+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...all-went-wrong... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: BlackBerry: Where it all went wrong

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Oh boy. I'm sure we'll hear it about this article. lol

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    We'll all raise a glass...

It's nothing that hasn't been said here countless times. And BlackBerry fanatics just HATE BGR, but don't shoot the messenger!

Kdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Isn't there something odd about raising a glass to the demise of a product that gave you your start? I've heard that Pinstack started in 2004 when Blackberry was 45% of this site's traffic. This was the jewel of the net. Listening to Del anymore, the question arises did Blackberry have problems on it's own or was it lynched by it's former friends? The Iphone rocket was propelled by folks who thought using a Blackberry was really technical and difficult. It was the first step in dumbing down a mobile phone so a five year old could use it. There is something good about that, but also something sad in that soon we won't have enough upstairs to do a basic math problem, change a tire, or remain loyal to a friend who has given much, but slowed with time. Shooting the messenger isn't much compared to slapping the mother who gave you your start? Dancing at a funeral of an old friend was never a great attribute, and hopefully we're not doing so now.....

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I have an S4
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Kyle Kyle Kyle..... You should know better than that. I will defend Del here and say with certainty that his intent with that post was not to celebrate the demise of BlackBerry, but to mourn the loss of a once strong and thriving brand.

Look at the join dates of the people who remain steadfast to this site. No one derives more pain at this turn of events than those of us here from the beginning, and Delfim is no exception.

And BlackBerry was 100% of this sites traffic back in the day.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I NEVER defend Del...But I will raise my glass to the passing of a dear friend.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Kyle Kyle Kyle..... You should know better than that. I will defend Del here and say with certainty that his intent with that post was not to celebrate the demise of BlackBerry, but to mourn the loss of a once strong and thriving brand.

Look at the join dates of the people who remain steadfast to this site. No one derives more pain at this turn of events than those of us here from the beginning, and Delfim is no exception.
    ↑↑↑↑ This. ↑↑↑↑

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    We Catholics love a wake. It's the time we remember the good things. And we do raise a glass or two of good cheer. We mourn the dead but we honor and remember their life.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm not attacking Kdaddy here...just commenting.

Pinstack as a whole would never celebrate the demise of Blackberry. Even though Del didn't write this article I think it would have been a mistake to not post it.

Back in the day I had a Pearl. I hadn't discovered Pinstack yet, but my interest in smart phones was increasing day by day. To say I was pleased with the device would be an understatement.

Then Apple showed that sleek sexy iPhone. I had to have it, and did within days of the launch. At first I was pretty happy, although I think I enjoyed having something someone else wanted more than the device and its features. The screen coupled with a true internet expirirence were amazing. With no app store though the love affair soon faded. Really wasn't a whole lot one could do with an iPhone then other than surf and text.

Then I broke that screen. It functioned for awhile but eventually died. I went in for a replacement or repair. I found it was cheaper to replace the device on contract than to repair the old one.

So I'm in the store looking at what's available, and walked out with an 8300. Sure, the screen was smaller, it wasn't near as sexy, but it really did so much more better.

In that I see at least part of RIMs thinking at the start. They were (sort of) correct. The iPhone wasn't really a competitor in the beginning.

When I replaced the 8300, it was with the 8900. By now RIM was competing directly with Apple and the upstart Android. RIM still did many things better, just not nearly as flashy.

Now years later I went to Sprint with a good friend. Lined up were big screens, highend CPU offerings, and functionality. By now Blackberry didn't hold its edge as it did. Typing had gotten better on touch screens. App stores added any function you needed. Oh, and sleek was the design word...one Blackberry hadn't heard apparently. The devices from RIM looked nice, but were archaic by comparison. My needs were business AND recreational and RIM offered very little that fit BOTH those.

The point is the world moved on, just as I had. RIM didn't. I'm an average guy and I represent a huge part of the market. RIM had decided I didn't count, didn't know what I needed. They (in my opinion) didn't want me as a customer, evident by the strictly business form factor/feature set they were offering.

This is the message Del has shared (even IF BGR wrote it). I didn't abandon BB, it/they abandoned me. It saddened me a bit but I found refuge in Android as others have Apple. I mourn their passing, but in the end it was RIM that built its own coffin and provided the hammer and nails to seal it shut.
    RogerG likes this.

Well said, Jay, and I think you echo the sentiments of the majority of us who "moved on." There wasn't one of us who didn't hope the Z10 would be the device that would lure us back to BlackBerry. Thank God for Del who seems to have access to pretty much any device before we do, so that he could be the "guinea pig" of sorts. If Del is anything, he's brutally honest. Lucky for us, he's had hands on experience with most every device we'd want ourselves and his reviews are a crucial part of the decision making process many of use to determine our next devices. So when he said the Z10 fell far short of what most of us already had, that was good enough for me. BlackBerry has and still does demand a high price for that device, and since I'm on a no-contract service, I pay almost full price for anything I would purchase, so I want to be damn sure I'm gonna be happy with that purchase. I don't always agree with Del's opinions, because we all have our preferences, but in this case, I did and I'm glad.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I too would defend Del, but defense is not something he needs. We all know his knowledge and integrity and that alone is something to be proud of. I think we all started with blackberry's and are all sad with the downfall of an empire.

PinStack was and is the place to be for the lifer's that are left here. We enjoy the atmosphere and the knowledge of those that are here for support, and respect opinions and experience without question.

Most of us have moved on to other devices, and as Jay stated RIM could not or chose not to keep up with the times and therefor it is what it is.

As Roger stated in another thread a while back, Pinstack was a strong BlackBerry based site, but had the wisdom to change and move forward taking on all smartphone platforms. Even though is appears that this could have been the downfall in membership participation it still in my opinion was the right choice. I think that the format and layout of the the site itself was hard for members to adjust to, not the content and direction of the site.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The format and layout of PinStack. That Craig, hits the nail on the head! Whamo!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast