+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ly-a-good-Idea... Smartphone News forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Article: Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), Is it really a good Idea?

Advertisement

Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's good for the bosses. Firstly no written contracts or liabilities in the books. Hence, costs presented by employees are a direct operational expenditure. Also, they tend to pay you less than what you've spent...on their behalf.
    It's been working like that for ages here in Europe. No brainer.
    Now, the major corporations that want to control your life via a phone will supply you, usually a cheap BB 8520 or a Nokia and then the IT's run circles around you. The costs obviously are paid by the corporations, but then they do fix a limit for calls. Over that and they are into your pocket, or should I say, into your salary.
    Unless you're forced into that as part of your job tools, nobody buys into their schemes. Or try not to. The Labor Unions have a whole manual on this...much less BYOD stuff. What? My phone and they control it? Forget it.
    So in the end, the only come-short character in this story is always you, the employee.
    BYOD - nope, thank-you!
    Much the same in the EU with company cars. They pay you a supplement on your salary and you provide the car. Yikes. No thank-you.
    Unfortunately, a lot of unemployed are falling into these traps because of the need they have.
    Like vultures the bosses grab any morsel of profit they can.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Are people really that gullible? I have never had a company car as I don't do a job that necessitates one and I didn't like the idea of the tax I would have to pay. When I need a car for business I rent one, which is fun as I have a choice of vehicles. BYOD in the long run is not good for the company or the employee
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    There seems to be something very strange with this site. I cannot publish the article. Each time I try it will show up over and over. Do you have to have certain privileges to publish?

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj
    There seems to be something very strange with this site. I cannot publish the article. Each time I try it will show up over and over. Do you have to have certain privileges to publish?
    I see it as being published three times. I'm not sure why.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    No idea. PS works in strange ways. Maybe the repetitive posts is deliberate. Just to stress the point...

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    IDK? I'm not sure I can buy it from that perspective. Those considerations are all valid but not always part of "why" it's not occurring.

Remember the days where you went to work and everything you touched/used was years ahead of anything you may have access to at home. Remember when your employer was cutting edge with tech and tools available?

Today most every business is years behind anything we may have at home related to technology. In many cases our employers will never equal what we may chose to use at home or more importantly away from work. Take a look at the psychology of "why" or "what" is happening. I think you will find the answer in there somewhere and of course when 90 of 100 employees want something in many cases they will win out in an attempt to keep people happy and productive while at work.

Public and Private employers differ a lot but the sediment is about the same with those of us who work each day and have become frustrated with the lack of progress (updated technology) in the work environment.

When my work computer or anything supplied by my employer stops working or goes down, I use someone else's device to send and email filing out a "work ticket" requesting it be fixed. DAYS...... later it will be fixed at some time while I was not there.

Meanwhile when you have BYOD and there is a mishap, you decide instantly how to fix/solve the issue and move on without missing a beat. We go from a system of dealing with Admin, Finance, IT, division heads to just ME.

I realize every business is different but those are a few reasons why we may be seeing the BYOD model show up.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    IDK? I'm not sure I can buy it from that perspective. Those considerations are all valid but not always part of "why" it's not occurring.

Remember the days where you went to work and everything you touched/used was years ahead of anything you may have access to at home. Remember when your employer was cutting edge with tech and tools available?

Today most every business is years behind anything we may have at home related to technology. In many cases our employers will never equal what we may chose to use at home or more importantly away from work. Take a look at the psychology of "why" or "what" is happening. I think you will find the answer in there somewhere and of course when 90 of 100 employees want something in many cases they will win out in an attempt to keep people happy and productive while at work.

Public and Private employers differ a lot but the sediment is about the same with those of us who work each day and have become frustrated with the lack of progress (updated technology) in the work environment.

When my work computer or anything supplied by my employer stops working or goes down, I use someone else's device to send and email filing out a "work ticket" requesting it be fixed. DAYS...... later it will be fixed at some time while I was not there.

Meanwhile when you have BYOD and there is a mishap, you decide instantly how to fix/solve the issue and move on without missing a beat. We go from a system of dealing with Admin, Finance, IT, division heads to just ME.

I realize every business is different but those are a few reasons why we may be seeing the BYOD model show up.
    Excellent post, except for the misspelling of "sentiment". At my work our computers are solidly 8 to 10 years behind modern tech, and every repair or replacement of a physical device takes 30 days. Most of my admin is done on personal devices that I bring in (particularly the PlayBook).

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    The main issue is that the costs of software licenses and hardware are so expensive. An enterprise might have some specific software that it needs, and it only runs on legacy hardware; or updating to a newer version of the software requires new hardware and retraining of the employees to use the new software. Due to the expense, the business keeps the old hardware around.

For personal use, it is different. Consumers will upgrade their hardware in order to be able to play the latest and greatest version of Diablo (I just used that as an example, but it doesn't just apply to games).
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I suppose I am lucky being in the business I am, since we need the fastest processors, best graphics cards (for 3D rotations, often use gaming machine) and so tend to upgrade quite quickly. We were using 3DVisualization rooms long before 3D TV's etc., we had the capability to project a 3D and be in the middle of it to aid in the interpretation of various subsurface horizons, it was pretty amazing but tending to give you a splitting headache after a while which is why I never rushed to see 3D movies or buy 3D TV's

This is probably why I stayed in the industry I am, purely because I love playing with new toys/software/etc., and I have had the opportunity to do so and to travel to many places over the years so I did not have time to get bored. Funny though we never used Apple products, not sure why since they have always been known for excellent graphics capabilities, may have been due to cost or incompatibility with external add-ons such as SCSI tape drives for I/O.

+ Reply to Thread