+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Yeah, a lot of US companies would. But I do appreciate the US goods. Cars, ... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Advertisement

Yeah, a lot of US companies would. But I do appreciate the US goods. Cars, tech in general, and obviously high end and heavy industry, in which it dominates. But its the diversity thats great here. The choices are greater. Cars in particular, we have them all. And we are sorry you don't get the Renaults, Peugeot, like you say the Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Skoda, Opel... and whenever a US co. snatched a European manufacturer, their cars didn't sell. See the great SAAB. And Opel, until the Germans and the British with Vauxhall put it on the road again. But that's how it all works. Globalization has its charms. If the trade is global to all. Not the way the US wants it to be...and add to this, the protectionist economy China is enveloping us with. It's not gonna be easy.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I do feel sorry for the consumers here in the US. Most people around the world starve and wish for education, while Americans suffer the inability to purchase a One X.

Such is life in America....

Apple, stop putting the US consumer through this patent concentration camp. It's horrible and I may have to move to Europe soon.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Cap you stay where you are. We're battling out here.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Cap you stay where you are. We're battling out here.
    Ok.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    There are more homeless, poor people in the US than we realize, look at tent city in Las Vegas, look at the number of foreclosed homes, the number of people walking the streets, the number of people unemployed, but these things are not reported because it is not politically expedient to do so in an election year, or even prior to that because it may make people disgruntled, why was the occupy movement so popular, how can so many people stay protesting for so long if they have jobs to go to? If people were to stop to think about this instead of worrying about who eats dogs or transports dogs on the roof, maybe they would hold their politicians feet to the fire, they would complain. About the millions of dollars spent on campaigning the free trips on Air Force One for pop stars, the lies that they are being told about each of the camaraderie candidates, and maybe just maybe someone would be able to stand for an election that is not super rich but has the experience and honesty to do the job. Yeah in my dreams!

America streets are no, longer paved with gold, their constitution, freedom of speech, are things to be proud of, but somewhere they have lost their way as have many countries in the western world, we all would do well to look to the culture of Asia and try to strive for humanity rather than wealth

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    No profit in humanity.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Dave, reminds of South Africans during apartheid apogee. 5 million whites living the good life oblivious to the other 55 million that didn't exist...

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, it is similar only the problem is across the board every race is affected. The press when it does report it wants to say it is a particular group that are affected but it is not really true, look at middle America and how they are struggling to survive. I just get so annoyed at the politicians (and in this case it doesn't matter which party they belong to) are more concerned about spending money on getting elected or scoring points against each other than trying to improve the climate for creating jobs improving education and ensuring people do not have to starve. Americans care enough about each other to help when they know there is a problem but the press don't want to report it because it will hurt the President's chance of re-election. The government has always played with the unemployment figures, (both parties) not reporting the true numbers, and since they only report people that are claiming benefit and you can only claim benefits for a limited period then the numbers will go down even if the person doesn't find a job.

Do I think Europe is any better, certainly not. The current elections comments in the US are that Europe is now at fault for America's financial problems, I would put it the other way round, with America being such a large consumer economy if they fail it will really drag Europe and the rest of the world down with it, really is a case of too big to fail.

So what has this to do with Patent battles, well it is further demonstration of a mentality which wants the cards stacked in a particular direction, to enable the company to make more money without having to spend it. Lawyers aside (who I am sure are laughing all the way to the bank) these battles do not help the economy or the consumer, and in the long run they don't help the fighting parties. Smartphones are not something one needs to survive no more than Nike shoes are requirement for living, yet we all get caught up in thinking that we need them. (Can you believe that someone purchased a pair of ordinary Nike's on e-bay for $80K+? If you have more money than sense there are plenty of people out there that need your help!!!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I don't know if any of you have noticed but Apple has just been granted a Patent for the wedge shape of it's notebook. Now I know that I have owned notebooks of this shape in the past, (not slim but wedge shape). So it looks like notebooks are going to be attacked now since there are a large number of Ultrabooks using a similar shape, not because they are copying Apple but more because it is the only way to make a notebook this slim. As no-one has filed a patent for an square or oblong design clam shell notebook I think I will do so and then sue everyone

I end up thinking who is to blame for all of this, surely some of these patents should never have been issued. This one for example it is too broad, I know that Patenting a shape has its place for example a design of a car, or watch, or handbag where it is a unique shape that can be linked to a brand or Trademark. Will the fact that I cannot buy a thin windows based notebook make me buy an Apple? No I will just have to put up with a slightly thicker version as I work with software that is Windows based.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    In SA it was a racial problem of course, but by this selection it was an economical one too. Things haven´t changed much. The blacks have political freedom but their economic situation is worse today. Very few (percentage wise) have made it up the ladder...
    Now, when the US started it´s crisis, in the EU we expected the backlash. It was inevitable. What´s bad is that it´s not an industrial, a productive or a manufacturing crisis. It´s banking, banks and bankers.
    I've noticed here that the politicians recently elected are very concerned with the crisis, and we´re paying and supporting the measures that have to succeed for us to get out of it. It´s an immense resctructuring of the way money is spent, by government, especially when it comes to financing banking, banks and bankers... it´s about time. And we (Portugal) and Ireland, are coming out of it and paying the bill. Much unlike Greece which non one knows, yet, how really far deep they are in the debt. Worrying is Spain and Italy. Both very deep in trouble, worse than us, but are too big to go into debt default. It would be the ruin of Europe. France too. The UK has been weathering the storm, although they're probably the biggest culprits. They are not drawn into the hoopla because they don't have the Euro. Otherwise, their debt is frightening.
    In the US the emphasis is given to a personality. It seems their program to govern is secondary. It´s my (at a distance) opinion, which is pf no concern. I shouldn´t have one.
    Unless it´s on TV it´s not important. And we know who the big TV channels belong to. The banking, the banks and the bankers...
    This is true for all western democracies.
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12