+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 ... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not following you there Jay

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    It stays in the pulldown from the homescreen. I assume it is to let you know its running. Option to not have that would be cool. I am particular about those things, I don't know why.

I know its running, I opened it and signed in. I don't need to be reminded. Would be fine if it were a short task being run and it let me know it has finished, just don't want it there all the time.

Blame OCD I guess.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I agree with Jay. All I need is a simple notification.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Someone wants a few bucks, create an apparently that, when opened shows me my cloud storage (dropbox, box, etc) and allows me to access each and move any file from within.

ES and some other file managers allow this, but I don't want a full file manager with cloud support. I want a cloud manager with file support. I can't find anything that is slim, clean, and complete.

Hookt no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Does Hookt provide a standardized IM gateway protocol like XMPP to other services/providers, or is it yet another proprietary instant messaging silo like iMessage, BlackBerry Messenger, AIM, ICQ, MSN, and so forth?
    Hi!

Hookt is proprietary and not open to 3rd parties. If there are keen people out there wanting to build something on our platform, we’d love to talk to them about their ideas

Thanks!
    Get Hookt - the cross platform messenger.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    That's too bad, because it's very hard to incentivize a migration to another communications platform. It's especially difficult to justify when you'll still at the mercy of a third party -- and there are open standard alternatives. That, and with a closed source client, you can't opt out of potential annoyances like the notification behavior that Jay noticed, or add additional privacy support (such as the Off-the-Record messaging standard) so that message contents aren't visible to the hosting provider (which is especially important with bills like CISPA passing in the US and around the world).

There's definitely a market for a good, consistent, multi-platform messaging system, but, if it isn't built on open standards, it will be very hard to get long term acceptance. Google Talk, and a handful of other providers are all fully federated XMPP, allowing you to treat IM as you do email (where nobody cares where you're hosted, so long as you have the user's address). Even semi-proprietary messaging systems like Apple's iMessage and Facebook Chat are unfederated XMPP (with Facebook even allowing connections with standardized XMPP clients), meaning they could always begin federation with the rest of the world in the future without difficult user migrations to new services/software.

Staying proprietary (like RIM is doing with BBM) doesn't make sense unless you're invested in keeping people locked into a platform. Going proprietary with a new platform feels senseless when the open alternative would only assure greater likelihood of achieving critical mass of acceptance. I'll be sticking to XMPP for my non-SMS IMing needs, since Google Talk's client on Android is fairly good, and can communicate with anyone in the XMPP ecosystem, Google hosted or otherwise.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12