+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-sales-slid-37... Smartphone News forum

Article: Gartner: Apple and Samsung exploded in Q2 while BlackBerry sales s

Advertisement

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Somebody please buy RIM and put them out of their misery. It's just sad to see the articles and market reports on what was.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hmm should I post, should I defend RIM??

I started thinking where are RIM having problems? The press is all over them, they are making a loss, BB10 is delayed yet again, why did they release another PlayBook when the first one was so bad etc. etc.

For me I love the PlayBook, anyone that has used one would really like the OS (that is the latest OS), if BB10 is better than OS 2 they will have an brilliant phone, plus think about it they may grab people that don't want to run with crowd. Look at the number of celebrities still using BB's. I look around my office and there are a lot of BB's being used, same on the train, (although I must say a lot of people I talk to are beginning to carry two phones one for e-mail, texting and one for the games, web surfing etc which means they either have a BB and an S3, or a BB and an IPhone 4S, pretty affluent lot ) The BB 9900 still is extremely popular the form/feel/design is good particularly for e-mail. I also wonder if the figures about market share really mean that RIM has reduced their sales big time or alternatively that the actual market has increased with more people using smartphones (in some cases instead of computers) meaning that RIM are selling the same amount but statistically it is a smaller portion of a far larger market. Yes they have lost customers in the US but they have gained customers elsewhere. It is always difficult to judge anything by statistical figures alone.

In the States I can see why BB is no longer popular. You have to wait till the end of your contract (or close too, if you are sensible) before you upgrade. If you buy a phone you have 2 years (normal contract length) where you can either get to love all the features of your phone or you really get upset about the speed and it's capabilities. Which would you rather be tied to for 2 years, suddenly makes the S3 or the IPhone really attractive, especially if you live on it and use it for surfing, facebook, checking on your friends, finding where you are, playing games, taking pictures and so on, in fact a 4G phone becomes a must for the upload speed, then there is the upset for battery life, so many things to consider.

In my business there are people that have moved to Windows Phones, IPhones, and Androids, those that work in the office are happy with their choice, those that travel a lot start complaining about reception, e-mail, and miss their BB's, and those that work in the field, get upset about the broken screens where they dropped them and instead of the battery door coming off relieving some of the pressure on the body and thus avoiding a screen break (the weak point on solid phones) their screen breaks, add to that the battery life being even shorter as these superbly bright screened phones are continually searching for a network (some areas we go to have very little or no network coverage), because they forgot to switch the celll network off.

Yes I agree with Craig, that it is sad to see the articles, but do I want RIM to be sold, not really I don't want to see them as another also-ran, I don't want to see a corporate restructure after the sale and an OS to be killed off because some analyst has run the figures and made the assumption that Apple IOS is the king or that Android is the King and that nothing else has a chance. I want to see innovation and hunger driving the company to win, they have a good product and maybe they truly are waiting for that product to have minimal teething problems when it is released. There are BB fans out there (fanboys if you wish) that are waiting for BB10. There are others like me that use the phone that suites their business rather that the phone that has all the bells and whistles and then some. I don't need a mini computer in my pocket any more, but I do need to be able to read an e-mail, and provide a quick clear concise answer sometimes in temperatures of -40 where I don't want to remove my gloves to use a touch screen device.

Now I know you will all find my comments amusing which if is fine especially if it has cheered your day, us dinosaurs will survive at least till the next ice age or until the release of BB10 whichever arrives first
    RogerG likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    A very nice and politically correct way of making your point. I agree with most everything you said Dave I also know they just laid off another 3000
    dushdavj likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hmm you read between the lines Craig , it's strange there has been talk of them going to lay off 3000 so I knew it was coming, the strange thing is they are also recruiting. RIM has to tighten their belts and do what they can to make the company a go, difficult as it may seem, they may even do what Apple did all those years ago and be Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Where I see they have a major problem these days is their customer support, they do not help their customers much, and they are slow to respond (such as the problem with the latest PlayBook update, which in my case seems to have solved itself, however they take forever to pull the release and even longer to release a replacement), they direct you to the support forums which is run by volunteers who don't work for RIM and tend to be a bit uppity especially if you have the audacity to criticize RIM or RIM products. I think it is bad that RIM do not have at least a few people monitoring the forum. They need to be able to respond. One thing that I will say for Apple is they are pretty quick to respond to problems even when they do expect you to pay for it in some cases. Customer service is what keeps customers, brings customers back, and inspires present customers to recommend them to others, trouble is companies tend to forget this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Up until and even awhile after I got my iPhone, I was quite active in the BlackBerry Support Forums and was one of the resident "experts." While they do have RIM employees who are actually the community managers, there aren't a whole lot of RIM product support types there, for sure. They do pop in from time to time, but, same as our forum, the people answering the questions are volunteers who are "all in" when it comes to the BlackBerry platform. I follow a lot of them on Twitter and they are diehards and BlackBerry defenders to the end.

You might have better luck, Dave, following the BlackBerry support people on Twitter. Might be faster to get your answers there.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I believe the lost their focus on the market and what we were looking for. If RIM had stayed up on theme builder development, device OS updates for current models, offering the common user options and support, and most of all delivering what and when they promised or kept their mouths shut until they were really ready perhaps things would be different. Is there a lot of BlackBerry lovers still, yes will they switch maybe, some will never. Will I rid myself of my 9700 Bold never. Would I go back, yes, would I use it over my s2, absolutely not. Offer me a product that I can use on a daily basis in my position now that competes and I will consider. If I was back at work doing what I used to do then the Bold might be of use, but heavy use as emails, documents, and phone use will wear on any battery. The Bold would hold up better than my s2, is it more comfortable to use no. I have had a BlackBerry for years and it took a few months to realize that I don't miss it. How I would love to build themes for the newer devices without being a code genius. If RIM survives long live BlackBerry, if I can help them I would in a heartbeat. Give me a job.
    dushdavj likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Dave thank you, we can always count on your knowledge and support of BlackBerry and we need it. Don't stop I love your responses and you will always have my support. This is the very reason I always hang around. I love the devoted people on this site
    dushdavj likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    It is refreshing to hear such insight from a fellow Blackberry mate. Same thoughts I have (Dave put it in writing in the best way).

Thanks Dave.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Roger, I am sure you were always a gentlemen on the support forums just as you are here I was there more to check if others where having similar problems rather than looking for help. I probably will not go there very often as there were too many fanboys

I wouldn't leave Pinstack as it is a place where the people are polite and friendly we may occasionally have disagreements but we treat each other as people. This is something that Delfim posted about, how computers social networks are removing humanity since we do not see each others eye, facial expressions body movements and therefore cannot truly see if we hurt each other. Here although I have not met anyone personally I feel I know them, and therefore try and keep my posts polite. I try to not to write something that I wouldn't say to someone face to face.

I truly appreciate the fact that people here treat technology as what it is technology, they don't treat it as a friend or family, and while we will all defend what we like, we are all willing to try something else if it works better. When someone asks for advice on purchasing a phone we recommend based on what we use, but we also recommend go and try several because the best phone is the one that suits you and you enjoy using.

It's difficult to stay away from here for very long we BB users and those who have strayed and will be back have to stick together wherever in the world we are
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    This right here says it all. My wife says you don't know these people what are you doing but as you say Dave I feel as though we've all met and been friends since high school
    dushdavj and chokem like this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

You can't spend several years at a place and not feel like you know one another pretty well.

I hope one day we'll all actually be able to meet in person. I know a few of you already have and some are even planning a get together here soon (Glenn/Brandon).

Some day!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Yessir. He and I talked last night as a matter of fact. Nancy and I will be heading up to STL on Sept 8 to watch a couple of games at Busch with Brandon and Angie. Can't wait.
    RogerG likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I feel bad, though Glenn, that you'll be submitted to watching the Cardinals play baseball.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Yeah, it will be terrible having to sit there staring at all those NL Pennant and World Series winner banners. But I guess you being a Cubs fan, you probably wouldn't know anything about that. . Bwhahahahah
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast