+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-THE-BEGINNING... Smartphone News forum

Article: BLACKBERRY 10: THE BEGINNING OF THE END, OR THE END OF THE BEGINNI

Advertisement

cornelius no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2035BC65
    http://cdn.videos.bloomberg.com/c5an...Ojc5OjBhO9qBTo

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-fan...blackberry-z10

Nice review. How much time did you waste trying to create reasons WHY you personal hate blackberry, I meant the Z10. It's not that serious. Are you getting paid to post that review or are you trying to gain followers. If none of the above then the Z10 not for you. Simple. As soon as it's available in the US, I'll be in line to get one.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I think the reasons why not are relevant to end users unless they are die hard bb fans. In today's market bb has to win users away from apple and Google to remain afloat.

Without common features (notifications/decent camera/apps) this would and will be difficult. As the review correctly states, if one is already invested in an ecosystem there is little to no reason to switch.

I dont see where you find the author hates blackberry. Clearly he uses one, was invited to the release and eagrly went back to try the z10. If anything it seems he wants bb to succeed and is being objective in his given reasons as to why they may not be.

Saying something negative about any given company isn't always hate.

When you get it, hope you enjoy it. I wont show any interest in buying bb again until the os and devices are proven and bb can be proactive to consumer demands/wishes instead of reactive.

This effort isn't half-assed in any sense. It is showing bb is trying. Problem is the company was slow and made dipshit decisions that hurt the trust most users had in them. I don't feel this shows me enough to have faith.
    RogerG likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The decisions BlackBerry took are still incorrect. They have catered for their BB customers, most of them carrying "sponsored" phones on enterprise. BalckBerry with so many examples of success to follow decided to their own thing, which is good, but in the end have done it badly. The only hope now is for those infernal BB OS updates that will flow thick and fast from now on.
    It´s imperative they do this. I stated that maybe the want or need to launch the Z10 and the Q10 at the end of January ´13 didn´t give them time to finalize and iron out the OS. That´s why there are so many complaints.
    For the BB diehards (today I´m not one of them) any slight improvement on the OS 7 is a godsend, apparently. They´ve got so used to demand so little, any crumb thrown at them is a miracle...and this is wrong. The BB die-hards should demand more from BlackBerry.
    I´m not a die-hard, but I´ve taken the trouble to send them mails castigating their product and their vision.
    Maybe they´ll read it, maybe not. But if enough of the BB die-hards take this to task, complain about the shortfalls, maybe they´ll open their eyes.
    If BlackBerry doesn´t, it will die.

PIN/ID
    2035BC65
    When the Iphone launch in 2007 it lacked a 3g, ability to shoot video, not many apps, no removable battery, terrible email and was a bit over price. It was was a new OS that had some cool features simular to the Z10. It didn't need push email or BBM to get blackberry users to switch. I can't understand why do you think the Z10 need a home button, gorilla glass, and other Iphone or android feather to compete in this market. After 7 generation Apple has created solid device. I've read a lot of reviews. The common denominator although there's some thing that could be better overall it a good device and it has some cool features. It's alot better than the previous blackberry OS. If the Z10 is better then previous blackberries then the company
    is moving in the right direction. I guess Zachary thinks that with all the hard work blackberry did building this OS they're not going to update the OS to fix issues and make the OS alot better. All the work they've put into getting developers there will be no more app. Is it to late for Blackberry? No, it to way to early in the game to say that it's impossible for the Z10 to compete in today's market.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I don't think this thing will compete at all. What it will do is draw in most BB users and hopefully be the start of something that will compete. I'm a former BB user and could see myself trying out a new BB....just not this one.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ ...and that Cat, is exactly the crux of the matter. I too (all of us on Pinstack) were BB users.Most of us yearn for a BB that will be up there with the best, even if we have to forgive some of the things we don't or won't like. But this BB10 is too short from the threshold we subconsciously have created. Are we too demanding now? I remember us being quite content with what we had before. And then something happened. First Apple then Google.
    This reminds me of the launch of the 9900 which I hastened to get.I said at the time, and I think I was the first, that it was a great phone from BB. It was just too late. Three or four years late.
    I have the feeling that the BB10 OS is repeating this all over again.
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Android and iOS both have linear workflows. You open an app, you close an app. BlackBerry 10 also lets you open and close apps, but there are additional layers that are core to the experience. Swipes up, and down, and left, and right all perform different functions and reveal different layers. Some swipes do different things at different times. Some swipes in one direction expose layers that enter the UI from another direction.
    This paragraph has me fairly sure that I don't want to try this phone... not for a while any way. I (as Del mentioned most of us are) am a former BB user and I was really hoping that this was the phone that would sway me back to BB, but I just don't think that is looking to be the case. Maybe once a few updates have come out to the OS, but not right now with what it is.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Look at the name of this website.....PINSTACK! We are ALL former BlackBerry users. We have that in common and it's what brought us here in the first place. I don't think any one of us doesn't wish for BlackBerry to be successful again. Looks like BB10 and the devices are pretty impressive, but as has been stated before, is it enough to compete and bring former users back? I don't think so.

I know for fact that the BlackBerry faithful are salivating all over this, but honestly, look what they are coming from! The 9900 is a stellar device, but the Z10 is such a far cry from the 9900, of course they're going to be drooling about it. It's just that when you leave and sample something better, you need to have some damn good incentive to go back and I haven't seen enough to make we want to give up my SIII.

Hopefully, though, this is the beginning of good things to come from the company.
    TeriO likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hear, hear Rog. I hope so too. You guys must excuse and understand why I'm being overly critical. It's that it's something I really love. The BB.
    And like all things I love, I get terribly disappointed when it doesn't shape up.
    I hope it's a new and good beginning for BlackBerry. I'll be the first amongst you guys to get one, when the right one comes along.
    RogerG likes this.

I'm a big fan of BlackBerry, and always have been. But the Z10 and the upcoming Q10 are best described by one single word: Generic. There are a dozen smartphone manufacturers with devices out in the field that already do everything the new BBs are promising to do, except for proprietary carp that is duplicated by other services (BBM for example). Reading the specs of the Z10 shows me that even prior to launch, it is equal to my HTC HD7 Windows Phone (which is 2 years old) and inferior (in specs) to my current Sammy Galaxy S III. This is not what we were hoping for.

PIN/ID
    2035BC65
    I was thinking because the OS is unique and the specs match up to most high end devices today this was was a great starting point for Blackberry but I have a 9900 so that maybe this is reason why its enough to keep me adopting another platform. Actually, I'll need to go pick one up and try it for a couple days. That'll be the real test. Del your opinions carry a lot of weight so what do you think that blackberry need to do with the Z10 in order to compete with android and IOS.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

It's not just the OS, it's the hardware. 4.2 inches? Surely they can see the trend in screen size. Why not come in and make a splash?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I´ll try and answer.
    Apps and more apps. Genuine, featured, complete Apps developed for BB. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google apps, and so on developed by these companies specifically for BB. With all the features. Not knock-offs and copy attempts that BlackBerry devs themselves worked out for the BB10. BB has to get these companies and their developers on board.
    The UI navigation complications or inconsistencies are not a problem I think. That will be ironed out and consistency will be achieved quite quickly (the Flow feature) with updates.
    Besides the screen which I consider small (my opnion) nothing else really...
    The hardware is fine and up to date (for now) and the build quality looks good.
    So, basically it´s the apps.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I just can't see bb pulling me away from the openess I enjoy with android.

The device would have to be sexy. Its not.

The specs would have to be better than the year old device I have. Really, they are not that much better.

The ecosystem would have to be enticing and I'd need to have the core apps and syncing I have now. It isn't.

I loved my 8900 and Pearl and 8300. Through those devices I not only discovered the smartphone, but many interesting and wonderful folks. Many of those same folks use androids now. None of us discussed it and many of them are more die hard bb fans than I. That says a lot.

Do I want to see them succeed? Yep. Will they? I personally doubt it. I give it 2 years UNLESS bb decides to license to other manufacturers. Playing it safe (and in someways missing the mark) is not going to reverse years of creating mistrust.

That's my 2˘ for what its worth. I consider myself an average user, so I'll bet I'm not alone.

Good luck Blackberry.

You'll need it.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 02-02-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: too damn tired...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast