+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-Deserts-WebOS... Smartphone News forum

Article: HP Deserts WebOS Devices

Advertisement

I just received the Press Release in my PinStack inbox (2 hours 45 minutes after Yahoo had it??!?) and the wording is a little different in the paragraph about WebOS:
    HP will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. The devices have not met internal milestones and financial targets. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.
    Lack of sales!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    So they are splitting off the PC side and closing down the TouchPad, didn't really give it much time to take off did they? This is good for Apple one less competitor, one wonders if there is any patent issues here and HP doesn't want to risk fights after seeing the Apple/Samsung fiasco, but then I am just contemplating possibilities.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Wow. That sucks for everyone who just purchased one.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    I honestly cannot believe this happened...It's by far the best OS I've used.

If Palm had released a year earlier and used top of the line hardware (maybe not the 1st release, but by the 2nd), they would've done better than the iPhone.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Apparently HP has to eat $100 million charge to cover their stockpile of unsold TouchPads. They have sold 25,000, and have close 260,000 unsold. I wonder will they have to return the money to those who have purchased the item and will now receive no further updates on the software or WebOS? How about the people with Pre's? They are in a similar situation. One can understand it if a company goes bankrupt, but to just drop something that they recently bought is disgusting, how many jobs are going to be affected by this decision? And HP are also announcing they will be buying Autonomy Corporation plc, if I were a worker at Autonomy I would be worried!!

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    It sounds like HP wants to compete against IBM. If they drop their tablet and PC business, they would be moving more in the direction that IBM did when they sold their PC business to Lenovo.

I wonder who the buyer for HP's PC business will be. Perhaps Lenovo will also acquire HP's PCs.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It sounds like HP wants to compete against IBM. If they drop their tablet and PC business, they would be moving more in the direction that IBM did when they sold their PC business to Lenovo.

I wonder who the buyer for HP's PC business will be. Perhaps Lenovo will also acquire HP's PCs.
    That's very interesting. That explains I guess why they produce absolutely the worst desktop/PC computers.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    That's very interesting. That explains I guess why they produce absolutely the worst desktop/PC computers.
    I have an HP laptop, and have not had problems with it in the three years I've owned it so far.

One of my friends is a Network Administrator, and he has all HP products (desktops, servers, laser printers) at the company he works for. He is concerned about what will happen with support, if HP stops selling desktops, especially since he has just upgraded the desktops.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

+ Reply to Thread