+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...he-PC’s-Future... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: IN DEPTH: Windows 8 - One Step Closer to the PC’s Future

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I'm still waiting to get it. I want to download the ISO and run it in a virtual machine, but the site is slow since everyone and their mother is grabbing it now.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    So if you download this version, what happens when it goes official? Do they make you buy a copy? Do you get a discounted copy?

PIN/ID
    no more
    Probably like any other previous beta or release candidate version. The license will expire once it is officially released. I had the beta and RC of 7.

Microsoft typically doesn't give any discount to folks who use beta versions. I bought Windows 7 on its release date. But if you have Windows 7, you can probably buy the upgrade, rather than the full version, which would be cheaper.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm excited about it's release b/c of what it's going to do to the corporate world. The heart attack rate in the corporate I.T world is going to increase.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I'm excited about it's release b/c of what it's going to do to the corporate world. The heart attack rate in the corporate I.T world is going to increase.
    I doubt if most corporations will adopt Windows 8 anytime soon. Many are still running XP or in the process of switching to 7.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Exactly! and it's only a matter of time before they will be forced to go forward. I have to use XP still, it's pretty neat to watch I.T fight every step. They run out of excuses eventually. I won't ever see 8 b/c i will be retired by then but progress is still being made with every new release by Microsoft and I love it. It's also interesting to watch how much work does not get done at work and rather gets done while mobile or out of the office.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Exactly! and it's only a matter of time before they will be forced to go forward. I have to use XP still, it's pretty neat to watch I.T fight every step. They run out of excuses eventually. I won't ever see 8 b/c i will be retired by then but progress is still being made with every new release by Microsoft and I love it. It's also interesting to watch how much work does not get done at work and rather gets done while mobile or out of the office.
    You're right about mobile, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies issue Windows 8 tablets.

It's not always IT that doesn't want to upgrade. Sometimes it's the IT department's bosses. I have a friend who is an IT guy at a law firm. He finally got approval to upgrade to Windows 7 this year. He wanted to do it a long time, but he didn't have the approval or the funds previously.
    Laura

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^^ I would agree with Laura here, quite a number of computers in our offices are still running XP, we are slowly migrating since Windows 7 has had good reviews throughout, and I believe Microsoft is no longer supporting XP. It was a long time before companies upgraded to XP, and the number of computers which came with Windows 7 pre-installed that were downgraded to XP was amazing.

So Windows 8 probably 2014
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    You're right about mobile, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies issue Windows 8 tablets.

It's not always IT that doesn't want to upgrade. Sometimes it's the IT department's bosses. I have a friend who is an IT guy at a law firm. He finally got approval to upgrade to Windows 7 this year. He wanted to do it a long time, but he didn't have the approval or the funds previously.
    It's the same around me. The bosses are protecting their jobs by undermining the entire work force below. I realize it's more complicated than that and money along with other things are factors but my point is the old school model is not working and those who refuse to change are fun to watch.

The trend around me has been for the top CEO's along with their chosen followers to implement their personal choice devices and go off network in order to get things done. That has mushroomed into the masses (staff) seeing this and "saying" hey! I want that too and now all the sudden I.T has lost it's tight grip on everything. We are so fragmented it's not even funny.

If they would simply take a look at the larger picture it could all be prevented. Remember when going to work meant you got to use the best/coolest tech stuff and it was so neat to use because it made work so much better? Now it's just the reverse and I'm enjoying the trend.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.723 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Oh definitely. It isn't work gives you the BlackBerry. Now it's you take your iPhone to work.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread