB I'm hopeful they'll will be a credible choice. But if they carry on launching new OS's to fix things and bugs and errors with BB10 like with all other past OS's, then I'll pass. I have no patience for that.
    Updates like we have on the other platforms I accept.
    The eternal search for the 'best' BB OS of the moment I cannot tolerate any longer.
    And that, ladies and gents, will be the greatest obstacle for RIM.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Skype has somehow taken over from my cell phone calls. It's cheaper, especially for international calls. My next step is doing away with the Vodafone plan I have when I have the opportunity and just get Web access and sms.
    Regarding BB I'm hopeful they'll will be a credible choice. But if they carry on launching new OS's to fix things and bugs and errors with BB10 like with all other past OS's, then I'll pass. I have no patience for that.
    Updates like we have on the other platforms I accept.
    The eternal search for the 'best' BB OS of the moment I cannot tolerate any longer.
    And that, ladies and gents, will be the greatest obstacle for RIM.
    I definitely agree.

Android has progressed to the point where custom ROMs are not necessary for the average user. I know quite a few people who don't bother flashing ROMs and wouldn't even know what that is, but they still are happy with the performance of their Android devices.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast