+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj
  • 1 Post By Capdot
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...d-Goes-Digital... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Encyclopedia Britannica Calls Off Its Print Edition And Goes Digit

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Good for them, I'm glad to see they have adapted and will continue.

Hey local news papers (hint, hint).

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    To be honest, I am surprised that they are still around at all. I would have thought that with how easily everything is available on-line that most people would not want to pay for this. I am glad that they are able to make it work though.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I bought it years and years ago, and received the annual update issue, when they first came out electronically (I think before Wiki's) on several CD's I bought that too. They have had an online presence for some time and is a good place to go to for actual facts rather than a Wiki that can be updated and possibly altered for political purposes. It was definitely the best encyclopedia out there, and something most people wished to have if they could afford it. Reading the article made me look back to the days when you needed to find out some facts and had to go through several volumes cross referencing writing things down with a fountain pen (that's one you put ink in ) and then supplementing it with information you found from your local library, taking a few days to complete comprehensive research, which can now be done in a matter of minutes on your cell phone.
    lak611 likes this.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I bought it years and years ago, and received the annual update issue, when they first came out electronically (I think before Wiki's) on several CD's I bought that too. They have had an online presence for some time and is a good place to go to for actual facts rather than a Wiki that can be updated and possibly altered for political purposes. It was definitely the best encyclopedia out there, and something most people wished to have if they could afford it. Reading the article made me look back to the days when you needed to find out some facts and had to go through several volumes cross referencing writing things down with a fountain pen (that's one you put ink in ) and then supplementing it with information you found from your local library, taking a few days to complete comprehensive research, which can now be done in a matter of minutes on your cell phone.
    lol yup.

In my house, growing up there were two uses for these books.

Homework and for research when it came to writing papers on our typewriter. The other was used for punishment. When my brother and I got into fist fights, our father would have us stand at attention holding one of these out... Hurt like hell, but we always learned our lesson until the next fight anyway.
    dushdavj likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    The other was used for punishment. When my brother and I got into fist fights, our father would have us stand at attention holding one of these out.
    I now have a use for my old set.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ yeah. I remember that. Damn heavy buggers... in content and weight. I swear my arms must have stretched. And this was at school and at home... I was a good kid.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I bequeathed ours to our son, who will be getting married soon, he used them for research when he was growing up, never used them as punishment, but I wish I had thought of it!!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah did that too Dave. My daughter thanked me (she's kind) my two sons looked at me and pointed to their PC's. Oh, well... I have about 7 bookcases full of reference books. Which I hope they'll take to their homes, soon, so I can install a gigantic screen on the wall left empty...But I still love paging through them. Not all. Some bad memories...my arms ache.
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread