+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lak611
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ater-This-Year... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Don´t Buy A Windows Phone Until Later This Year

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I could see someone waiting to get a new device, since WP8 will be coming later in the year and current devices will not get it.

However, it doesn't disappoint me all that much. Essentially I got my device free, after the $99 rebate from Nokia. As a result, it would not be too much of a big deal for me to get a WP8 device at full retail at a later point if I desire.

The way I see it is that the 7.8 OS update will provide the new features that the hardware supports, like how iPhone3GS and iPhone4 users got iOS5 features that were supported by the hardware.

NFC really isn't used much in the US, and I wouldn't use it even if it were available, just like I never use credit card "tap & go", which is available here.

I really never noticed any folks getting upset when their iPhone4 didn't get Siri. Apple is still selling the iPhone4. The folks I know who have the iPhone4 have no complaints about it. Most either got it instead of the 4S, since it was cheaper, or else they are waiting until their contract ends to get the iPhone5 or something else.
    srl7741 likes this.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I wonder if there will be ports of 8 on xda? I don't look into the win forums, but I wonder if its possible.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It would be interesting to know...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Did some reading, doesn't look like its possible. Biggest concerns I've read about seem to be app compatibility. Some users are very irritated over that.

Engadget has a letter with response to Nokia. Seemed the usual corporate response.

Think I'm going to read up more on Win. I realize I know very little about it.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Without looking deeply into everything on the surface it makes good sense as they are leaving the old and going forward with something totally new. Merging the two would be a nightmare for the user/customer.

I like the idea of turning off one in favor of moving forward with something totally new. RIM anyone?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Whilst I can see some people being annoyed that they wouldn't get the full update to Windows 8, it is more up to the people that purchased the phone prior to this announcement. Personally I would ask myself why I chose this particular phone was it because I really really really wanted a Windows 8 phone and wanted to get a going with a phone asap, or was it because I liked the Nokia and the current OS more than I liked the other OS's or I wanted to try something different. If the 2nd/3rd scenario was the case and I was enjoying the user experience, then the fact that there will be an update coming to 7.8 may not be something that I would be too worried about, and I would certainly want to ensure that if I do update to 7.8 it would not change my experience for the worst. As far as going to Windows 8 I would probably be happy to wait. It is all a matter of what a person really wants from the tech gear.

It is a similar point of view for RIM. Currently I am considering changing one of my phones to a Bold 9900, it is on OS7 not BB10 and will never go to BB10. Why would I do this, simply because I like the keyboard on the Bold and it would be specifically a work phone, the OS would work for what I want and I would have no problem that something new is to come out in a few months. Now having said that I do want to try BB10 which I believe I will have the opportunity to do on the Playbook and also if I decide to upgrade the other phone I may move to a BB10, or another OS. Similarly as I have a really fast computer tower, when my personal notebook dies I am likely to purchase the pro version of Microsoft Surface rather than another notebook or ultrabook, this is not a Playbook replacement rather a notebook replacement specifically for traveling having 128 Gb drive.

So what am I saying here, choose your gear carefully to suite your requirements, then it should not worry you if some new software comes out 6 months down the road. If what you choose works well why should you worry. New software/phones/computers will be developed on a daily basis, it is not possible to continue to update/upgrade to every new toy. As I mentioned in another post I want to replace my camera, I have been considering this for a couple of years (yes that's right 2 years) during which time several new Nikon's (which is the DSLR I use) have come out, I have looked at the specs of each new model, I am not worried by budget although I would find it hard to justify spending $4000 for a body as I am not a professional, but looking at each model and what they can or cannot do, and what I want to do with it, plus taking into consideration weight, looks, quality, pixel density etc, I am still looking at the D90 which is far from the latest and greatest but it does everything I would want or need, plus it is coming down in price because it has been out for a while.

The various tech articles will center on the latest and greatest and highlight the people that are upset but will never focus on the majority that are happy with what they have and will probably not even upgrade to the next compatible OS, for one reason and one reason only they need to encourage people to spend money on the next big thing because if they don't the authors of the articles will have nothing to write about
    lak611 likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    After all that, I'm quitting...actually I'm just watching Czech Rep vs Portugal. Just checking in...

+ Reply to Thread