+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...FORMANCE-TESTS... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: GLOBAL SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 MODEL CRUSHES U.S. VERSION IN PERFORMANCE

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Figures.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...insignificant for me. As long as I get LTE/4G. I can´t imagine going back to 3G.
    The rest is academic !

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Delfim - that's really surprising. It sounds like your carrier is doing something funky in your area, or there are too many people (over subscribing the channel). I am still really surprised when people say that 4G makes a difference on the headset itself. Using 3G or 4G is completely irrelevant when you are using a cellphone - unless you are just downloading large files constantly. 3G with actual 3G throughput is much more than the average person needs. You simply should not be able to notice the difference, unless you are using your phone for tethering. If it's not, that means you are an area with very crappy 3G or your carrier is oversubscribing / false advertising the service and the speeds.

As an example, during the 9-5 period, in a big city, ATT 3G gets you 200Kb which is pathetic (good EDGE is supposed to be that). At night, in the same area, it goes up to 1400 - 2100 kbps. (1.4-2.1 Mbps).

A sustained throughput of 500-600Kb should be more than enough for everything one can do from a cellphone - again, unless you are tethering or just downloading large (GB wise) files.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ventz, let me surprise you. Vodafone (but the other carriers too) where I live, about 10 miles from city centre (Porto) peaks at 100Mbps. That´s standard fare regardless of time of day. 3,5G (or HSPDA) varies between 24 and 42Mbps. If I´m in a 3G zone only, then anything between 8 and 12Mbps is possible. i have unlimited Gb´s and no slowdowns.
    My 4G/LTE USB pen on the PC peaks at 150Mbps at my office.
    So, naturally I do notice a "helluva" difference between 3g, 3,5g and now LTE. Wheher I´m downloading or not. The simple task of opening Pinstack on Chrome is a materr of a blink of the eye. That´s one thing we have that´s good here in Europe. Plus, we do have fiscality that is quite severe regarding false advertising.

I'm lucky to get 1.

Jeez.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    an eight-core Exynos 5 Octa CPU.
    I bet Android finds a way to lag on that processor.

I'm happy with AT&T in my area. I get 20-32mb down with my plastic receiver.

ventz,

500-600kb is inappropriate.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Ventz and Del most people tend to get confused byt the technical terminology that carriers use to advertise their data network speeds. Just try to keep this in mind:
    b stands for bit and B stands for byte. In the context of data rate units, one byte refers to 8 bits. For example, when a 1 Mb/s connection is advertised, it usually means that the maximum achievable download bandwidth is 1 megabit/s (million bits per second), which is actually 0.125 MB/s (megabyte per second), or about 0.1192 MiB/s (mebibyte per second).

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks Remy. Now, all that just translates into a simple thingamajig called speed or lack of it. I know LTE is damn fast here. And I hate going into remote areas where 3G only, is available. Even HSPDA is slow compared to 4G , but it's a better alternative.

I get to experience sprints LTE tomorrow. My backwoods hometown has it...go figure.

Hot 17Mbps today. Man was that nice. Back home where 1 is a good day.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    and what did you do Cooley to celebrate you 17Mbps ? did you download entire movies off YouTube ? ...I would

I downloaded ROMs
    Delfim likes this.

+ Reply to Thread