+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...o-older-phones... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: HTC starts rolling out Sense 3.0 update to older phones

Advertisement

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    no mention of the original incredible...should i just quietly slip it into my phone museum?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    In my opinion you wouldn't want sense 3 anyway Cat. Its a resource hog. Pretty, nothing but eye candy. I get rid of it ASAP on any rom I use that has it.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    no mention of the original incredible...should i just quietly slip it into my phone museum?
    I checked also. Guess I'm too far behind. I wonder what this antique is worth on Craigslist.?

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    In my opinion you wouldn't want sense 3 anyway Cat. Its a resource hog. Pretty, nothing but eye candy. I get rid of it ASAP on any rom I use that has it.
    But what if you do???? The original Incredible is 1year 8 months old if you bought it when it first came out. I remember it was supposed to be the latest and greatest and the answer to the iPhone. Many people couldn't get them day 1 and if you waited 4 months your phone is not even a year and half old.

It's not about if you would like it but as far as android goes, shouldn't YOU have the CHOICE to decide if you want it or not? Especially with people that are not receiving updates. Not just major updates like this but minor bug fix updates. They're few and far between and with mobile security coming to the front of many discussions this has to be something to consider when purchasing a new phone every two years, sometimes three depending on country and carrier.

Glad to see that some will enjoy a update.

If you do want it then you should complain to your carrier or HTC. Google isn't/android in general aren't the culprit. Problem, sure I suppose....if you want an updated UI. Personally I can't see why though, but I prefer a slimline UI.

Updates come out, roll to the carriers who test (or just hem and haw) and then decide who gets what. Gingerbread gets updated and goes to AT&T, Google isn't the part of the chain that is fouling up the works. One of the reasons Nexus phones are popular.

Your other option is rooting. After a year you're out of warrenty anyway. Within a short time Sense 3 ports will appear. Heck, 3.5 ports were available for the 3D in a very short time.

Again though, dump Sense and see that device perform better anyway. I've toyed with stock sense, optimized sense ROMs , and really can't see any benifit beyond eyecandy. Its one of the few gripes I have with Android that manufacturers can add a UI and hog up cycles/memory. I know HTC has done well with Sense but I'm not even thinking about running it over ICS (HTC has announced Sense 4.0).

In the end, that's how it is. I think saying you have to purchase a new device to get bug fixes is a bit extreme though. I mean since most Droid users don't realize the have voice functions, how would they know they have bugs?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I mean since most Droid users don't realize the have voice functions, how would they know they have bugs?
    I like that thought. They drag out updates if ever b/c they want to sell new devices. I've often wondered how many people they have even working on software updates and how that works exactly?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    If you do want it then you should complain to your carrier or HTC. Google isn't/android in general aren't the culprit.
    I see it differently, Google is the culprit here as they own Android and can require anything they choose. Requiring updates in a timely manner and for a certain period of time isn't unreasonable.(IIRC, they have started doing this to some degree) Especially if you want to continue to build your brand and create a following. It's one reason the their main competitor in OS's has such a huge following. They know they get support.

Updates come out, roll to the carriers who test (or just hem and haw) and then decide who gets what. Gingerbread gets updated and goes to AT&T, Google isn't the part of the chain that is fouling up the works. One of the reasons Nexus phones are popular.
    While true, I think it shows that the openness and freedom Google and it's partners claim isn't as open as they would like you to believe. Even on the Nexus line now. What they have done is put the control in the carriers hand. Not in the users. Allowing the carriers to control what goes on a device and how updates that device gets is not benefiting the user. The carrier makes money not phones but the cost of the service, so why would they want to keep you on the same phone for 2-3 even 4 years?? It's the reason that they offer early upgrades and you are eligible for upgrades a few months before your contract expires. They use the phones as a way to keep you.

In the end, that's how it is. I think saying you have to purchase a new device to get bug fixes is a bit extreme though. I mean since most Droid users don't realize the have voice functions, how would they know they have bugs?
    Very true, most smartphone users aren't keeping up with what's going on concerning their phone. Don't know how many iPhone users that have had the 4 and some that have the 3GS and have upgraded to iOS5 that din't know that they have the notification center. It always make me laugh when someone asks something and i swipe down to reveal it, their mouths drop open like the red sea was parted,lol. While I'm not saying that any of this concerns us(we here are on a different level than most) it is something to consider for the average user. I couldn't see recommending any other smartphone to my mom,dad,grandmother or a couple of friends because they aren't getting the best device for them for years to come. As soon as Google mandates a upgrade plan for it's partners all of this probably will change. Until then it will still remain a fragmented system that is continually growing larger.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    well...i guess i would take my incredible with any kind of os right now...it's in an endless bootloop
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    wut?
    j sometime when you and i have some spare time maybe you could hold my hand through the process and get something newish on it. I'll probably never use it again(never know,still love it) but would like to be able to pick it up and play with android some.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Very true, most smartphone users aren't keeping up with what's going on concerning their phone. Don't know how many iPhone users that have had the 4 and some that have the 3GS and have upgraded to iOS5 that din't know that they have the notification center. It always make me laugh when someone asks something and i swipe down to reveal it, their mouths drop open like the red sea was parted,lol. While I'm not saying that any of this concerns us(we here are on a different level than most) it is something to consider for the average user. I couldn't see recommending any other smartphone to my mom,dad,grandmother or a couple of friends because they aren't getting the best device for them for years to come. As soon as Google mandates a upgrade plan for it's partners all of this probably will change. Until then it will still remain a fragmented system that is continually growing larger.
    This is what fascinates me more than anything. I also think the term dumbsumer was born out of this and greed lives on in terms of carriers. As for responsibility Google is doing Android an injustice. All these areas are disappointing to me and one reason I may never be able to play/partner with such a system.

Sifting thru all the topics that can be discussed, here is the bottom line. Carriers need to stop tying to control everything and go back to being nothing more than a pipe line. It should be the OS makers decision who, what model and when and our decision what we like best for our needs.

Branding is one of the worst things than can happen and any product.
    Last edited by srl7741; 12-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Branding is one of the worst things than can happen and any product.
    100% agree. I purchased a Nexus One for this fact and I'm saddened to see that Google has let the carriers start to take control over this line. Not letting Google Wallet on THE Google device because VZW didn't want it is ridiculous but doesn't surprise me. It only shows me that Google is only concerned with their business model and that business model is not about the consumers but about retailers.

I read a interesting article the other day on why Google is afraid a Siri. It completely changes the way that we find things. We don't have to be glued to our screens to search for something and it's a different approach to how the results are chosen. It was a great point that I hadn't thought about because Siri is with out a doubt in the main stream now. They get a ton of money from iOS searches so I'm sure they are starting to see a difference in revenue form that market.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I must have read the same article or one like it. I had not thought about that before either and I can see how it's going to shake things up a bit going forward.

It was a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    j sometime when you and i have some spare time maybe you could hold my hand through the process and get something newish on it. I'll probably never use it again(never know,still love it) but would like to be able to pick it up and play with android some.
    Would be happy to.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I must have read the same article or one like it. I had not thought about that before either and I can see how it's going to shake things up a bit going forward.

It was a good read.
    I believe Apple is moving away from relying on Google for some of it's services. Didn't Apple buy a 3D mapping company also?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    They have bought a #D mapping company. Can't remember the name though. I believe Apple still gets a piece of income from it's Google searches. It use to at least. Not sure if it still does.

It's smart to move away from them but I don't see anyone completely getting away from Google search. It's just too big and very good at what it does. Maps, maybe. I know there's a lot that would like a updated maps with 3D and all but I'm not one. Simple map with satellite view when I want it and I'm good. They may have a navigation system in the works but it would have to be damn good to beat some of the ones on the app store.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast