+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Hey, thanks for that. Seldom would folks outside pinstack take the time for such an ... Smartphone News forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Hey, thanks for that.

Seldom would folks outside pinstack take the time for such an answer off topic.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Jay your welcome, every question deserves an answer, I only wish I could have provided a fuller answer.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I can't really put my finger on it and articulate it very well but I've always been concerned about the carriers b/c they remind me so much of the oil industry, OPEC of the tech world.
    I'm quoting myself b/c I admitted up front I can't put my finger on it and articulate for a reason. I wasn't bashing anyone when I mentioned oil. I was trying to point out these two things have always caused me to wonder and draw my one eye attention

dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Point taken, I am just oversensitive have worked in the industry in places a lot of people would not want to go, exploring for oil for 40 years, I just get upset that the oil industry is so often run down and made out to be the source of all evil

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm happy now, I've never thought that, but sometimes things get my attention and it's normally not the thing but rather those who control it or abuse it.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    ^^^ Point taken, I am just oversensitive have worked in the industry in places a lot of people would not want to go, exploring for oil for 40 years, I just get upset that the oil industry is so often run down and made out to be the source of all evil
    Kind of like Apple Inc, huh Dave?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.723 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I can't feel too bad for Apple. It's their turn after all the years Microsoft got beat up.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Kind of like Apple Inc, huh Dave?
    Well if my stock was where Apple's is I think I could live with it, but again I see your point and in fact I stated that Apple is currently targeted by many purely because they think they will be able to make money out of it. As Laura says Microsoft had similar problems for years. The thing is though Apple is loved by the media, and they have a very very strong fan base, the oil industry on the other hand is hated by the media, by environmentalists, by the government and by the average person, yet everyone is happy to use its products. When I joined the industry it was looked at helping the world economy, today its destroying the world and a lot of the stuff that is published does not have any scientific basis behind it. Gaslands for example won awards and was treated as truth, it has been debunked by independent bodies but this is not reported instead pictures of lighting the water out of the faucet are shown as obvious proof that hydraulic fracturing ruins the water supply, reports are made about earthquakes caused by similar procedures, no mention of the size of the quake and if there was anything it was no different to heavy truck driving past or a rock concert playing. Scary stories sell in the media.

One other thing if Apple has it so bad why are so many people already selling their IPads in anticipation of the IPad3, or why do people queue for hours to pick up the IPhone 4S when it is launched, no I don't think Apple Inc is in trouble no matter what bad press they get concerning Foxconn, or their security wholes in IOS. (Just wonder if the same story about the ability to download address books etc were about RIM rather than Apple how it would have been reported and what affect it would have had, would we be seeing the end of RIM?)
    chokem and lak611 like this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    With the price of oil going up again I thought you would all find this graphic rather interesting, gives you an idea of how the price is broken down. Do not listen to the pundits that say oh heating oil is not being used so much so gasoline should cost less, they are 2 different products so that doesn't work.

Add to the graphic the cost of exploration, seismic surveys 2D, 3D, bid for the block, decision to drill, drill the well, get a dry hole find another location drill again (1 in 3 wells do not produce any hydrocarbon, this is a major improvement thanks to 3D surface seismic surveys and better interpretation).

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/06/148087...igh-gas-prices
    Exploration: http://www.encapgroup.com/drilling/

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Very interesting, especially pertaining to the US. I wonder what the costs are for us here...I'm sure you guys would get a great shock...or awakening!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I remember seeing a similar breakdown for UK/Europe, the tax side of the issue was scary. When I lived in the UK I always used to be annoyed by the fact that gas was taxed and then they put VAT on top of the tax so you were paying tax on the tax, the UK government were raking it in, and whenever the price per barrel went up they would make more money!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The Uk is similar to us in Portugal. Italy and France more expensive. Spain is cheaper ... Greece we'll not talk about, although the Greeks should pay more for all their extravagant ways. But that's another story...The price here is up as from tomorrow (announced) to 1,75Euro for a litre 95 Octane (the cheapest). That's roughly 6,60 Euros per US Gallon. Translate that into US dollars and its roughly 8,60 $US for a gallon. Of that, with VAT on top of VAT etc, the governments take about 60% of the value for themselves.
    I repeat myself here. Why do you guys complain?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    When I first moved to the US the gas price was under a dollar a gallon, I was used to paying about 6 or 7 times that in the UK. Well the gas prices have crept up, and for the average American who's only form of transport is the car (unless you live in the big cities like New York, LA, etc, not Houston) you have no real means of getting to work and back, add to that the enormous distances that they commute and you begin to get an idea of how it is really affecting the working man
    They government talks about the fact that use of gas has gone down, well that’s more because of the unemployment since if you don’t have job you don’t commute. Cars are big they use a lot of gas, engines are larger since they need to travel the distance and run the air-conditioning, particularly in the Southern States. The hybrids are expensive, as are the electric cars, which put them out of the range of the average person. The further north you go the colder the winters the more problems you will have with the batteries of electric cars maintaining their charge, all things which are obviously being worked on, but all things which the government neglects to mention.
    Put the price of gas, stop people driving, but before you do build the infrastructure to replace it.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well, we have all resorted to public transport for most of our in-town business. We have the surface metro, the underground, and linked bus services. And on average, they are fine. People do however, prefer the car. And lots of scooters and bicycles lately... What's bad to see is that most of the cars carry only the driver...no passengers. That doesn't help.Hybrids are faring ok here, although the purchase price is exorbitant. Infrastructure ? Well, there are new recharge stations appearing, at the moment, in strategic places. But I never see any one using them... why? Damn electricity prices are also steep, although much cheaper than gas. And so the ball goes round... this will eventually lead to people actually taking to electric cars, cause the prices to purchase will drop. But then the electricity bill will sky-rocket. For sure.You know what that means? Government taxes in a different form.Heck, its a never win situation for us here.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I could actually use 2 wheels here, but with the icy roads no one rides in your the winter plus it's so cold they would have to chip you off the saddle. It's funny the people that are using electric cars have to have special sockets installed for faster charging which isn't cheap + wait till they start getting their power bills in. Is it better for the environment? Depends on what generates the electricity, how efficient the grid is (not so good in the US + coal fire power stations). Then there is battery disposal.

I think gas and electricity prices are that different in the US. We need more efficient engines better power generation solar cells on every house roof, better batteries for all our gadgets etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast