+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...phone-Industry... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Article: BlackBerry Instant Messenger (BBM) - Helps or Hurts Smartphone Ind

Advertisement

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    There's a proliferation of unlimited texting plans out there and more and more people are getting them. BBM is the last stronghold of Blackberry devices and it's really not something to be missed when you think of everything else you're gaining by switching to Android. Plus, Google Chat is always there if you're into the exclusivity of chatting with a certain group of people like yourself, just as is done with BBM.. the Blackberry only messenger.

Seriously, what is the deal with BBM? I've got eBuddy running on my Droid and it's running AIM, Google Chat, and Facebook Chat. On top of that, I've got unlimited messaging. For what reason would you need BBM if you've got all that firepower?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree with WhitePearl, I.M clients or Client likes are a dime a dozen and no one holds a magic key in 2010 and beyond.

I used to think is did have weight but not so much anymore. It took me about a month to get over it and look at the larger picture.

BBM is very nice but not a deal maker. It's just one App in a world of millions.
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.

shawnmcw no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3152da1c
    Imho BBM is no more nor less important than any other messenger application, be that AIM, facebook chat, msn messenger of any of the others. It's just another option among many at this point.

Drasadex no está en línea Stack level 3
    I really don't think that BBM is helpful. It's just a time-killer.

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow; I didn't think my topic would prompt it to become a headline on the front page. Well, I somewhat answered the question in my thread from where this topic stemmed from...Basically BBmessenger is useful for me cause it doesn't use up my text messages. To answer WhitePearl, I.M. clients are cool and all but some friends don't have them and if they do they are not always "on"...i used to like the BBM feature of sending a voice note which is as close to having those nextel push-to-talk phones as you can get but it got annoying and i used it a lot less cause it would only record about 10 sec. compared to sending an actual voicenote through MMS which gives you close to 2 min...

I think their should be a universal messaging client like the ones that support yahoo, msn, aim. It would be nice but I know it wouldn't happen (at least not legitimately),...with the millions of iphone, ipodtouch and now ipad users out there having an i.m. client of some sort would definitely keep some people from jumping ship or thinking about it like i was, provided that they had something unique about them.

testing...i left a comment but it didn't post.

well, i guess you can only see the 1st 4 posts...oh well...I'm sure that once i get my android phone and all the "better" features that i didn't have before that i won't even notice not having BBmessenger anymore.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I see all your comments, maybe some kind if glitch causing you to not see them

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Blackberry messenger Is overrated.

Anyone that's into these devices will get overwhelmed with glee with android and iPhone goodness. I leave out windows cause they only have one decent phone and that's the Hd2, but its still windows and windows has never been short of failure.

ChrisBlack no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24E5704A
    This is my first 2010 year post. Well if I've friends who are BB users and MSN users too Then I prefer BBM to chat with them. I find BBM more quick and easy to access and avoid the user login process

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBlack View Post
    This is my first 2010 year post. Well if I've friends who are BB users and MSN users too Then I prefer BBM to chat with them. I find BBM more quick and easy to access and avoid the user login process

I understand that, but the memory drain has to get tiring to You.I was rock bottom with mine.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    BBM is important to many people and as a perk, it provides a similarity between many users as no other phone does. BBM itself is something all blackberry users with a data plan can say they have in common. I see people in class/school, work, clubs, weddings, etc. and once they pull out their device, the first question is "what's your pin?" or they say "scan my barcode!". That in itself gives the user something that the other messaging clients cannot. I think it is the positive stigma behind the "exclusivity of BBM" that gives the user something to hold on to. That coupled with RIM making less technology-driven devices to meet the financial needs of people that won't pay the extra buck for a device has made BlackBerry an easily accessible and affordable device for people of all ages. Basic form and structure and something to use to communicate to users all around the world.
    PinStack is a perfect example. I have talked to people in easily over 70 cities around the world. It doesn't mean much but it is interesting to do.
    Although I am getting a bit tired of the constant PINGs and broadcasted messages and the "twittering of BBM status messages", I do think that BBM is holding some clients to RIM. I personally know a few dozen people that know there are perhaps better devices on the market, but cannot let BBM go. I don't believe that BBM is hurting the smartphone industry because nonetheless, people are still using a smartphone. However, I do believe that BBM narrows the mind of people. BUT I would argue that without BBM, people would perhaps still be using flip phones (no offensive to those that are still using one). I think BBM has brought people to the smartphone market and many people have a smartphone for the sole purpose of BBM (young teens especially).
    So I know my rant has been long, but if you're skimming this, I'll wrap it up. BBM can be seen as a positive or a negative. I feel those of us that are into smartphones will be more conscious and aware of bad devices and not be held to a device for just BBM. Some will stay because of it but the keeners that read blogs and stay up to date won't. But for those of us who aren't big on new devices, BBM is actually helping the smartphone industry because it generates a new clientele that would otherwise not have a smartphone.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    I am also having trouble seeing all of the post in a lot of different threads. I can't figure out why.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by alryder View Post
    I am also having trouble seeing all of the post in a lot of different threads. I can't figure out why.
    Is this in Articles or in Forum threads? Trying to nail down the issue
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast