+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By Kdaddy

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...hift-in-Action... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: BlackBerry, TomTom Deal is RIM Strategic Shift in Action

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    That sounds like a great idea. It is interesting, though, since I do not know anyone with a standalone Tomtom GPS device. The folks I know with standalone GPS devices have Garmin products. I did purchase Garmin Mobile when I used a BlackBerry, since it was cheaper than paying a monthly subscription for Telenav. One of the reasons I picked a Nokia, rather than an HTC Windows phone was for Nokia Maps.

I could see BlackBerry Traffic being a very useful app. It was available when I was still using BlackBerry, but my device memory was too low to use it on my 9700.

It should be a much better app, since it will be developed by a real GPS company. Although I do not know anyone who uses Tomtom, it is a good company from everything I've read.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I saw this reported on a number of other websites (won't mention the names in deference to Roger ) also took a look at the press release. This is rather interesting though, to see RIM making an effort to bring more companies in to make Apps or integrate with the BB platform. From what I have read RIM will use Maps from Tom Tom as well in other applications which can only be good as they will be up to date.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    That sounds like a great idea. It is interesting, though, since I do not know anyone with a standalone Tomtom GPS device. The folks I know with standalone GPS devices have Garmin products. I did purchase Garmin Mobile when I used a BlackBerry, since it was cheaper than paying a monthly subscription for Telenav. One of the reasons I picked a Nokia, rather than an HTC Windows phone was for Nokia Maps.

I could see BlackBerry Traffic being a very useful app. It was available when I was still using BlackBerry, but my device memory was too low to use it on my 9700.

It should be a much better app, since it will be developed by a real GPS company. Although I do not know anyone who uses Tomtom, it is a good company from everything I've read.
    I have 2 standalone devices, both Garmin, one for the car and a handheld for hiking. Tomtom is very popular in the UK and in fact I believe they may sell as many if not more devices there as Garmin.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    BlackBerry Traffic and BlackBerry Protect were two awesome apps.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am still using both of them, both are free as well. Blackberry Traffic doesn't have maps but does have voice directions which is very useful. Again RIM don't push the things they have, and it ends up with everyone not realizing that in some case RIM were not me to, but were actually me first!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I have both. Garmin is forgotten, because TomTom is way better and far more accurate. Also the updates of maps is a constant. Navteq is unbeaten.
    I have it also on the i4S. As far as Western Europe it's the best there is. My South African friends swear by it too.
    Good move by BB.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I am still using both of them, both are free as well. Blackberry Traffic doesn't have maps but does have voice directions which is very useful. Again RIM don't push the things they have, and it ends up with everyone not realizing that in some case RIM were not me to, but were actually me first!
    I believe Nokia was first with free maps/voice-guided directions. I had those on a Symbian device I owned in 2008.

Was BlackBerry Protect around before Find My Phone? I did use BlackBerry Protect, but I know Find My Phone is available on iOS/Android/Windows Phone. I believe Find My Phone was available for iOS before it was available for Android.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    I have both. Garmin is forgotten, because TomTom is way better and far more accurate. Also the updates of maps is a constant. Navteq is unbeaten.
    I have it also on the i4S. As far as Western Europe it's the best there is. My South African friends swear by it too.
    Good move by BB.
    I wonder why TomTom has not caught on in the US. I know the devices are sold here, and I've even seen ads on TV.

Navteq is owned by Nokia. I know there were rumors of Nokia selling Navteq due to its financial issues.
    Laura

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Navteq is probably the most profitable Nokia spinoff...

Kdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    I can't wait. I'm still using "That a Way" by Briggs and Stratton and it's nothing to crow about!
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread