+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...NG-COMPETITION... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: BLACKBERRY Z10 SALES ESTIMATE SLASHED BY 83% DUE TO SLOW LAUNCH, U

Advertisement

Kdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Mr Walkley is a die hard Apple fan who uses his position as an analyst to try to influence the market. No harm in any of that unless you are asking for an impartial projection of a competing product, and then you will get hit with a double barrel of bias that will inflate a hot air balloon. For a first attempt at reentering a very competitive smartphone market, it will be very interesting to see the end result of the Blackberry 10. It's still a little early, even for an Apple affectionado, to whip out the shovel in a blatant attempt to bury a competitor who just may surprise you.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ I am with you there, I get really fed up with so called "experts" that use their platform to put down competing systems. It is so soon to make predictions. Why is it that people take pleasure in companies going out of business and people losing jobs. I have no objections to articles pointing out problems with the Z10, I just don't like gleeful predictions of systems not succeeding.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Check out N4BB's comment on this article:
    http://n4bb.com/dont-believe-hear-z1...-going-strong/

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I think it's too early to make any worthwhile predictions, although these market analysts do have to. Whether the news is good or bad, it all depends on your own (financial) perspective and if you have an investment to look after. Finance is a cruel business.
    I hope BB is successful with BB10. Time will tell.
    Around here it's shaping up quite badly, or maybe the "fashion " hasn't picked up as it was expected to.
    The Z10 is easily available. Huge numbers everywhere.
    At close to 800€ each, it's a difficult sell.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, to me that sounds extremely expensive and I probably would not purchase any smartphone at that price (I have better things to do with my money) but then I believe it does mean it doesn't come with a contract. I have a question though for fair comparison, how does this price compare to the price of a Samsung S3, or an IPhone 5, or a Windows 8 phone such as one of the Nokia's, are they all similar prices so that the person is not looking at price but at functionality? Also how does this compare to a notebook, or a tablet? Would it be better where you are for example to buy a normal cell phone for calls an a good quality tablet with a MiFi unit? Just wondering.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm going to try and take a pic of the store and pricing... I hope they let me. I'll get back to you on the rest of the possibilities later.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    On one of the websites where you can buy Solavei compatible phones, iPhone 5 16gb unlocked is 699.00, Samsung Galaxy SIII is 569.00 unlocked and the Z10 is 999.00. Not sure I understand that.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok let´s see if I can exemplify. the pic isn´t all that good, reflections and all, but you can see the retail sale prices of the Z10 and it´s primary contenders. The iPhone 5 (16Gb) sells at 679,90€.
    Price Comparison.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/crtpovni80...Comparison.jpg
    So, what´s wrong with the picture?
    The Z10 will also be proposed with a 2 year contract with all the carriers here, starting at 579,00€, which is much cheaper, but then it comes with a ball and chain costing you about 60,00€ per month.
    The option to get a "dumb" phone and then use a tablet is viable. A tab costs far less, like the nexus 7 at 299,00€. Or get a cheapie BB8520 and buy the Playbook 16Gb which goes for about
    300,00€ for the 16Gb. But it´s not the same thing is it?
    The Z10 prices are different for Enterprise, obviuosly. But even like that they´re not making in-roads into businesses that have changed to iOS. But here, again, it´s too early to judge.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you Del, it certainly gives some insight. I think the tablet option could be very attractive if people really thought about it, bigger screen but of course something else to carry. One advantage the Z10 does have is that you can put a 64GB memory card on it to expand the space which you cannot do with the Apple, plus you can carry a spare battery. Having said that you can do a similar thing with the Apple, use WiFi to sync to a 500 Gb portable hard disk, and carry an external battery, so swings and roundabouts. Most people today in the States anyway prefer the cheaper up front cost and paying back over a couple of years, even though it costs more in the long term. In Canada the carrier has to give a breakdown of the costs which is good. I definitely agree it is too early to judge.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Seems odd that Blackberry would release a new phone that is far more expensive than the two competing (really popular phones aka Samsung and Apple) on the market. Wonder if it will go the way of the PlayBook, big price reductions?

+ Reply to Thread