+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...kBerry-7-to-10... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: The Day After: There's no upgrade path from BlackBerry 7 to 10

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nothing we really didn't know or expect.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well, at least 8 and 9 are out the way...

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    What I would question, and maybe someone can answer that's paying close attention to this, is whether native BlackBerry applications written for BB OS 7 and below will work on a BB 10 device? I'm getting from this article that if you have a BB 7 device, you can't upgrade it to BB 10. That I get, but what about the apps? A parallel to this could be when Microsoft went to Windows Phone 7, they basically abandoned Windows Mobile 6.5 and below...no compatibility whatsoever. They're still paying the price for that as seen by their market share.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I would venture to guess that there's no way apps built for BB7 and below will be compatible with BB10.

One would hope that since RIM is so intent on getting and retaining developers, they will have access (as they do from BBWC) to the new OS so as to get their apps ready prior to the release of the new device and OS. This is where they have failed in the past.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    From experience I remember the problems I had when BB went from OS 5 to O6. And then again to OS 7. Nothing worked. I had to wait quite a while for the developers to catch up...I hope RIM doesn't repeat that this time round.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    From experience I remember the problems I had when BB went from OS 5 to O6. And then again to OS 7. Nothing worked. I had to wait quite a while for the developers to catch up...I hope RIM doesn't repeat that this time round.
    Some apps were just abandoned. For example SiriusXM only works on OS 5 or earlier devices.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

If BB10 is based on the Playbook's Os, then there is no transfer of information. None of the data on my Bold running 6.0 is transferable to the Playbook. Calendar, contacts, memos, nothing. However, using Bluetooth and the BlackBerry Bridge app, all of the information is available and it's fast. QNX and BB10 are a completely different package than the old BB OS!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Apps from the BB phone will not work on the Playbook as they are written in a different language, since BB10 is basically the Playbook OS those Apps won't work but the Playbook ones will, many apps are currently being translated. Obviously the old apps will still be available for those still on OS6 and above. As mentioned earlier this happens normally software is updated for the new OS so it works more efficiently
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    It would be nice if some of those old apps, like the SiriusXM app, end up being updated for BB10/Playbook. I didn't care about SiriusXM when I used a BlackBerry, since I never had a SiriusXM subscription; however, I know a lot of people were peeved when they upgraded their BlackBerries and lost that app.

BB10 should be much better if all the Playbook apps run on BB10. Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space are available, and so are a lot of other games. That is a good start.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Another thing I'd like to see on BB10 is the ability to install previously purchased Playbook apps on the BB10 devices.

I know that iPhone apps can be installed on iPads. One of my friends had an iPhone prior to getting an iPad, and the apps did not need to be repurchased.

RIM needs to allow previously purchased Playbook apps to run on the BB10 devices without requiring any additional purchases.
    Laura

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Keep in mind some of those older OS Apps may face challenges with simple things like navigation (physical keyboard vs touch). BB10 is touch which may have a lot to do with leaving some things behind. I'm not certain but have to guess its a factor.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well, as much as I want BB to succeed I'm taking a far at the back of the room seat, incognito.
    RIM hasn't much of a credit record in following through with what they announce or promise to launch.
    Not wanting to sound incredulous, I'll venture that within 6 months something else worthwhile will pop up from RIM that will, then, be the answer to all the misery.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Something that has not been mentioned so far, the developer phone is running the playbook OS, not BB10. BB10 is yet to be released, so based on this I believe that all the apps on the playbook will work on the new phone. I also seem to remember that RIM were waiting for a new chipset to be released for the phone (which will likely also be in the new Iphone). Cascades is being made ready (from The Astonishing Tribe TAT) to ensure it all flows nicely together.

So if it really comes together it will be a good phone which those who like BB will buy, it may even get some non BB people who want a change be willing to give it a try
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I guess what I was getting at is that, for those trading a BlackBerry phone for a new BB10 phone will have to start over with applications, particularly those that were purchased. In the past, if you upgraded your BB phone, you could generally bring your purchased apps along with you. If the BB10 has no backward compatibility, that won't be the case.

There may well be cases where the developer of your purchased (BB 7) apps creates a new version for BB10 and gives it to you, but that's up to the developer. And many developers of these older apps may not be around or may choose not to develop for BB10 if its that much different.

If this is all true, my guess is that those that have older BB devices with software investment in them will stick with the BB 7 devices that also are coming out.

This looks like the same thing Microsoft and Palm/HP ran into with their new mobile OS...the device may be ready before enough developers are onboard.

Finally, while there may be some kind of upgrade path from the Playbook, this is a phone we're talking about, not a tablet. So far, I don't see the Playbook as having enough sales to make much of an impact on the BB10 phone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast