+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...for-rogue-apps... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: How to check your Android device for rogue apps

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    This is very useful. I will definitely let my friends who are Android users know about this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Double post. Apologies.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 06-23-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: double post

Thank you. Downloaded and learned a thing or two about some apps. Deleted one that had access t my contacts that (as far as I know) didn't need. Can't see why a bar-code scanner needed that.
    Very helpful article.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You're welcome. I just hope more buddies will take this seriously...

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    If you have been blindly installing apps from shady sources or without caring about permissions then this may be worth a look. But at the same time, look at this app's permissions to read phone state and identity

"READ PHONE STATE AND IDENTITY
    Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like."

Why does it need to know the phone number & serial number of your phone and the numbers your phone connects to during a call in order to tell you the permissions of other apps?

You can view the list of permissions each app has in Manage Applications in Settings so an app to check app permissions is not really necessary.

Always read the list of permissions before installing an app and determine if the permissions make sense and see if there is a similar app with lesser permissions requirements. I think sometimes people can go overboard, they ask for more features like ability to share info from the app, but then scream when the app needs permissions to access your contacts or accounts. Some of my most useful apps like Vlingo have a LONG list of permissions but that is what's needed to be truly useful.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... if users would be naturally cautious and have enough discernable knowledge on the matter, no application of this sort would be necessary. The opposite is quite true, unfortunately.

I admit my ignorance. Having just joined the ranks of Android I'm still learning. Never had these issues back in my bb days.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Unfortunately the everyday consumer doesn't see apps in a malicious way. Most see apps just as downloadable toys to play with for a few minutes then chuck them when bored.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I admit my ignorance. Having just joined the ranks of Android I'm still learning. Never had these issues back in my bb days.
    You are not the only one. BB was (or rather, still is) the safest OS around. Not that it didn´t use all the information as well, but we knew it was safe, somehow. iOS and Android changed the rules. Especially Android, being an open sourced OS.
    We must be discerning. We must limit our choice of applications to the well reputed ones we know. The rest, however tempting they are, are a risk. And the free ones, come at a price.
    In all these aspects, regardless of the knowledge we may have, we´re all ignorant.
    What we don´t want to be, is stupid...

+ Reply to Thread