+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...We-Want-a-PDA!... Smartphone News forum

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737

    Article: HEY!! We Want a PDA!

    Advertisement




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    Um......again ..OK. Mark you need to get out of the stone age. Your BB days are long gone with 2007. Your friend or whatever needs a iPod Touch. Whatever that dinosaur is doing for your brother iOS will do it better and faster. Plus he wont have to carry around a brick to get it done.Not sure what your point is here Mark, as someone who relies on all these things your friend "wants". I have them all, IN MY SMARTPHONE. Just because your friend visited a store with sales people that didn't have any other agenda other to push the latest device with the most commission. That doesn't mean what "you" are looking for isn't out there. Guess what, it is. So what does this article mean, 1- your friend needs to learn to be self-reliant and do research. A quick google search would have given him the same answer that I did. 2- What you're after is out there, in many forms. Google search can be your friend.

  3. #3
    jhutton12's Avatar
    jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Posts
    469
    Pda's nowadays is almost impossible to get anymore.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Um......again ..OK. Mark you need to get out of the stone age. Your BB days are long gone with 2007. Your friend or whatever needs a iPod Touch. Whatever that dinosaur is doing for your brother iOS will do it better and faster. Plus he wont have to carry around a brick to get it done.Not sure what your point is here Mark, as someone who relies on all these things your friend "wants". I have them all, IN MY SMARTPHONE. Just because your friend visited a store with sales people that didn't have any other agenda other to push the latest device with the most commission. That doesn't mean what "you" are looking for isn't out there. Guess what, it is. So what does this article mean, 1- your friend needs to learn to be self-reliant and do research. A quick google search would have given him the same answer that I did. 2- What you're after is out there, in many forms. Google search can be your friend.
    Let me simplify. What I am proposing is a "feature-phone" level phone with smartphone level PIM applications - a classic PDA. A device that makes calls and keeps a business person organized, just like HP, Palm and BlackBerry used to do. Addressing your points: 1. I still use a BB, why do you think I stopped in 2007? 2. The iPod touch does not make phone calls. 3. Feature by feature, in PIM applications, older PDAs are stronger than current iOS (and Android) devices. I've compared them side-by-side too many times. It is the primary reason I still use BlackBerry. 4. Current smartphones require data plans. Some of us don't care about the internet and gps and facebook and would like an organizer that is not weighted down with all that trivia. Even if they did do PIM as well as PDAs (which is a fantasy) a lot of us don't want to pay for an unnecessary data plan. Paying for the unwanted Data Plan so you can get an "OK" set of PIM applications is the true "brick". 5. A PDA that will make phone calls on a national network is not out there in "many forms", not on Google, not anywhere. Show me a new T-Mobile PDA that does not require a data plan that you can find on a Google search - - I'll give you a couple of minutes . . . .

    In my professional circle, my peers have been saddled by the company with Android smartphones that they dislike. They dislike them because they are not very good organizers. The director of our company's division has an iPhone and dislikes it for the same reason. 3 or 4 of these guys have purchased feature phones so they can make/receive phone calls with no hassle and use them at their own expense. My employees, on the other hand, love smartphones and happily pay the price of a data plan and love the features. What national carriers need to realize is that there may be a large segment of people out here that can use a simple PDA, and there may be a market.

  5. #5
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886
    But Mark, BB does all that... The other smartphones, be they iOS or Android do it too with alternatives and added features. Especially without the need to connect with wires. I do quite well and it's better with Google sync. It's better also with iOS. The real problem as I see it, is old age and the inability to adapt to new systems. Holding on to old tech solutions, especially in this day and age, will quickly leave you far behind. The difficulty then to adapt is that much harder. I remember the PDA very well. It was very useful at the time. I'm glad it's over. Just as the new technology we use today will be outdated sooner than what we expect.
    Last edited by Delfim; 12-28-2011 at 01:10 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,737
    Delfim, I agree that smartphones are decent organizers - but you have to pay for a data plan. My concept is a PDA device that has no browser or data capabilities, other than phone calling, that would not require payment of a data plan. A feature phone (I guess you would call it) that can make/receive calls and texts, but with PIM capabilities equal or greater to a smartphone. A classic PDA.

  7. #7
    Delfim's Avatar
    Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Posts
    14,886
    I got that Mark. Really just a personal organizer. That's possible with any of the available systems. Some are better some are worse. Granted that these must be bought free of any plans. Ball and chain. That's costly. And the carriers don't want to finance that, which leaves the consumer with little choice.

  8. #8
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359
    I think I'm tracking with your idea and in short, your issue is not with the devices but rather the Carriers. Preaching to the choir on this one.

    Even if a device was made with everything you need it would not be allowed by the Carriers. Maybe a mom & pop local carrier but that even has draw backs depending on your movement.

    Do I understand it correct? You want retro that has up to date PDA tech capabilities? Certainly doable but their are too many cooks in the kitchen in todays business models.

    iPod Touch w/Google Voice and eliminate them all.

    .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    Apple
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Let me simplify. What I am proposing is a "feature-phone" level phone with smartphone level PIM applications - a classic PDA. A device that makes calls and keeps a business person organized, just like HP, Palm and BlackBerry used to do.
    What exactly are you looking for?? A device that keeps a "business person organized". Seems iOS does pretty well for me and my employees. Palm,Hp,Blackberry. All are behind the times and don't do the job. Email, How many do you handle. get out of 2005 and move into now. All are dead tech. sorry you're still there in your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Addressing your points: 1. I still use a BB, why do you think I stopped in 2007?
    I didn't say you stopped using one, only implying that you are still in that year. Which you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    2. The iPod touch does not make phone calls.
    It doesn't, you're right. you said "they" still carry flip phones. No "true" PDA has a phone either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    3. Feature by feature, in PIM applications, older PDAs are stronger than current iOS (and Android) devices. I've compared them side-by-side too many times. It is the primary reason I still use BlackBerry.
    Please, if you had given iOS or Android a chance and actually looked at the apps available, and are BY FAR beyond the PIM capabilities of the yesteryear PDAs, you wouldn't have even started this article on this or any tech site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    4. Current smartphones require data plans. Some of us don't care about the internet and gps and facebook and would like an organizer that is not weighted down with all that trivia. Even if they did do PIM as well as PDAs (which is a fantasy) a lot of us don't want to pay for an unnecessary data plan. Paying for the unwanted Data Plan so you can get an "OK" set of PIM applications is the true "brick".
    You didn't say that you wanted a smartphone. You only complained about them. If flip phones will do the job for phone calls then a iPod Touch will do the job of the PDA. No one's telling you to use the internet or gps. They're there if needed. Not all will. Your "points" have no merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    5. A PDA that will make phone calls on a national network is not out there in "many forms", not on Google, not anywhere. Show me a new T-Mobile PDA that does not require a data plan that you can find on a Google search - - I'll give you a couple of minutes . . . .
    Why do you keep insisting that it make phone calls, in your article it was clear that you don't need it to make phone calls. You need it to be a PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    In my professional circle, my peers have been saddled by the company with Android smartphones that they dislike. They dislike them because they are not very good organizers. The director of our company's division has an iPhone and dislikes it for the same reason. 3 or 4 of these guys have purchased feature phones so they can make/receive phone calls with no hassle and use them at their own expense. My employees, on the other hand, love smartphones and happily pay the price of a data plan and love the features. What national carriers need to realize is that there may be a large segment of people out here that can use a simple PDA, and there may be a market.
    There is a market, it's called smartphones. Your bosses and director are old. Reluctant to move with the times. Soon they will fall by the wayside like the PDAs that you want. If you don't change with the times you will get left behind.Look at your BB maker, RIM. Guess what's happening to them? They're getting left behind because they refuse to move with the times.

    Everything you're asking for is in iOS or Android. BB is out of date and PDAs are a thing of the past. You're living there with this ridiculous article about something that has been left behind because OS have advanced to something more and better. Please, take your time, read this over. You'll be fine when you realize that WiFi is faster than a 3G cell connection.(I hope you can make that connection)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •