+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-You-Need-Them... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Cover Is An Android-Only Lockscreen That Shows Apps When You Need

Advertisement

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Could someone tell me why this would need your home and work address? I thought it was an app to give you apps when you need them from your lock screen. I already have 8 to go to now

Ok ok I ready it again and now I understand why but really I'm not looking for suggestions for apps when I'm at home just let me plug in the one's I want

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I think you can. I've signed up and am hoping to get picked.

Will share of course if I can.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Seems like an OK idea. It won't take off outside the "I gotta tweak everyday" crowd. This is why Samsung has done well. They've gotten away from the Droid thing and created something that is pretty nice to use out of the box. Stable systems that you don't have to learn each year but with new features are what keep customers. Apple understands this, Samsung understands this also. That's why you haven't seen a huge shift in the way the GUI looks on the GS4. People don't want change. In fact, they hate it. It's a fact, people only want change when they decide that they want it. That's the only time they're going to accept it with open arms.

While this is a neat idea and will probably be successful(not huge) for the developers. It won't attract the main stream users. Plus, I would imagine that the already bad battery life on Android will get even worse when this is on. That alone will cause users to delete it in a matter of days. It's like reminders with location based notifications on iOS, great in concept and will be useful at some point, but that day isn't today for me. Until battery tech makes a major improvement or GPS gets bluetooth LE type efficiency, the apps are worthless in the real world.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    might not be too bad if you can use Greenify etc to put it to sleep when not in use

Psst, GPS is only using battery when an app activates it.
    I'd wager that location can be used with triangulation as weather apps can now.

As for adoption, it will take off enough. Samsung, LG, Moto, and HTC already offer shortcuts from the lock screen stock. They even allow you to change them...and have for years.

This takes that same concept and offers users the ability to have them contextually aware using location and/or user history. Add functionality similar to Blackberry's peek it becomes very functional.

When Android limits its functionality and becomes walled I would suspect you'll see that "horrible" battery life (or to phrase it differently "not iPhone like, cause that's what you were alluding to) improve to your standards.

It really isn't the day for you. You won't like it until Apple copies, renames, then pretends to "innovate" it. Wait, only Samsung copies....never mind. I'm biased and ALWAYS hating....

Just disregard.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Yes. GPS only activates when an app uses it. But this is location based. So yes, just as I mentioned about reminders on iOS. It has to constantly gather that info. Albeit at intervals, it's still on more than usual. Therefor using more resources. There no way around that and there won't be. What will have to happen is either better battery's or better LE wifi chips.

I have no no doubt that it will take off. Just not to the point that you'll see an adoption rate over 2-3% of users(yes, that's a big number)

Android doesn't have to go to a "walled" system(I think should for users sake) to achieve efficient battery life. There's things that can be done but it will take Samsung to do them. Google doesn't care enough to rewrite Android for it. But that's them, they're an ad selling company, hardware and software will always come second.

Points taken and although I disagree, I can still respect them. After all, one can not learn from thinking he's knows everything. Opposing views and opinions MUST be taken in. I've been made to rethink my stance on subjects by different views and listening to them. I hope you have too.

i

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    might not be too bad if you can use Greenify etc to put it to sleep when not in use
    The issue is, with location based services. They have to be in use. You can't shut something down like this and expect it to function as intended. That's not the way location based services work.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well I guess we'll see, it seems weather apps are location based services. My location based apps shut down when the screen is off and operation when the screen is on. So why wouldn't this work the same?

Let me use AutomateIt as an example.
    It uses either GPS, triangulation, or other user defined triggers to activate rules.

Now I don't know about Cover, but let's assume a few things may be similar to AutomateIt. I can define the polling intervals for triangulation as well as times it polls. Example would be between 5-6 am. As well it can poll the motion sensors to determine if I'm moving in a car or walking and trigger rules based on those parameters.

Given the capital raised for this project I'm going to assume (until I get to use or read otherwise) that these same methods are in use. I'll also assume that battery usage has been taken into account. Whatever method is being employed is most likely also determined by the user. Similar to weather apps giving the option for GPS/triangulation and howcMaps uses the same.

As for the other options, I can't see any way the user cannot add/limit what apps are displayed. Additionally, if the app determines that at time x and location x you use YouTube, then you've used it enough that the slight hit to the battery would be hardly noticed. Not the best way to describe it, but I mean you've used that app enough to get noticed so you're used to the battery used.

Standing out in the Market is the only (aside from development) hurdle I see. Honestly I see it being bought or adopted by a larger entity. Would not be surprised to see the app and its algorithms integrated into AOSP, AOKP or Touchwiz at some point.

Greenify may or may not work. If it does I would say only for memory savings. The app (could...guessing) wake itselfto poll then be Greenified. May work like that on its own. AutomateIt dones little to my battery so I've never considered using greenify on it.

This is all speculation since no details have been released on how the app works. I still would assert that however it works, the ideas and principals are sound enough for investing.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Sounds logical to me Jay. I am a light weight user when it comes to battery unless I'm doing alot of backing up or flashing and setup. On average because I'm retired and not on the go I am at 70+% at the 12 hour mark. So Battery is not my concern.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    It's definitely worth trying out. Maybe even investing in for Samsung or HTC. Maybe Google but I don't see that. I will say that the caveat for the app, if it works like you speculate. Is all that setup. People can't set up email to work for them, they don't take the time because there are just too many options to go through. Good convo. Enjoyed. Touch back in this once you have it. I'd be interested to know how it works.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    sounds nice but also sounds like a marketing app with adds to download other apps...if the app developers pay...get my drift ?

Maybe setup will be needed. Looking at the description I will bet it doesn't require root. Without root setup has to be a bit simpler. Granted there are always those that will be lazy.

As for AF selling, I see the potential for misuse. However I'm wondering if that will be scaleable or even be an option. Perhaps an eventual paid version. Will have to see.

https://www.coverscreen.com/faq

A few answers. Its using the sensors within the device as well as GPS. Leads me to believe choice is built in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast