+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...us-RIM-is-Dead... Smartphone News forum

Article: Boy Genius: RIM is Dead

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

We were talking aboit this earlier He makes some valid points......other things, not so much.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    He must have been reading my mind while I was asleep over the last few years

On a serious note tho, there are soo many more things left out of this article that have impacted where they are today. Good read, just makes me want more of the facts behind why? To all the questions people have.

If Windows Mobile takes off with Nokia RIM can kiss that boat goodbye too. RIM is in a real pickle and I think they will have to get themselves out of it. A buy out or partial sale is not the answer, it's too late for that too.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you follow BlackBerry on Twitter you'd notice that they are giving a lot of stuff away via contests and such. They are giving away BB10 devices to developers and like 70 9900s in 70 days.

They are really trying but it will definitely take a miracle to turn things around for them.

Hey Roger, the software says you've posted two comments - but I don't see them -

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post

If you follow BlackBerry on Twitter you'd notice that they are giving a lot of stuff away via contests and such. They are giving away BB10 devices to developers and like 70 9900s in 70 days.

They are really trying but it will definitely take a miracle to turn things around for them.
    I think the big issue is that these developers are small potatoes, like the guys who create knock-off Playbook apps such as Angry Farm instead of Angry Birds. Yes, I know Playbook now has the real Angry Birds, but that took a long time. Most of these knock-off apps are not something that consumers want.

Big companies like Netflix are not going to create BlackBerry apps if RIM gives them free prototype devices.

No developers are going to bother developing for the OS7 devices, since those will be dead or only available in 3rd-world countries once BB10 is released.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    Hey Roger, the software says you've posted two comments - but I don't see them -
    Hm. What software?

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Third world countries is where it is at for my themes. My sales are increasing and selling in 29 countries. I'm hoping RIM hangs in there long enough to release 7.0 theme builder, that will help me even more

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Am I representative of the average consumer? I just don't care....

Don't get me wrong, would be pleased to see RIM bail out and become as successful as they were. On the whole though I feel that blackberry would have to offer me (as Joe Shmoe) something that Android or iOS doesn't. Thats where my interest wanes.

See, I liked the bb I had, but never really got into them as you guys did. I had 2. So I look at it as I guess the average bear out looking for a new device would.

I don't forsee anything amazing, know what I mean? If I owned a smartphone before, the odds are good I am going to stay where I am. If I haven't then I will go on either price, or what someone I know is using. If I compare a bb, android, and iPhone now....well I just don't see the bb coming out on top.

Basically one of the points made in the article, I know.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^ That's true as more current BB users contracts expire they are not looking at another one. They are finally getting a chance to see what the buzz is all about with Apps and Touch screens.

Companies are still shoving BB devices down the employees throats but that is changing where they are handing it back and using their own (BYOD). RIM is battling numerous things which I just don't see them winning.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    RIM has a slim to none chance of winning back the companies that have chosen to move on. Sounds to me from what I've read is they are figuring a plan to hold on to whom they have, and that only chance is the BB and the Playbook connection. Because the only talk on the street is the playbook, no one is talking about BB phone Devices. JMO this comes froma devoted BB addict who can't even sleep cause I'm so happy playing with my SII

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    RIM has a slim to none chance of winning back the companies that have chosen to move on. Sounds to me from what I've read is they are figuring a plan to hold on to whom they have, and that only chance is the BB and the Playbook connection. Because the only talk on the street is the playbook, no one is talking about BB phone Devices. JMO this comes froma devoted BB addict who can't even sleep cause I'm so happy playing with my SII
    I have yet to spot a Playbook in the wild.

I've seen many iPads, Nooks, and Kindle Fires. I've seen one HP Touchpad.

I've even seen an HP Slate 2, which is a tablet PC, not a tablet (it runs Windows 7 Professional).

That's it for tablets so far. I've never seen the Playbook, Xoom, or any of the other not-so-hot selling tablets.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I have yet to spot a Playbook in the wild.
    I have not either, it's odd. Everyone has the kindle or iPad

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I'll just stick with my Nook running ICS
    lak611 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I'll just stick with my Nook running ICS
    That's smart.

When I was in school, one of my classmates rooted his Nook and ran Android on it.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast