+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Originally Posted by RogerG And that's all anybody can ask for, idnit? I happen to ... Smartphone News forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    And that's all anybody can ask for, idnit?

I happen to like my iPhone right now. We were pretty much locked into BlackBerry Desktop Manager if we wanted to sync our contacts (before Google) or backup our data, so for me, the transition to being "locked" to iTunes wasn't that much of a stretch.

I can't bounce around from one technology to another. I wanna take what I have, learn as much as I can about it and take it from there. If I get bored or disenchanted with Apple (like I did with BlackBerry) down the road, then I'll move on, but for now, iPhone suits my needs just fine.
    I agree with your comment on syncing contacts, but I just plug the BB in (phone or Playbook) with the USB and I can explore the file contents with the normal windows file manager software, I don't need Blackberry Desktop Manager, I can copy and paste pictures, music, documents and so forth.

With regards to changing I have used an IPod since they first came out, and haven't changed yet, if you are happy with the Apple Ecosystem which millions of people are, then stay with it, it certainly is nice to use if you don't want to mix and match, I still look at the Apple hardware from the Macbooks, to the IPods and they are really nice. That's the problem you can never get the best of all worlds

My problem with the article was not really so much what it said more the things that have been happening with various manufactures, software companies and so forth where they are beginning to impose what they think you want (like Facebook changing your default email address which means they just went into your personal account and modified it, if they do it others will follow. It's getting to the stage where automatic updates are being pushed to your computers and unless you make an effort to turn things off (which most people don't) they get installed, you are never informed of what the updates do or why you need them, I don't mind so much with the security updates but others I wonder about, and wonder if they are actually 100% compatible with my hardware, since the companies very rarely test them fully. Microsoft security updates upload to your computer but rarely can you find what the changes are and sometimes they stop other software working. Apple updates the IPad with new hardware, all the app builders have to improve their apps, that leaves people with the original IPad finding that they cannot load certain apps and others have slowed down considerably, it's not really Apple's fault but it leaves people needing to change their IPad's which of course benefits Apple. So I ask what are our rights??

Now with the Cloud coming more and more prominent (all seems to benefit the consumer) only it doesn't really because you have to use data to move things back and forth and there are these cyber criminals that are constantly wanting to write viruses and attack/take stuff like passwords to get into banking sites.

Sorry for the Rant.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Apple updates the IPad with new hardware, all the app builders have to improve their apps, that leaves people with the original IPad finding that they cannot load certain apps and others have slowed down considerably, it's not really Apple's fault but it leaves people needing to change their IPad's which of course benefits Apple. So I ask what are our rights??
    Dush... really?

Why do people only accuse Apple when they upgrade their hardware, and the old can't run like the new? RIM is doing it, and so is Microsoft, and if you are a regular joe, and have an Android device, you've been lacking updates, and stuck with an aging device that runs half as great as the newer Android devices. Where are the rights for Android users with updates? oh, it's called "choice" when someone other than Apple does it.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Cap, I am sorry, my rant was actually aimed at all hardware/software manufacturers, I used Apple because my daughter bought the first IPad about 30 mths ago and now a lot of the Apps she has do not work so well, and a number some of the Apps she wanted wont work at all, as she is a student upgrading her IPad after such a short time is not really an option. (Of course I could buy her a new one but that is not really the point ). You may have noticed I mentioned Microsoft in there for auto updates. Computer hardware has a redundancy built in (much like phones) but the IPad is particularly bad, people are still using old Apple computers, old PC's and getting away with it.

I suppose in the end it comes down to how we use these things and how we all keep wanting the best fastest latest shinyist, coolest smallest, biggest, newest, thing out there. No I am not saying Apple is any worst or better than any of the rest of them but since they are making the most money they become a target as does ExxonMobil, Walmart or McDonalds. Software updates are necessary for security, I just worry more about the Cloud and how we all share more and more without fully understanding the downside of it, those of us that do understand the security/privacy issues always avoid it, but many don't. As time goes by we will all know what everyone is doing and it will be perfectly ok.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I just read that Microsoft is intending on having an upgrade pathway from Windows XP to Windows 8, something sadly lacking between Windows XP and Windows 7. Must stay away from the Cloud. Reminds me of these people that want to have access to your computing for it's computing power when you are not using it, sounds like such a nice idea, help the world out, but no you are not getting your grubby hands on my cpu!!!!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't see anything in that article to be overly concerned about. If true we will have to wait and see how they actually implement the ideas. For now I'm not worried, iTunes has been too bloated for years. We need something done to help fix that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12