+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ervice-At-Home... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Article: Boosting Weak Cell Service At Home

Advertisement

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I really like the options and the idea but I have to say I agree with so many others who have pointed out we should not have to pay for such devices. After all we are already paying for the service once on our mobile device.

Throw in paying for it (an appliance) plus having it piggy back off our service in addition paying for another data package to activate it does not make sense.

I like it for what it allows us to do but can't agree it's fair or priced right.

Hope that makes sense?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Fortunately other than driving I have good service... which as you mentioned is not the case for many. These can save users a lot of frustration. Too bad we have to pay for lack of carrier service... literally.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I agree whole-heartedly that we shouldn't have to pay an extra expense to compensate for the lack of good coverage from a carrier. As the article mentions, some users have reported Sprint giving them the devices in order to keep them. I also agree with the rep from Verizon that these are typically a niche product. Specifically those in very rural areas where only 1-2 carriers are available and both provide weak signals. These could definitely be an alternative to intermittent service.

DeeRex no está en línea Stack level 1
    You can say that we shouldn't have to pay for these devices. That the provider should be fixing coverage, or covering these devices for us. The problem is that you chose that provider. For whatever reason. Whether they had the phone you liked, was cheaper, friends/family on same carrier. You CHOSE the provider with bad service in your area. If you want to stay with them, buy the device. If you don't, pay to break your contract (that you willingly agreed to when you signed up) and go to a provider that has better coverage in your area.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeRex View Post
    You can say that we shouldn't have to pay for these devices. That the provider should be fixing coverage, or covering these devices for us. The problem is that you chose that provider. For whatever reason. Whether they had the phone you liked, was cheaper, friends/family on same carrier. You CHOSE the provider with bad service in your area. If you want to stay with them, buy the device. If you don't, pay to break your contract (that you willingly agreed to when you signed up) and go to a provider that has better coverage in your area.
    Because all of the carriers have poor service in the area I live in, I choose the provider that has the best service in the other areas I spend a lot of time at (work, etc.) and had the phone I liked best. I was told by both the store rep and an AT&T customer service rep that AT&T is working on providing better coverage in the area I live in. That was 18 months ago and there has been no improvement yet. Shame on me for believing them.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    As I said, these devices are designed more for individuals who live in areas where all the available carriers have poor reception or the only one with decent coverage isn't an option due to price, customer service, lack of handsets, etc. Though my reception is sometimes spotty at my home, it's not bad enough that I would pay the cost of one of these devices.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    I am currently one of those people that lives on the outskirts enough for this to be an issue for me, I considered buying a repeater at the time but the cost was too much, and so i decided to wait, then back when i upgraded to my first tmo phone that had wifi (8320) I was using UMA and I was happy as a clam and i didnt have to buy a repeater. Granated i still think it sux that i have to use my own bandwidth for it, but at the same time I dont need full bars all the time I usually get like 2 bars which isnt great but not bad either. In this particular instance I chose to use my own network to boost my smartphone data speeds and instead of forcing customers to buy a repeater or buy and pay monthly for a femtocell; I think they should determine if u have low or no coverage and make u pay a small deposit and provide it free as part of ur contract, either that or develop their own version of Tmos UMA

+ Reply to Thread