+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...OT-Considering... Smartphone News forum

Article: DOT Considering Disabling Cell Phones in Moving Vehicles

Advertisement

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    What about passengers in the vehicle? Will their phones be disabled too?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    What a political can of worms this would open up. I wonder exactly what the hardware/sorftware would be to implement this? I doubt seriously if this could be done effectively and economically.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    this is nuts, it would make developers of products like Vlingo obsolete, and dont even get me started on what their "access" to disable your phone would open up them accessing in your device!!!!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's controversial to say the least. But if that's what it takes to save a single life, so be it...

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    First the TSA in your pants, and now this. I agree that something needs to be done, but good grief. I don't text enough to worry about it, but any type of phone use while driving is dangerous. I do agree with that.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    four words: never going to happen

Even if by some crazy way this is implemented, do you know how many hacks will come out? Hardware from overseas will come out. This is simply not realistic.

The better thing for DOT to do with their money and time would be to focus on creating voice control that's perfect (or close to it). example: if you can *actually* do everything via your voice, you won't need to pick up the phone.
    Another idea: how about those augmented reality windshields? It would be perfect to have some view directly infront of you. Same goes for GPS'. It would be a whole new world if it augmented on the windshield. The technology is there, the logic is there, and it's *NOT* that expensive.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    What about smartphones that have navigation software? Would you disable those? Kind of kills the entire market for those apps. Excellent point about passengers and such as well. Maybe actually coming up with a standardized law forbidding texting/driving across all states and localities would be a good first step.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Totally impractical.

Can You imagine how many idiots will be slowing down on the highway just to use the their phone. It will make an already dangerous environment even more dangerous.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    its not a bad idea.. but its just not going to happen! like Capdot said, i can see lots of ppl slowing down so they can use their phone

imagine going 5 on a 65!
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Totally impractical.

Can You imagine how many idiots will be slowing down on the highway just to use the their phone. It will make an already dangerous environment even more dangerous.
    Hehe! I totally just pictured this!
    That's hilarious.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Just what we need more government control, Not!!, what happened to personal responsibility?

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional
    idealistic? a little!

this will never happen. its sad but too many more people will die before anything is ever done.

+ Reply to Thread