+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...n-For-The-Week... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Cartoon For The Week

Advertisement

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Hahaha. So true. Everyone wants a handout. I had a good laugh at those idiots holding signs saying they want $15/hr for flipping burgers.

Last edited by BP41; 09-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
    Hahaha. So true. Everyone wants a handout. I had a good laugh at those idiots holding signs saying they want $15/hr for flipping burgers.

Well you can't blame the fastfood workers for wanting higher wages. The amount of money McDonalds, BK, etc makes yearly; they can afford to pay more. Besides you need some to take your orders right; i know i do.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    Well you can't blame the fastfood workers for wanting higher wages. The amount of money McDonalds, BK, etc makes yearly; they can afford to pay more. Besides you need some to take your orders right; i know i do.
    You miss the point...

Those jobs aren't worth 15 an hour. hell, I know people that would quit their jobs to go flip burgers for 15 an hour.

and besides, like you said, these companies are successful and have been paying their employees minimum wage for years and people keep going back, so the customer service can't be that bad.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    You're right, I don't blame them for wanting higher wages. I blame them for wanting higher wages for the same job that they get paid an adequate wage for. These are stepping stone jobs. Flipping burgers isn't a career.

Lets just put this in business terms. What they don't understand is that if they start paying $15/hr. All of those that are protesting for it will be out if a job. If the business owner is going to have to pay $15/hr to a person. That person will then take 2-3 jobs of those that make the $8/hr now.

Bottom line is, if you want more money. Do what's required to make it.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    So I'm out of touch. Someone is demanding more for flipping burgers?

BHP is right (yeah I'm agreeing with you) those aren't career jobs. Hell, I'm busting my butt for less than $10 so I can move up.

Just remember not everyone who gets help wants a handout...

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    So I'm out of touch. Someone is demanding more for flipping burgers?

BHP is right (yeah I'm agreeing with you) those aren't career jobs. Hell, I'm busting my butt for less than $10 so I can move up.

Just remember not everyone who gets help wants a handout...
    Sometimes you have to start over. You have to live for the future while learning from the past. i don't believe in chance or luck. It's hard work and the will to succeed no matter what.

I'm all for helping people that want to help themselves. That's the people that should be getting help. I'll be the first one to throw out my hand to help pull someone like that up. I want them to succeed. I want them to be better than me. That' is what we as a species should strive for. To help those that don't want it, achieve something they do. That's moving forward.

As far as this wage at fast food is concerned. They remind me of the 99% protest. Wanting what someone else has worked for for nothing.

And that hat all I have to say about that..

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Having lived in multiple countries I personally am disgusted in the labor laws in a country that is purported to be a 1st world country. To have such a low minimum wage, to see that a lot of people do not get paid vacations, to see how the burger joints ensure people do not quite get enough hours to be considered full time workers and then to see the massive profits these companies make is close to criminal. If and only if these jobs were for those to use as a stepping stone where you could work your way up maybe it would not be so bad, but with the unemployment levels standing were they are this is exploitation. If a company cannot pay higher salaries particularly in the fast food business then maybe they shouldn't be in business, if they can pay higher salaries in the UK and still make a profit does this mean they are better businessmen? No! Many people have to rely on these jobs as one of the multiple jobs to support their families

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    you guys are just fortunate that you don't have to deal with trade unions. if workers are unhappy, they might burn your business to the floor with all your company vehicles, equipment, machinery and stock.

I can say that day in and day out I see entitled behavior.
    While my job isn't spectacular I can say that I've been treated well.

I work hard and I know it. I expected to be just another cog in the wheel but because there are so many just doing enough to get by I got noticed. I've been told I'm the #1 candidate for a spot that is two positions above me, with a decent raise. If anyone asks I e told them its due to hard work, not behaving as if I'm owed just because I'm there.

And that's a prevalent attitude I see in some. Wasting time talking, playing with their phones, moving slowly. I see so many get upset when their called out on it. They behave as if they should be thanked for showing up. I feel as if they think the paycheck is owed to them, not as if they have to work for it.

When I was a store manager I saw this all the time as well in candidates. They want $20 an hour to start, don't want to work nights or weekends, and couldn't handle most situations. I've tried to teach my boys that nothing comes from acting like that, that they need to work hard and take pride in what they do no matter what it is they are doing.

A man can be judged by how he does his work, not the work he does.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Having lived in multiple countries I personally am disgusted in the labor laws in a country that is purported to be a 1st world country. To have such a low minimum wage, to see that a lot of people do not get paid vacations, to see how the burger joints ensure people do not quite get enough hours to be considered full time workers and then to see the massive profits these companies make is close to criminal. If and only if these jobs were for those to use as a stepping stone where you could work your way up maybe it would not be so bad, but with the unemployment levels standing were they are this is exploitation. If a company cannot pay higher salaries particularly in the fast food business then maybe they shouldn't be in business, if they can pay higher salaries in the UK and still make a profit does this mean they are better businessmen? No! Many people have to rely on these jobs as one of the multiple jobs to support their families
    The opportunity for better pay is there. They just don't take it. Let's not pick out 1 person out of 1000 that's using it as a second job. Bottom line is, these people feel they want double what their being paid for. It's not a job that's worth it. You have to start low and work your way up. If you have to work two jobs then ok. Do it. Don't bitch about it. Like I said, they don't understand that if that wage was standard. Not ONE of them would have a job. I'm going to find someone who is far more qualified to make that wage. And they'll do the job of 2-3. And why is it that because a company makes a profit, some feel that wages should go up??? Apple makes massive profits, should they pay their retail employees $50/hr?

BHP, I agree with some but not all.
    While these folks that want more for flipping burgers are a bit much there are jobs that require a lot of hard work that pay minimum or a little more. Not everyone can move up.

I had a job as a supervisor. The jump in pay went from $7.25 to $7.50. I had all the responsibility from the first position added to my supervising position. Hardly fair wage for handling 2 spots and giving up every weekend with my boys. He just didn't want to, or couldn't afford to pay more. He went out of business, and we had a revolving door of employees. No one was willing to stay for such low pay/high workload even as a second job.

Companies are already expecting employees to do the work of 2-3 for the same pay. No benefits or they're so high its hard to afford them. Being listed as part-time doesn't even qualify you for vacations or other benefits.

When I first started working eons ago getting decent pay for decent work wasn't difficult. Just work hard. That's not as easy now. Many things to blame, but it doesn't help that companies sit on huge cash reserves and continue to cur hours while proudly reporting profit increases.

Those that want something for nothing should be ashamed. However, those working hard and simply want to make ends meet are getting left behind. Food is going up, gas is going up, daily expenses are going up but wages aren't.

Probably not the best explanation of my side on this but ya get me?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    BHP you and I are often on the same page and while I am against anyone believing they are entitled to something I know enough people who work or have worked in the fast food industry to know it is a thankless job were they are often treated poorly by management and customers add to that they rarely recognized for hard work. Yes it should be a stepping stone whilst you continue your education but often they are not provided with the opportunity to work hours that will work in with college. Once the country has a proper employment level then the salaries will have to go up. I have spent 45 years in the work force and have pushed worked hard, educated myself and moved countries multiple times to get where I am today, but I am truly glad I never worked in the fast food industry. These people deserve respect

It is not one person in a 1000 that is doing 2 jobs when I lived in Texas the majority were and still finding it difficult to feed their families. I wish I could agree that the chance for higher pay was there they just don't want it, why would anyone turn down more money?
    Last edited by dushdavj; 09-03-2013 at 07:45 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I heard these guys want $15 per hour. Shooooot, if that's the case I guess I can burn my degree and apply at my nearest fast food joint. Hell, I only make an additional $2 now.

+ Reply to Thread