+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...What-We-Wanted... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Apple iPhone 5S: What We Got vs. What We Wanted

Advertisement

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    From what I heard everybody was thinking the 5C was to go after the prepaid market and that didn't happen for sure and I think that was a mistake for apple. The other is the larger screen. Just finished reading about how the Z30 could be a big thing for Blackberry since there are only two phones in that area to compete with since apple stayed out of that market.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Z30 specs, other than screen size, are underwhelming.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    The prepaid market would have to be one of the most difficult to predict I would think. Gearing a device in that direction seems risky to me. I would think prepaid is a very small market compared to the rest. Most people want to do more when they want and limiting themselves is a tough task. IMO

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Prepaid market in Europe is massive guys. It achieves up to 60% of all new subscriptions. The market is worth 54% of all contracts out here. At the price that the 5C is going to be suggested I doubt it will have many takers.
    Come to think of it, the price of the 5C at 599 Euros unlocked, is abusive as well. Not to say it's plain ridiculous.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Prepaid is also becoming more prevalent here as well. Solavei is a case in point, and all the major carriers seem to be heading in that direction.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Really I did not know that Del course there is a lot I don't know so I will add this to my list. I was just thinks that pushing a certain device towards that is what I don't understand. Is there only certain devices you can go prepaid with?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Del doesn't prepay anything. Geez Craig! And I don't push either.
    Goodness!

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    The only way the iFans will get what they want is to not buy the new iPhone until it has it. But that never going to happen.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    They're reselling the i5 with funky colors on the back that's all and charging as a new phone. People can't see this I suppose which grinds my gears .

The only upgrade is the i5S. This is why I'm telling my partnahs and pals not to go for it and go for the i6

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Del doesn't prepay anything. Geez Craig! And I don't push either.
    Goodness!
    how foolish of me Del I'm lost my head for a minute got it back now

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ . Don't take it so seriously bro...things will get back on course.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    64Bit processor, is this just not a marketing gimmic?? Thinking of computers which of course is what smartphones are, the reason one goes for 64 bit is so that the software can address more the 3.5 Gigabytes of Ram to allow for faster internal processing, this of course also means that the software needs to be written to address the use of a 64 bit processor. Now correct if i am wrong, but in the case of the new Iphone 5S and 5C they only actually have 1 Gigabyte of Ram in use the rest is all storage much like the old hard disks, obviously when they have 8 Gb of Ram on board that 64 bit processor will be brilliant, but today, methinks it may be more of a hinderance to the speed of the Apps. Why you may ask? Well all the Apps are written to be 32 Bit for the current Iphones and Ipads, these 32 bit Apps will not necessarily run in native mode and may actually run slower, much as running a program written for a 32 bit processor runs a little slower on the 64 bit chip, which is often compensated for by have far more ram to run in.

So it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Definitely a good marketing ploy for the people that buy it, but if someone said to me I bought it for the 64 bit chip I would most definitely at this stage ask Why???
    raton likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That needs a # ****Dave...

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    64Bit processor, is this just not a marketing gimmic?? Thinking of computers which of course is what smartphones are, the reason one goes for 64 bit is so that the software can address more the 3.5 Gigabytes of Ram to allow for faster internal processing, this of course also means that the software needs to be written to address the use of a 64 bit processor. Now correct if i am wrong, but in the case of the new Iphone 5S and 5C they only actually have 1 Gigabyte of Ram in use the rest is all storage much like the old hard disks, obviously when they have 8 Gb of Ram on board that 64 bit processor will be brilliant, but today, methinks it may be more of a hinderance to the speed of the Apps. Why you may ask? Well all the Apps are written to be 32 Bit for the current Iphones and Ipads, these 32 bit Apps will not necessarily run in native mode and may actually run slower, much as running a program written for a 32 bit processor runs a little slower on the 64 bit chip, which is often compensated for by have far more ram to run in.

So it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Definitely a good marketing ploy for the people that buy it, but if someone said to me I bought it for the 64 bit chip I would most definitely at this stage ask Why???

Very well thought out opinion. I too agree with you with the use of the onboard RAM. I just wish we could upgrade...wait for it... The RAM as we are capable of doing on our PC's and in the very near future build our own phones as I do with my gaming rigs. That would take innovation to the extreme. But until then us tech geeks can only dream about what we want on our mobile devices.

RogerG likes this.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast