You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...id-a-Closed-OS... Smartphone News forum
Article: HP's Whitman: Motorola May Make Android a 'Closed' OS
Would a closed system be better for Motorola and Android users, yes. Is Google is going to give up its data mining and ad revenue, don't count on it. Android will stay open for those two reasons alone.
^^^ We agree. That's something...
This author seems to think Google will kill the Motorola brand.
Here is the step by step scenario I see playing out:
- Handset makers develop alternative backup plans to move to Windows Phone 8. Microsoft is receiving them with open arms right now. Samsung and many others already ship Windows Phone 7.
- Key Motorola smartphone talent start to leave after stock lockout dates and realization that Motorola cannot remain a standalone brand inside Google.
- Motorola launches the most compelling Android-based handsets and begin to take market share.
- Android licensees start executing their contingency plans and move strategic handsets to Windows. Android share plummets as Windows ascends.
- Google looks to spin out the Motorola handset company and license back IP but realizes they cannot lose the hardware talent.
- Google announces an exciting shift in strategy that provides all of Motorola’s design capabilities and IP to all Android licensees. The Motorola branded handsets are discontinued. The technical staff is put into hardware architecture groups similar to the way they are organized at Microsoft. Redundant employees are redeployed or laid off.
This may all sound pessimistic, but think about other potential examples in different industries and gauge your reaction. Imagine how PC OEMs would react if Intel bought ASUS. More PC OEM business would shift to AMD. Or what if Samsung bought T-Mobile? How excited would AT&T
be to carry a full line of Samsung handsets? We all know the answer to that. Google will get what they needed; the IP and hardware knowledge but will fail to replicate an Apple experience. The Motorola-branded handset will be sacrificed in the learning process.
Follow me on Twitter @lak611