+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

I've said it before; I'll say it again - I'm rooting for BlackBerry here (was ... Smartphone News forum

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

I've said it before; I'll say it again - I'm rooting for BlackBerry here (was about to say RIM). I've had two in the past and I felt they were solid, especially the hardware. The keyboards felt good, battery life was way better than the Androids I'm constantly plugging in and they didn't need rebooting very frequently.

The Z10 looks impressive. Will I consider it when my contract is up in May? Possibly. I'll be looking at reviews, possibly playing with one, etc. before that, but what's going to be a big factor for me is the apps that are available at the time. I'll probably go into BlackBerry World or whatever they're calling it and searching for either the same apps I'm using on Android or equivalent. Just for laughs, I started that exercise yesterday and the results were pretty disappointing. Of course, in my case, there's several months to go before I'll decide.

What worries me is that this could be the next coming of the Palm Pre. Brilliant device, but the app developers never came. I hope I'm wrong about that...I really would like to see BlackBerry 10 slide into the #3 spot, and hold it.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    We've all been rooting for them, and it does look pretty impressive. Impressive enough to win back the millions who went to other platforms? Dunno. That remains to be seen.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well you can install Android Apps on the Playbook, and I read somewhere that you can also do this on BB10, so if the Apps are not native you may still be able to Android ones.

Marcus647 Guest
    Screen size is perfect...any bigger means more energy for the screen...larger battery...heavier device. I don't want to increase the size of my pockets or have my pants fall down.
    Yes, lets wait till we actually use the device, then you'll have an opinion.
    From what I've seen this is huge step into Mobile Computing Devices.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It could, and it can still be a useful and functional smartphone.There are apps which come with the BB10 like the calendar and even email that don't have all the functions and multi-tasking capabilities of the other OS and it can be seen that some others are also a little crude and lack full capabilities.I'm sure these will be ironed out by BlackBerry and the developers involved. But even if these flaws can be considered acceptable, it shows that BlackBerry wasn't too careful with the finer points, maybe in lieu of the need to launch this smartphone at this time. It's inexcusable because they did have examples to follow.
    Regarding the size of the screen it's almost evident that their target was the iPhone 5. The interview on BBC by the director of BB in the UK showed that, especially after the interviewer insisted with the question. It never was answered.
    Now, and again this is my opinion, BB set its objective too low by targeting iOS and Apple. By the time BB will be able to penetrate the market to cement their place in the industry, which will take more than one year, Apple will have improved their hardware. Apple will also revamp their iOS and onboard apps. And then, during the second half of this year BlackBerry will again be chasing to try and keep up. In other words, BB10 will have a short life.
    Notice I didn't mention Android. If this was my base for comparison with BB10, then I'm sorry to say, it's no contest.
    And here I take my hat to Steve Jobs all the way back to 2007. If you want to win, you have to innovate, shock and make people follow. Google took up the challenge.
    I'm afraid BlackBerry hasn't learned from that.
    Last edited by Delfim; 01-31-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    chokem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    That is a good point, though. Why is it available now in the UK, but not here in the States for another month and a half?
    It's the same marketing strategy Sammy used with the Galaxy S3 - It was all over the world kicking iPhone's butt for some time before it got here. Us Americans got very, very excited about it (and jealous).

Commenting on the specs of this device listed in Roger's piece, and the reviews so far - A great phone but generic. There's nothing on it (other than proprietary carp) that hasn't been common in the smartphone world for the last 12 months. What's significant is that no manufacturer introduced anything newsworthy at CES, and I think it's because their saving their new innovative stuff for MWC - - which will come between the announcement of the Z10 and the launch. I predict it will not make a splash, and will be hidden behind new devices (introduced at MWC) from its competitors.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The MWC will be the world's showcase for new tech. Will it spring surprises? I don't think so. But it's the perfect launch pad for better and better tech that we'll see being introduced throughout the year. Barcelona is just around the corner from me, literally, but it's still too far and expensive to be able to attend without a Press invite. Maybe next year.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Well you can install Android Apps on the Playbook, and I read somewhere that you can also do this on BB10, so if the Apps are not native you may still be able to Android ones.
    The Android apps run in a software environment that emulates Android. Because of this everything takes on an Android 2.3 look.

Trust me my friend. You don't want no part in that mess.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    I don't think its going to sell well in the U.S

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    I don't think its going to sell well in the U.S with such a delay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12