+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.php?r=1620-IN-DEPTH... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: IN DEPTH:Why you should care about the iPhone location-tracking is

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    How about adding if the IPhone is your company phone, you sign a contract with your company that they have access to your phone (see your texts, e-mails, browsing history etc which is a given) now they will also have access to where you travel throughout the day, if you are in a position where you are out of the office a lot, watch because your company could be watching you !!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    What you say is true. My eldest son is in that situation.
    He is in fact in the middle of a class action suite, against one of his present employer/customer. Even though he works as a part-time consultant for this particular company (Winemaker and Eonologist) , they gave him a phone for his use, and he later, by pure coincidence, felt he was being "tagged"... since the phone was linked to this company and programmed by the personnel dept for the sales teams.
    He dumped the phone of course, and since there are laws here that strictly prohibit that type of behaviour, this UK company is in for a very rough ride.
    My insistence in yet again talking about this, is principally that I feel not enough people are worried about this abuse.
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-25-2011 at 04:09 PM.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    to further expand on this subject check this out:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...ng-overturned/

I was reading about this when I stumbled on the 2nd link
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...acking-device/

This kind of general behavior starts to set precedence and opportunity to be greatly taken advantage of.
    and every time you let something like this slide the next time they will push a lil farther until we make them stop.
    I dont think its right for the government to do it, its even more so wrong from a private company to do it.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    How about adding if the IPhone is your company phone, you sign a contract with your company that they have access to your phone (see your texts, e-mails, browsing history etc which is a given) now they will also have access to where you travel throughout the day, if you are in a position where you are out of the office a lot, watch because your company could be watching you !!
    What you described is really no different than an employee having a BlackBerry on BES.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I would be surprised if any of the smug Apple fanboys would say anything negative about their precious.

Android also does this, but I believe it caches a small amount of data, but quickly does away with older data while new data comes in about your whereabouts. This data is only on your phone and can be viewed if you have administrative rights.

The problem I have is that Apple did not let me know that my phone was doing this, sure it let's me opt in or out of location services, but holding all my location in an unencrypted file for as long as I have the phone is bullshit.

I could care less about their reasoning behind it too. Faster lock on when using the GPS, ads that are more relevant for me due to my location. I can only imagine what this info could tell a person about me and all the disgusting places I've been.

We need to let Apple and every other company out there know that just because we desire technology doesn't mean that they can infringe on our basic rights to privacy.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    What you described is really no different than an employee having a BlackBerry on BES.
    Yes, but it's one thing knowing beforehand and consenting, and another finding out that you're being watched without your permission. In Portugal ( and in most EU nations) even on BES, your boss has to have your permission. And you are allowed to refuse, and this cannot held against you in accordance with Labor laws. In other words, if a company has that system working, it´s obligatory for them to divulge it and warn you before they hire you. If they don´t, and you refuse, they can´t fire you. You must consent and sign a specific document pertaining to the sharing of your personal data etc.
    Although BB is a great business smartphone here, as well as the iPhone and others, they all come with that caveat...
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-26-2011 at 07:42 AM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    to further expand on this subject check this out:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...ng-overturned/

I was reading about this when I stumbled on the 2nd link
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...acking-device/

This kind of general behavior starts to set precedence and opportunity to be greatly taken advantage of.
    and every time you let something like this slide the next time they will push a lil farther until we make them stop.
    I dont think its right for the government to do it, its even more so wrong from a private company to do it.
    Thanks for the input RemyKirin...
    It's very worrying. Info in the wrong hands for all the wrong reasons is chilling. Fascism ! Again ?
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hmm, I have had company blackberry's in the US and while but never had to sign anything giving the company permission to access anything on the phone, or with the phone. In the early days it was the same with company laptops and accessing information on them, then there was a lawsuit and suddenly we all had to sign a contract stating we were aware of the fact that the company could access anything on that computer which extended to the Blackberry, texts, e-mails etc. No mention of tracking my whereabouts though. This is the same in Canada, no mention of tracking.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ I think we´re only aware of it when we do find out. From outside sources. Otherwise, mum´s the word.

+ Reply to Thread