+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By srl7741
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...o-Be-Skeptical... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Apple’s iBooks Textbooks: 4 Reasons to Be Skeptical

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not sure which is worse, the 4 reasons or the fact someone actually believes them. You can drive a semi sideways through each reason.
    BHP77 likes this.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    The reason are solid. There are a couple of ways to make it work...But probably not on Ipad They would need a tablet to be considerably cheaper for something like this to work. Like Kindle fire prices or cheaper. Amazon could probably make a school edition that would be cheaper not to mention that it would be easier to do for amazon to get the textbooks digitized seeing as they have been getting into the publishing business. Hell you could even make a go at this with the standard eink kindle. The books need to be cheaper too and both would probably have to be purchased by the parents if they wanted to charge for each user. Which is a problem, in public schools because parents usually put their children in public school because the idea of private school is too expensive. And mixing methods would cause social problems; all or nothing. Even if you went all in think about how many kids would get robbed in bad areas if you used a standard tablet like apple or android? Because they would almost always have a tablet on them on their way home. Not to mention Every desk would need a power outlet just in case. The installation and subsequent utilities cost increase is something to consider. They could have a kindle fire version that stays in the each classroom that you sign into and log out from and then if they wanted to read it at home they could either buy a kindle or use the free kindle pc reading app. Or use the library computers at school if they dont have a pc at home. Thats a long shot but it has better chances than the school buying ipads with their 500$ each price tag.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If Apple really envisions this happening they won't be charging 500 bucks a pop for an iPad.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Cost will be a problem. Maybe Apple will sell the schools refurbished and maybe implement a credit for trading in your iPad for school use.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Cost I believe is cut dramatically by using iPads. Even if the school has to buy the books which I don't think is right. Parents should pay the cost for books and deposit on the iPad for each year.

This is groundbreaking. I'm saddened that the only article on Pinstack is about why to be wary or skeptical. Where is the article about the announcement or about the details of this?

There were two things released yesterday. The second being the iBooks Author. Wow, what a program. Where is this??
    Last edited by BHP77; 01-20-2012 at 08:43 PM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If Apple really envisions this happening they won't be charging 500 bucks a pop for an iPad.
    I'd hope not. We support a local elementary school who's parents can't afford food for their children. I'd hate to see them (and the budget crunched school system) have to decide between a electronic textbook or food.

I think the program has promise, but I hope it ends up being fair and affordable for all economic classes. Higher education is already biased towards the haves, hope primary doesn't become the same.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    My local school system issues laptops to each student starting in the 7th grade so this wouldn't be a stretch for them to switch to ipads.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I have no doubts that some school systems can afford it, and honestly that's great. Really.

I wonder about communities that have cut back (losing programs, teachers aides, and teachers) being left out.

As far as I know here only one school has gone towards something of this nature, and its z private school.

Before I get jumped on as being against Apple and therefore against this, I assure you I'm not. I'd love to see my children be able to experience this and have it enhance their learning. The boys have been playing with an ipad tonight. My youngest (perhaps to irritate me) proudly announced he wants one. (He's sleeping outside tonight).

I have to believe Apple has a plan to help underfunded school systems or underprivileged families afford this and get on board. If not then it'd be a divider, further affecting children who are already at a disadvantage.

And believe me, I know what its like to not be able to afford the essentials for school. I had to constantly borrow paper, pens from friends throughout school. I couldn't even afford lunch.
    srl7741 likes this.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I'm still not seeing where iPads cost more??? Maybe my math is wrong but I don't think so. How many different classes are in the high school level? 20-30?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well my kids are past school age already, but I would have been very annoyed if the school forced me to purchase an item for $500. Having said that it is great that children can avoid carrying a lot of books around. This will however allow Apple to sell more Ipads, maybe offload Ipad2's, with the new Ipad3 coming out. What would really put Apple in a good light is if they made the software capable of working on many different systems which would mean they truly care about children and education and not just their bottom line.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Cost is a concern and I'm sure there will be ways for that to become reasonable for public schools going forward. The iPad3 will open the door for the iPad2 cost to be reduced.

Forbes posted an article asking the same $ question.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I see cost being an issue, especially with breakage. Most kids are not gentle with their things. Tossing around the iPads, or throwing them into backpacks will probably be the norm, just because of how kids are. When I was a kid, I always used the kickstand on my bike, but most of my friends just got off their bikes and let the bikes drop to their side on the ground. I still see kids do that today. I do not think kids will be more gentle with iPads than they are with books or bikes.

+ Reply to Thread