+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 2 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.php?r=10593-ESSAY... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: ESSAY: How teens, parents struggle to share social media

Advertisement

cmcooley no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    None
    I have such mixed feelings about this, I think yes they should have the freedom if being on facebook, twitter etc but I also think this has increased the number of rapes, murders and/or abductions because kids aren't as safe as they should be. They may think they know a person really well because they have chatted for a while but anyone can make them self sound good on the internet. I definitely see both sides because I have been on both sides. I was a teenager on all the social media trying to "fit in" and I paid the price by making some stupid and dangerous mistakes and now wish I hadn't but I learned from those.

What really gets me is there is an age requirement for Facebook but anyone can lie or have their parents sign up for them. There's an age requirement for a reason people! When my daughter is old enough yes she can join in but not until she meets the required age.

Its just like with cell phones, kids are getting them younger and younger every day. Some may be mature enough but more times than not they aren't or they responsible enough. They think its a toy/game and use it willy-nilly and don't respect that it does cost money and this day in age with this economy those extras aren't always easy to keep. They should feel very privileged to have a cell phone and should use it wisely and respect it. Use it when it is only absolutely necessary.

I think parents today coddle their children too much and get sucked in to peer pressure and wanting their children to fit in just as much as the kids themselves do. Then there are the parents who just don't care. There's two extremes in the world now, very little middle ground and its so sad.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I am no teenager but I can tell you this having the same last name and first name as father and son can get you in trouble. A few months ago my fatha almost got me in trouble with her as he has a facebook account obviously under his name and some hotties were on his page but she thought that page was mine. I for one do not condone Facebook nor will I ever succumb to temptation. I don't need to know about every little thing people are up to.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Cas knows my opinion. If it were up to me the boys and Emma wouldn't be allowed unless I had user names and passwords.

Period.

PIN/ID
    None
    Kids get away with too much nowadays and are too wrapped up in the internet cell phone electronics etc. They rely on these devices to communicate and find friends/boy/girlfriends etc. We didn't have that when we all grew up so we had to actually interact with each other and with our families. I think it also goes for some parents as well, they are all to wrapped up in their electronics to spend quality family time together and some day they will realize that and regret it.

It was actually just on the news where they were asking what age parents would let their children have a cell phone, one mother said 6! Whaaaaaa?????? Are you kidding me, what 6 year old needs a cell phone. One father said not til they are old enough to have a job and pay for it them self. He actually has some common sense.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.". Philippians 4:13

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Making phone calls and texting one person or a group is one thing. Posting things on the internet is something entirely different.

I agree cmcooley, people are so tuned into their social media and smartphones. Scarred that they will miss something, that they miss living. I think sites like facebook create a huge problem with kids. Especially very young ones. They train them to think that they need social attention and that they need these "friends" in middle and high school. Parents are also the issue, they want their kid to be the popular one. To have 100's of "friends". When they know that none of that actually matters. Hard work and disipline should be taught from the earlist age. Also self respect.

These kids are now tuned into facebook with little to no guidance about the consequences it can have. Even adults have been stupid with this tech. People have lost jobs and ruined careers over a stupid post or pics being posted from a party. My advice, stay off Facebook. If you need to find out what someone os doing, call them, text them, or email them.

As for kids. No way in hell they should have one. It can/has ruined lives. If your friends don't want to hang out with you becasue you're not on Facebook, they aren't really your friends are they. On top of that, 95% of they people you know in middle and high school, you won't know them after. They are meaningless in your adult life and parents should let kids know this. Study hard, work hard, so you can play hard when you're an adult.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    I am no teenager but I can tell you this having the same last name and first name as father and son can get you in trouble. A few months ago my fatha almost got me in trouble with her as he has a facebook account obviously under his name and some hotties were on his page but she thought that page was mine. I for one do not condone Facebook nor will I ever succumb to temptation. I don't need to know about every little thing people are up to.

Finally, someone who spits it out as it is. Facebook users, we don't need to know what you are doing right now so stop telling us about eveytime you sleep, eat, drop, tiddle and purchase. Just summarise and leave out the boring and unimportant parts. Thanks

PIN/ID
    None
    I admit yes I am on Facebook however I very rarely "update my status" because I don't see the point. I will post new pictures or comments on the more important things in life.

People have become too open on the internet and then it usually comes back to bite them in the butt.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.". Philippians 4:13

But honey, knowing when you "Tiddle and purchase" is the highlight of my day....
    RogerG likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Oh, pish-posh Jay!
    jfcooley likes this.

Here's an update I just shr d with my wife.
    You know how they say "God is testing you"?

Today I must be taking His SAT's......
    RogerG and Delfim like this.

+ Reply to Thread