+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...s-The-solution... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Apple Maps. The solution.

Advertisement

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok since no one has even commented, let me add some stuff that I´ve tested:
    One major drawback and it sucks. If you have Apple Maps running (GPS) all calls will be lost (or they´ll go to your Voicemail if you have it configured). That happens when you´re surfing the Web on 3G, or with any app that draws on 3G for instant or local information. If someone calls you won´t know.
    So, simultaneous usage of data and GSM is a major NO NO!
    And this sucks. This morning I didn´t get two very urgent calls (one business and one family) ´cause I was using GPS/Apple Maps in the city centre for about 2 hours.
    Also, Apple Maps is severely deficient. I read they would use TomTom maps for this, but obviously they aren´t. It informs wrongly about routes, it doesn´t recognize one way streets and some major roads are missing. And to reroute, it takes forever! Now, if you´re in traffic and waiting for a reroute and it isn´t fast enough, you cause mayhem! And I did take a right turn into a one-way street. So it blows.
    Thank goodnes I have TomTom which I have always used. Accurate. On time and all data is on the i4S. No need for data via 3G. Rerouting is immediate.
    I tried Apple Maps. Forget it! It´s going to be another SIRI like beta app for a long time.
    Total disappointment. Apple this is crazy! If its no good don't use it! Damn...
    I wonder, if it was another OS what people would be saying!

I'm pissed off ! Because two calls of the uttermost urgency were lost.
    Last edited by Delfim; 09-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I just use Google Maps
    Oh....right.....iPhone can't at the moment.....

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Other then playing around with the app, I have not had a chance to actually use it. I too also generally use TomTom and it's been very good. That's a major problem if calls will not come in while iMap is in use.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    RogerG is asking some FB friends to try it out as well. The app must be running and updating via 3G. If its on WiFI it will receive calls, apparently.
    This has nothing to do with the app itself, but with the inability of data and GSM to work simultaneously. It could be a carrier problem too, in this case Vodafone.
    Whatever the result I will let you know.
    Its important we know.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I was also reading that the for 4G/LTE if you are on ATT I believe that you can use data and voice simultaneously, voice is on 3G (although don't quote me ), however on Verizon this is not possible, which I would think is going to cause major issues.

It seems that as with any large companies there is a certain amount of arrogance and a decision was made to go in a particular direction, at least the App store has enough apps available for you to circumnavigate Apple Maps and replace it with something else (no doubt it costs money and puts more cash in Apple's pockets but then you accept this when you make the decision to go with that company).

The point that is annoying is the glowing reviews of the IPhone 5 being the game changer, along with IOS 6, I wonder how many people will buy and be dissapointed about such issues, or will they accept the ups with the downs and still be happy, after all Del you have demonstrated in this article a workaround to use Google Maps, or as you state TomTom is available for purchase.

Personally if I had an IPhone I think I would probably buy Tom Tom. With my wife's IPad I will not be updating it to IOS6 as I do not think that there is anything at the moment that she is desperate for on the update, I will wait until the app for Google Maps is released.

"I'm psyched!"
    Sadly, as (obviously) biased as Sammy's ads are there rings truth within.

Hey...there's always next year! Maybe the Map app will be better.

(Still laughing over thar ad. "Should be a priority line for those that have waited 5 times..)

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Just to add to the misery have a look at this link from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19659736

I used to live near Uckfield (in my days in the UK) so this would be something that would annoy me. I notice that Tom Tom are trying to distance themselves from the problem.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    So a maps app on a smartphone is supposed to be as good as a stand alone dedicated GPS device? And every platforms new OS runs perfectly smooth it's first release? BTW, Google maps is spotty to say the least, and how long has it been out?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok guys, I´ve tested as extensively as possible all the hiccups I mentioned above. Got a volunteer (my poor patient wife) and came to the conclusion that I'm more confused now than what I was at the beginning of this problem.
    But before I go any further: Glenn, TomTom is not a stand alone dedicated GPS. It´s available on App Store. Expensive but wonderful...
    The problem has to do with with reception from the carrier. In this case Vodafone PT.
    I noticed that in areas with uninterrupted 3G the calls came through. When I deliberately went to ares where the signal dropped to E, the calls didn't come through at all.
    Bandwidth, like RogerG suggested to me? Maybe and probably.
    So where is the fault. The app? The i4S or the carrier?
    I'm going to send this thread (you don´t mind do you Rog?) to Apple and see what they have to say. they´re usually quick, so whenver I get an answer I´ll let you guys know.
    Regarding the maps on Apple Maps GPS, i'll also ask when Apple will intend to fix this. They´re unreliable. Totally!
    Last edited by Delfim; 09-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds good to me, Del. Nothing like a little exposure to some Apple peeps.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    And Dave... about TomTom. You´re travelled, right? Ok imagine Europe, Italy or some village in France. Or Spain, in Portugal where in 1 sq mile we have an enormous amount of small roads, alleys, crossings and whatnot. TomTom is faultless. Oneway, closed roads, roads, transit, and all the info you want is up there on the iPhone. No 3G and permanent internet access to "update" youir position. Granted the app takes almost 5Gb of your memory, but it's worth it.
    Obviously I cant relate TomTom to the US or Canada. But if Europe is such a quagmire, then North America is a cinch.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok Rog, thanks. This is going to Apple today!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm betting they'll get it fixed. And yes I know TomTom is as app and I misread your initial post Del, my apologies. Back to my original statement, I have yet to see any new OS on any platform run smoothly. That's why at least Apple sends updates.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I think the issue isn't with iOS, but how Apple promoted iMaps and now its not up to snuff.

Of course there will be updates, but its one of the "features" of iOS6 and by extension the iPhone 5. While I agree with you to a point, I don't think it wise to spew typical propaganda when the app (in house at that) isn't up to the usual quality of iOS apps or the competitions that used to be standard.

In a few weeks this will all be history....
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast