+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm speechless, that was probably not a good idea to make that available for viewing ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Advertisement

I'm speechless, that was probably not a good idea to make that available for viewing on line while soo many are watching closely. The references to the iPhone were simply dumb and added nothing other than clearly admitting their place in the market.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I never watch these things live no matter who is performing the launch, I find them all a pain. I would rather wait and read the reviews. I must admit from the reviews I have read so far that BB10 looks really good, (hope they have Patents). They have stressed over and over again that the phone is a development model and not the final product. Can't wait to get it on the Playbook, Cascades looks really good. Lots of Apps coming, they even have a free app (available today) for the Playbook for TopGear, anyone that watches the BBC knows what I am talking about , this alone will obviously make everyone rush out and buy a Playbook http://n4bb.com/free-top-gear-news-app-blackberry/ Keyboard looks like they have finally got it right, I like the predictive capability of the Playbook this looks even better. They will need to really market this to generate interest, after all Windows 8 is coming out, the IPhone 5 will be released around the same time, the really fast Samsung SIII will already be on the market, all of which will have tried and proven OS's. The Playbook will need to get BB10 on it so the Apps can be released be used prior to launch, and there will be a requirement for a large number of Apps to be available, I am seeing more and more on App World everyday but to avoid the complaints from people it has to be obvious. Finally there could be a high probability that Netflix and Skype will be released into Cascades as this does not require major modifications to get them running on the Platform. All in all we may see BB continuing to survive!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    A new Ad campaign could be,

"Turn in your old Blackberry and POWER UP the New Blackberry 10"

RIM could offer some program or incentive to turn in all the old devices and help push users into their new generation of handsets. They almost need to go overboard, so many are already committed and happy w/out a RIM product now.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    All is well and fine, but... (I'm borrowing a line from Dave) - "
    They have stressed over and over again that the phone is a development model and not the final product."
    Heck, RIM doesn´t change. This is painful.They could have organized the conference for a time when they would have something concrete to show. When Google or Apple announce anything, I've never heard them say "it´s a development model" .I prefer finished products. And then upgrade or update software, yes.My point is: why announce it the first place? Just say when its going to come out and thats it. It's important to know exactly when. And what.
    The rest is blab...and bulls**t!
    My rant, sorry. Disappointed. Totally.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^I was trying to be nice and help. Hahahaha, when hell freezes over things will be better.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^^ Not brainwashed just tied to contract and hope that I will have the choice of the BB10 in the mix when the contract expires. I am happy that they actually made the effort to give something to developers so that we will have a system with a lot more than just potential out of the box. I am keeping an open mind about what will be available. Typical keynote address from whatever company that launches a new product: Blah Blah Blah Makes lots of Money Blah Blah Blah care about our customers Blah Blah Blah Latest technology available Blah Blah Blah and so forth, the only good thing about these launches is you get to see the software or the device. In RIM's case it is the software, and if you look at it without being totally jaded there are a lot of things there that are not copies of other platforms, add to that the ease of use of the PlayBook which will be in BB10 and it should sell. If this were launched by the favored 2 Android IOS everyone would be saying how marvelous how creative it all is, but because it is RIM then the comments are negative. So it will be released in October, aren't there rumors out there of the new IPhone for October, but this is ok because it's Apple. The same thing how long have the rumors been going on about Samsung's new device. Come on Del give them a chance, there is definitely a change here, the OS is not just a revised BB OS it is a brand new OS!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Dave, anyone will give time to something worthwhile. But Android or Apple just do it. RIM on the other hand talks about a lot of OS's, new phones, and when last did you see anything concrete and new? The 9900 was a novelty, almost two years ago...design wise only. The rest was and is still a problem. Fed up.
    Edit: Sorry I forgot about the Porsche watchamacallit...
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Dave, anyone will give time to something worthwhile. But Android or Apple just do it. RIM on the other hand talks about a lot of OS's, new phones, and when last did you see anything concrete and new? The 9900 was a novelty, almost two years ago...design wise only. The rest was and is still a problem. Fed up.
    Playbook OS2. You may prefer Android or Apple, but the OS2 is really easy to use and a very useful tool. My wife has the IPad2 I have used both the Playbook in my opinion is far better.

Apple is smart in the way they deliver their products, the IPad no camera, 1 year later the IPad2 slightly faster, + camera (albeit crappy), another year the new IPad better camera, high resolution screen better processor required for the screen, bigger batter for the screen. Always launched with a lot of hype. Was it worth changing up from an IPAD2?

What am I trying to say, I am not trying to run down Apple, they make good products and have brilliant marketing, far better marketing than RIM, does that mean that the BB10 will not be able to compete no, neither does it mean that BB10 will take all of Apple/Androids customer, it does mean that they will give Windows a good run and possibly keep the number 3 position if they do it right, plus they may slowly chip away at the top 2.

The future is open to whosoever wants to fight for it.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    The concern I have is that RIM has not released "fully baked" products. Playbook should never have been released until OS2 was ready. I hope BB10 is not half-baked, but given RIM's past history, I am not convinced.

There was nothing shown off re: the browser of the BB10 OS. The Playbook browser still has issues with checkerboarding and lags when multiple tabs are open. The BB10 browser needs to be better.

What struck me were these comments:
    "BlackBerry users are people who are hungry to get something done," he said. "They aren't the ones sitting on the train watching episodes of Seinfeld."

Still he said that carrying all the popular apps and having a good multimedia experience for users is necessary to compete.

"It has to be a great multimedia device," he said. "That's table stakes these days. But that doesn't mean we have to go out and build an iTunes-like store."
    To me, that shows RIM still does not get it. Certainly, even business users want some entertainment to pass the time while en route to work.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^^ this is the reason (I sincerely hope) that they are providing a device with the platform to developers to test prior to selling the actual phone to the end user. We have to remember that the device that is in the photos does not have a radio or wifi it is purely a small version of the Playbook with the operating system, so why the comments that it looks like an IPhone, or it is not very cool, of course it's not. All we should be looking at are the current facts, not what happened in the past or what we think will happen in the future, lets look at what the prototype software can do now. There are many commenting that there are not enough apps in App World. There are currently 99500 of them there 25000 of those have been written specifically for the Playbook, plus RIM is making a concerted effort to get more developers on board. Of course this is nowhere near IOS or Androids apps but its a start, add to that, the fact that it can run Android Apps and it begins to change. We all need to have several competing technologies on the market if we don't then things will not develop. Look at the cassette and the cartridge (plus there were 2 versions of the music cassette) eventually the cassette won and then it stopped developing, CD's replaced Albums and cassettes and now thankfully hard disk and SSD are replacing CD's, but there are many manufacturers of the hard disks constantly trying to make them faster and smaller, if there was only one company then we would be forced to use what they provide. Look at RIM as a competitor and maybe just maybe if Apple and Android see them as a threat they will come out with even better phones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12