+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-While-Driving... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Ban Apple’s Siri While Driving?

Advertisement

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Very good point!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    What about those of us that talk to ourselves while driving? How do you know if I'm using a handsfree device or just mentally unstable?
    Or talk (loudly) to the person who does 10 MPH under the speedlimit in front of us? Am I yelling my newly minted curses at them or at my spouse?
    Those that drive an hour after a 12 hour shift that use the radio and a smoke to make it home? I've done it....texting is safer.

Anyone killed as a result of distraction is a tragedy. Trying to create law that is almost unenforceable (until after an accident has happened) isn't going to diminish the actual instances these things happen. How does an officer determine you are using handsfree? That you are talking to Siri and not the passenger? How many police officers themselves have you seen on a cell while driving?

I'm 100% all for safety. Lives are always at stake. This seems like a waste of taxpayers money simply because enforcement becomes nearly impossible once implemented. Education (as with seatbelts) seems a better use of the time and monies. Love for our government to be required to explore other avenues before attempting legislation such as this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Out here in the old continent its getting worse. We're looking at a total ban even on hands-free equipment. Its going to be obligatory to switch off phones while driving. Monitoring the situation is almost impossible, but if you're involved in an accident, data collected on the spot will include cell phone activity at the time.
    It works. And people are geniunely worried already. Heavy fines, loss of drivers license and in case of deaths, voluntary manslaughter. Yikes!

Edit: This is pending legislation to be introduced in 2012. But it gets worse...
    IF you are found guilty of this, third-party insurance falls entirely on you ! In other words the insurance will take care of the victim's material and personal damages, but not yours at all, plus the aggravated condition of you being sued by the same insurance company for the value of indemnities paid to the victim. This will fall under "gross negligence."
    So, expect this lot of new legislation to filter through to you guys in the US, eventually.
    Last edited by Delfim; 12-20-2011 at 09:50 AM.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It probably is possible to monitor if a phone is switched off while traveling since they have gps and time so it will be possible to identify the phone is moving and at what time it will be up to the individual to prove he/she is not driving. Records can be obtained from the phone companies we already know they are monitoring us. America is trying to head the same direction as Europe, it will be Americans that will force the direction of the law, not the lawmakers

+ Reply to Thread