+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

^^^ Rich I would say you are exactly right in your assessment. The only positive ... Smartphone News forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Advertisement

^^^ Rich I would say you are exactly right in your assessment. The only positive thing I suppose is that as blackberry's do not currently have the best memory management for apps most users do not have many on the phones, not like Apple for example where probably you would have 10 times the number of Apps that a BB user would have, this is likely to change for the BB with the new OS. Similar problem would occur if you were to be going from BB to IPhone or IPhone to Android, the difference in this case is you would be staying with the same manufacturer but changing OS
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    ^^^ Rich I would say you are exactly right in your assessment. The only positive thing I suppose is that as blackberry's do not currently have the best memory management for apps most users do not have many on the phones, not like Apple for example where probably you would have 10 times the number of Apps that a BB user would have, this is likely to change for the BB with the new OS. Similar problem would occur if you were to be going from BB to IPhone or IPhone to Android, the difference in this case is you would be staying with the same manufacturer but changing OS
    You brought up a point that I kind of danced around. A common perception is that with BlackBerry and Apple anyway that Manufacturer=OS. I think of BlackBerry as a generic. This will no longer be true. Essentially, it seems BlackBerry will be supporting 2 different operating systems that don't have much to do with one another. In a way, I think RIM should have renamed BB 10 to something else, because it isn't what we know as the BlackBerry OS. Of course, they don't want to completely destroy the BlackBerry name. Despite everything that is going on, BlackBerry still has an excellent quality reputation and millions of users.

But, as I mentioned, they're going down a similar road as Microsoft -> Windows Mobile 6 and below, then Windows Phone 7 and above. Much confusion and they're having an extremely difficult time getting traction. Using the words "Mobile" and "Phone" to differentiate two totally different platforms didn't work. Same with Palm/HP...first you had Palm OS, then webOS. Both quality products, totally different. The new one killed the old one, but didn't get market share. Bad combination and we saw what happened.

I hope that RIM learns from this. They need to be very clear about what they're doing and how they're going to accomplish it and how they're going to deal with their legacy customers. Despite their slipping market share, there are still tons of BlackBerrys out there and they need to get aggressive with retaining as many customers as they can. The new stuff is mostly for the new customers; making the old stuff work on the new stuff is a way to keep the existing ones. I'm not sure how they'll balance that...
    RogerG likes this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by richmo58 View Post
    I hope that RIM learns from this. They need to be very clear about what they're doing and how they're going to accomplish it and how they're going to deal with their legacy customers. Despite their slipping market share, there are still tons of BlackBerrys out there and they need to get aggressive with retaining as many customers as they can. The new stuff is mostly for the new customers; making the old stuff work on the new stuff is a way to keep the existing ones. I'm not sure how they'll balance that...
    I think RIM has less to worry about re: legacy apps. I used BlackBerry for 4 years, but I really did not have a lot invested in apps, mainly because I could not run many apps anyway, due to the memory issues. The apps were a big issue that caused me to leave BlackBerry. It would take more and better apps to bring me back.

The main apps that I used were things like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, BerryReader, etc. Most of the other platforms have free apps for weather and RSS feeds from Google News. QuickLaunch really is not necessary on a touchscreen device, like the new BB10 device.

If anything, I see those legacy app developers like Bellshare disappearing, since their legacy apps will be obsolete. For example, if Bellshare were to develop weather and RSS feed apps for Windows Phone, I would not buy them. I have an Accuweather app that is free and an app called Reader2Go that is free.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

tingfengainiaini no está en línea Stack level 1
    I wonder to know what would my dear bb like , such days ,or years later

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12