+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-for-Consumers... Smartphone News forum

Article: Apple Says Verdict Is a Win for Values; Samsung Says It’s a Loss f

Advertisement

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Any time you tie someones hands as big as Samsung and others it won't be good for the consumers. I still won't buy a iPhone

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yea, we are all going to suffer now that Samsung has to innovate their butts off...

Added: Just look at the licensing between Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft has gone out and created a nice tablet that many are excited for, me included. Their phone looks more promising and the integration between all their services looks pretty damn sweet.
    Last edited by Capdot; 08-25-2012 at 01:12 AM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm waiting until I'm off work and can think about this some more.

You know my knee jerk reaction so I wont bother to say it.

CombatGOD no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Any time you tie someones hands as big as Samsung and others it won't be good for the consumers. I still won't buy a iPhone
    I don't see it as tieing anyones hands. Just as a way to say that you can't copy. What do you do when you can't copy. You innovate. Something that Samsung hasn't done in the past. This IS a big win win for us as consumers.

Didn't see where anyone was trying to force you to buy a iPhone from this so I don't understand how that statements relates to anything in this article or patent case.

CombatGOD no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Yea, we are all going to suffer now that Samsung has to innovate their butts off...

Added: Just look at the licensing between Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft has gone out and created a nice tablet that many are excited for, me included. Their phone looks more promising and the integration between all their services looks pretty damn sweet.
    Exactly!!! This IS good for us. If Samsung choose to use Apples patents, great, license them. If not, invent something on your own. Either way I think we win as consumers.

I love my S3 but I hate the way some of the UI looks like a iPhone. I want originality with design. I don't want what someone has already done. I want something that moves me, make me go wow. We don't have that, anywhere right now.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    come on I can see a lot of this but saying they infringed on the rounded corners give me a break. When was the last time you used or seen a square phone of any make or model

I'm excited to see what Samsung comes up with now that they have to push themselves to really beat Apple. Victory for us all.

The only positive I have at the moment is possibly less touchwiz....

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It makes me feel like I want to sit this lot out...and then look in.
    With Windows 8 just around the corner and BB10 in 2013, they both look very appealing.

Cooley, yes. I hope this drives these momos to use stock Android. Must be sad for Google to watch all their hard work be covered in horrible skins and get "dumbed down" to look like iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    Cooley, yes. I hope this drives these momos to use stock Android. Must be sad for Google to watch all their hard work be covered in horrible skins and get "dumbed down" to look like iOS.
    I agree to a point. Some prefer touchwiz, and I like it most of all the skins, but prefer stock because it is better.

I wonder though. Cap open your market and see how many skins that mimic iOS, all better than any UI provided by a manufacturer (except Xiomi). There's a market for it sadly. Doesn't help my side or points on this trial but it is what it is.

The patents in question, pinch to zoom and multi-touch were in use before iOS. A grid of icons...hmmmm,

Now rounded corners, glass to edge.....give me a break.

So who patents square corners? Beveled and cut corners? Pretty soon manufacturers are paying for basic shapes. Innovate all you wish, inventing new usable shapes isn't going to happen. New ways to display icons aren't going to revolutionize the industry. Kid yourself all you want.

Even so, apple didn't invent any of these things, and I say after the first iPhone they have done little to innovate the market (aside from iPad). While Android devices have brought new features version after version, and new devices after new devices, Apple has rested on its laurals and simply refreshed the iPhone year after year with little new offered. Its the cult culture that drives the sales, the idea that owning an iPhone makes you "somebody" (with few folks actually realizing it is what they need) is what makes Apple...well Apple.

Yes, its a good if not great device. Its exactly what some need. Sadly the cult and culture Apple has bred has diluted this to near nothing but a status symbol. I dare say that iOS is only superior to Android in instant useablity.

I could wax long about the freedom Android offers and so on, but that's getting away from the topic.

Apple isn't hurt financially by Samsung. Hell their feelings aren't hurt. This wasn't even about the damn mundane (and IMHO should be common use) patents. Its about Apple being challenged by a competitor and realizing that with its internal philosophy it isn't competing and losing. And like all Americans, I'd you can't get what you want...you sue.

Apple victory....maybe. Start of innovation...hardly. You can't patent and bully an industry without hurting the consumer. I'm not "butthurt". I'm going to be financially hurt. That angers me more than not having bounceback or grids of icon. And apple fans, you are going to be hurt as well.

You don't have to redesign new shapes in order to not step on Apples toes, just make it a little bit different. You saw all the details from this case. Samsung copied the iphone in order to copy the experience, you can call it whatever you want but it's not innovation. The no-clone agreement that Apple and Microsoft have explains this beautifully. Go about your business just don't make clones, put hard work into it, innovate and come up with something new.

I don't agree with the whole Apple is scared of competition argument. If that is the case why are they going after the GS1 and Android tablets? That phone is pretty much out of the picture and no one buys Android tablets for it to be some kind of threat to the ipad sales. The rumors about a smaller ipad is also proof that Apple is up for competing with the Kindle fire, and Googles 7 incher. Apple also approached Samsung for a licensing deal and Samsung shunned them so where is the fear of competing when Apple was willing to play ball and allow them to sell their devices while making a little scratch on the side? Samsung sealed their own fate and now they pay.

You Android apologists need to throw the cult argument out the window already. Basically you are saying that Apple doesn't deserve their success because all they put out is refreshed dullness and they only make their money from idiots who want to look cool, will follow Apple into hell, baristas, hipsters, idiots who think Android is so hard to use...etc. So your mad that Apple has money and you want people to have choice as long as they choose Android and only a company that makes Android phones should be at the top, no one else. What works for you is Android so everyone should want Android. Sounds like communism.

Not at all what I meant, but I'm just going to say "OK".

Movie night with the boys. Hunger Games. I think we each agree that family is more important.

Sammy lost. Apple won.

Oh alright...

Thanks for not getting ugly with me. I would hate to see Roger issue another warning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast