Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...r-1.78-An-Hour... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: The Foxconn Factory Where Teenagers Are Making Your iPhone For $1.

Advertisement

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Those teenagers are also making your Kindle's,Playstation 3's,Wii's and Xbox 360's.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Their major customers are:
    Acer
    Amazon
    Apple
    Cisco
    Dell
    Gateway
    Hewlett-Packard
    Intel
    Microsoft
    Motorola
    Nintendo
    Nokia
    Samsung
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Vizio
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    All of them: great... that must make them all feel good.
    I'm elated...

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    Their major customers are:
    Acer
    Amazon
    Apple
    Cisco
    Dell
    Gateway
    Hewlett-Packard
    Intel
    Microsoft
    Motorola
    Nintendo
    Nokia
    Samsung
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Vizio
    No no, cat!

All those companies may also be clients of Foxconns, but they dont make enough money to be held responsible for cheap labor. Yes, they use it themselves but they have to cross that imaginary Billion dollar mark to be be responsible to rid the world of it's issues. After they become mega rich is when they are expected to have morals.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Putting that aside for a moment (not that I disagree in the least) Apple still has responsibility. Reports show they have ignored or simply threatened, until the story hits national news. I agree (before you come at me for picking on Apple) that each and every company has a part in this and ALL should be held responsible. Why, though, has it come to this to enforce better standards?My issue is that Apple knew about this and hasntt enforced change. Of course we dontt know if the same holds true for the other companies. My point is that because Apple has glossed over this in the past and does have huge profits, they should be targeted. (Idd support the same against any of those companies once evidence of ignoring conditions comes to light as it has with Apple)

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You guys obviously see the US picture. Ok, they're the major players but also with the EU involved.
    This isn't a question of "who". This is question of why and why again, in a different guise. This time it's not played by Governments (although played by politicians). It's played by astute businessmen that couldn't care about how you or I and the general population get exploited.
    The US was friendly in the past decades with fascist right wing murderers in South America and others in Asia. It served US purposes. And they swore blindly that was the right thing to do - well, we know it wasn't. Now it's friendly with Afghanistan and Pakistan and goodness knows who, regardless of the fact we perceive them as crooks, terrorists, religious fundamentalists ... this was then, and it's still convenient, now.
    Regardless of what civility and morals tell us. Europe did (and does) the same thing in Africa, the Middle-East, all over the place.
    All this led to wars, conflicts etc. A few thousand deaths and another million deaths here and there. Who the heck cares? As long as it doesn't affect me directly, it's fine.
    Nowadays, the "war" is world economics, globalization. It's about banks, bankers, CEO of major corporations, loan sharks etc.
    Different war this, different background and for different reasons. This isn't for the good and honour of a country (any country) and it's citizens. No siree.
    We shoouldn't be fooled.
    This particular war is good for a few.

Sorry guys. I really get pi**ed off with this. Makes me incoherent.
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-22-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Unless these audits are surprise visits theyree pointless. Cat I am only commenting on this article. I am well aware there are others, however the microscope is on Apple. There have been reports that Apple knew of these conditions and did little to rectify it. May be same issue with other companies. If so they need to be in the same boat facing the same scrutiny as Apple. Letss face it, none if us are going to stop buying Apples, Samsung, HP, or any of the others. Basically articles like this are chum for internet debates and arguments where we all show outrage but do little to effect any real change. I am guilty, i am not alone.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Blah blah blah, Change comes for within. Not from the outside. It's the same that's happened in the US and across Europe so many years ago. If the workers and Chinese want better pay and working conditions. It will be up to them to make it happen. Not Apple,Samsung,Acer or any one else that use the many factory's in china. Not just FoxConn.

Blah blah blah?
    So unless the workers revolt its OK for companies to exploit them?

Wow. I'm guessing that opinion would differ if you (or a loved one) were one of the workers.

As long as we get the devices it's all good though. Hell with them.

Apparently you missed my previous posts.
    Guess because I use an android no point I make is valid?

"
    Cat I am only commenting on this article. I am well aware there are others, however the microscope is on Apple. There have been reports that Apple knew of these conditions and did little to rectify it. May be same issue with other companies. If so they need to be in the same boat facing the same scrutiny as Apple. Letss face it, none if us are going to stop buying Apples, Samsung, HP, or any of the others. Basically articles like this are chum for internet debates and arguments where we all show outrage but do little to effect any real change. I am guilty, i am not alone."

From a few posts above.....

Guess because Samsung isntt making news about this issue the fact that Apple is is just out of hate for Apple?
    Where did I dismiss any responsibility for ANY other company?

My comments are on this article and colored by various news reports on Apples knowledge and ineffectiveness in dealing with Foxcon.
    Want until the crap hit the fan with the media did Apple acknowledge the issue. If the same thing is needed for Sammy or anyone else, then so be it.

Ivee lready admitted that I buy Samsung. That wouldntt change, nor do I expect ypudd drop your iPhone. All you or I or anyone WILL do is fight and lament the issue. To me (including my part) thatss sad. I wince at my part. I wince at my hypocritical behavior. Wish I could do something more, but dontt know how or where to begin.

Know of a smartphone not made in China?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I'm not gonna let this get out of hand, fellas.

I don't think Jay is taking an "almighty stance" at all, and in fact seems to be the only voice of reason in here at the moment.

So, everybody cool off, and if you have something to post, post it in a manner that is respectful and not condescending or defensive.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Honestly, I don't think anybody here is in a position to know what truly goes on over there. As others have pointed out, could very well be that other companies are just as involved in the same sort of exploitation as Apple is, but the fact is, because Apple just happens to be the top dog at this point in time, the scrutiny is on them, and rightly so.

I think it's naive to think that workers at a company in China would be able to rise up their own and demand those types of changes without some outside influence. If Apple was, indeed sweeping this under the rug for so long before finally being called on it, then it's quite possible that other companies will also be forced to make a play.

http://goodelectronics.org/news-en/f...ple-suppliers/

Wanted to chose a link that wasn't an android site.

FOR THE RECORD I'd hold ANY company responsible that knows and ignores.

Apple sits on a mountain of cash, making it a target. One of the pitfalls of success. Accept that, please and dontt just believe we (well ALL) android users are blind and are ignorant to the possibility of Samsung etc being included.

But what cost? We all know Apple charges a premium for its devices. Some would argue overpriced. The profits they make are in part due to cheap labor afforded them by Foxconn. If not then clearly Apple would replace them, and they know it. Hence this issue. Provide parts and labor cheap or lose supplier status.

We (all of us) want to pay an expected amount for our devices. In doing so we (you and I) encourage this. Betcha if it wasntt in the media we would look the other way. Just as guilty, all of us.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Blah blah blah?
    So unless the workers revolt its OK for companies to exploit them?

Wow. I'm guessing that opinion would differ if you (or a loved one) were one of the workers.

As long as we get the devices it's all good though. Hell with them.
    First, did I say that it was OK? No, what I said was that no one is going to change anything unless the workers do something for themselves. You can push and change whatever you wish but until the people it affects have the desire to change and to stand up for what they believe is right, nothing will. Until they are willing to SACRIFICE IT ALL nothing will change.

Would my opinion be different if it were me or a family member. NO, IT WOULDN'T. I have the desire and want to be able to provide a life for no only me and my wife but the family we want and so on down the line. I dont sit on *** and complain that there isn't a job to be had or that times are rough. I worked in many fields and paved my own way in this life. Not by complaining that "it should be this way" or "someone should do something". Ive taken the chances, risked it all, and fallen down. But never, not once give up on what I've wanted. I still work 12-13 hours a day. Sometimes 15. Most of the time Sunday I'm in the office from 0600-1100. Then again at night. Do I still need to. No. I've acumliated enough that there isn't to much I can't stroke a check for. Do I see that as being enough. No. I want my future generations to have it easier than me. That's what we as humans should drive for. I wanted change, I didn't want the normal life. And I damn sure didn't get it by accepting what I was handed. So would my opinion be different, NO. That's me. And somewhere in China, there's someone like me.

"as long as we get the devices we want, hell with 'em" - if I shed a tear for some soul that accepted his fait. That will be a first. Where there is a will there is way.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Honestly, I don't think anybody here is in a position to know what truly goes on over there. As others have pointed out, could very well be that other companies are just as involved in the same sort of exploitation as Apple is, but the fact is, because Apple just happens to be the top dog at this point in time, the scrutiny is on them, and rightly so.

I think it's naive to think that workers at a company in China would be able to rise up their own and demand those types of changes without some outside influence. If Apple was, indeed sweeping this under the rug for so long before finally being called on it, then it's quite possible that other companies will also be forced to make a play.
    It naive to think that one company is going to change a country. Did that happen here?? No, did it happen in Europe? No. It took the will of a people to make that happen. What would've happened if the original colonist waited for some outsider to help???? What would've happened if the workers of this country didn't unite to oppose very much the same thing this article is about??? Some of you need to do a history lesson. And some need to learn that the people that make a difference aren't the ones that sit around and complain about how it should be, there the ones that can make the desision to kill one to save ten.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast