+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By ventz

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...Before-Release... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: BlackBerry Phablet ‘Aristo’ Getting Upgraded Specs Before Release?

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Oh my, now THAT one could bring me back to the BlackBerry fold.

And how could it be a BlackBerry if you couldn't remove the battery?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yep, interesting, isn´t it? I hope by the time it launches that BB10 also grows as much...
    RogerG likes this.

Indeed. Sounds like it definitely needs to if they intend to gain back users.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    After playing with the BlackBerry for a day, my biggest complaint is the screen size (way too small). The bezel is too big, and I don't mean from an aesthetic point - this is truly from a functional perspective. This should make things very interesting.

The Os is quite rough, however that is to be expected with version one. I am glad to see BlackBerry competing again.
    Delfim likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I think phones are getting too big, I hated those bricks of the '80s they were a pain to carry and use even though they were good to have. Now it's all about things getting big again.

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Will scratch off bb10 from my wishlist. More time to save up for this Hoping wifey approves of it

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I think phones are getting too big, I hated those bricks of the '80s they were a pain to carry and use even though they were good to have. Now it's all about things getting big again.
    Come to think of it you're right!
    Except that today the bricks have been substituted with troughs.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I ended up using the blackberry for 3 days as my primary phone (work "test" phone). Overall, there are some very interesting features. Many many bugs - it's simply "not there yet", but this is unbelievable for version 1.0. Does anyone remember the first iOS (before it was called iOS) or Android "1.0" (HTC slider anyone?)...those sucked much much more.

Anyway, here is a brain dump of how I feel about this phone:

One thing that drove me nuts is the scrolling -- it is very choppy and feels "strangely accelerated". There were some basic problems with the hub and facebook integration (private groups would just tell you it's a private group and linked to Facebook). Another thing was the LED - i wish it was a bit less bright.

Now, the things that amazed me: the maps navigation, both voice and visual, is simply amazing. Probably the best i've seen to date. I don't understand how they can get this in version 1.0 and Android can't get this in 4.2.x. The blackberry navigation was clear, bigger, provided visual and voice directions ahead of a turn and followed with the next set (ex: turn left and then you will take a right). The recalculation could use some work - it seemed to always suggest a U turn. Either way, very impressed here. The other thing was the browser. It is VERY fast. It could simply use a bigger screen, but it was great. Another thing was the battery life. This might be something that was fixed with software updates, but I had a great experience. After abusing the phone all day, I got about 10 hours (this includes heavy GPS+maps, tons of email, 15 minutes of voice, and a good amount of other notifications/alerts/browsing).

Some things that are good, but could use some more work: the swipe features - some felt very natural, and others felt forced.
    The email client needs to show you details and stay in that mode (who the email is to, etc..etc..). The default color for ALL emails (note: ALL emails) has to be changeable. Having your emails in blue is like using Comic for your main font.

Overall - looks promising. Currently, I would not use this as a primary phone, but I cannot wait for another 2-3 versions to come out. I really think it will become a very large contender to Android and iOS.

Interesting perspective, ventz, thanks.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Interesting Ventz. I just question your affirmation regarding Maps. Out here, the application sucks, it's been ridiculed, it's been deemed totally unfit for any sort of navigation, (never mind voice orientation) even with any updates that may have occurred since I had it. Even TomTom, who supplied the software I believe, has been severely criticized for delivering a data-base that has nothing to do with what their own hardware and software is really capable of doing. And to compare it to Google Maps?
    I can only imagine that Maps for the US and Canada maybe different from what we have here. That could be the reason. Ill see if I can grab another one just to test the app again.

+ Reply to Thread