+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Capdot
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-Apple-Android... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Apple & Android. The 11 Patents That Are The Bone Of Contention, E

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Raise your hand if any of these patents were major determining factors when you purchased your phone.

Some of these "patents' are just stupid. They should be basic and implemented on all devices regardless.

BTW, I'm keeping it off Pinstack, but my "Anti-Apple" attitude is at an all time high......

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ufff... ! The functions have been there, in most smartphones, for eons, fine tuned by the different app manufacturers to give their clients the best possible UI and utility... No, none of the above were determining factors, nor do I believe Apple fans made their choice because of those things. This is damn ridiculous. Apple should be sued for actually proclaiming to have invented things which they stole from "artists, painters and poets". Even the phone concept from Graham Bell.
    This is tiring.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I agree with some of the things pointed out here. But at the end of the day, Apple Inc is going to do what's in Apple Inc's best interest, period. Don't you feel that if the shoe was on the other foot Samsung, Google and HTC would be doing the same thing? Don't kid yourself, they will and have in the past.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    The Nexus is currently banned, but Samsung is saying that it will be back next week, so if it's an easy change to the code or the fix is in Jelly Bean, why wait for the ban to fix it? If these patents are easily avoidable why use something that is patented if your all about innovation, and could come up with something else? Samsung ain't no dummy, and I like their phones and own some of their products, but I have a hard time understanding them sitting by and allowing a judge to ban your product, when your product could be selling right now if only you acted more quickly. If you care about your consumers you would be doing anything you could to get your product in their hands. I'm not saying Samsung doesn't care about their consumers, but come on!

Samsung knows Apple is going through their devices with a fine tooth comb, but they still don't learn. I don't care how small these functions are, and justifying it by saying Apple stole first is childish. Yes, Apple has taken ideas in the past, and everyone is guilty, but lets create some new ideas and provide good tech without using someone else's ****.
    Delfim and jfcooley like this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    grrr. wanted to comment on Chokems [edit and Caps] good posts but can't see the darn things.

I am going from memory here (of course I can edit once this shows up again on "what's new"0

I have no good answer for why include the patent then change. I'm not sure I'd agree (yet) that said patent is actually violated, since courts haven't ruled. Does look fishy though to change up after the ban, unless it's just an attempt at circumventing the ban until an actual ruling it handed down.

Will say this has given the Nexus some attention. Maybe the free advertising is part of it, I don't know.

I will say that as far as the universal search goes, I won't miss it. I never use it anyway. I have shortcuts set up for all the contacts I use frequently and apps that are used on a daily basis.

I have a beef with all the lawsuits. IF your patent is ganked, cool, go after them. These "Emergency Bans" are bs though. Honestly, no one is choosing an Nexus over an iPhone cause of universal search. Sell the damn things and if found guilty pay up for the units sold that violate.

I know we see differently, but it seems more and more like Apple wants to compete in the courts and not on the market. Ban this, ban that, claim financial destruction, I don't see it. Does the average consumer get confused when they see an iPhone and a Galaxy? Do they really mean to buy an iPad and mistakenly buy a GTab? I've said it before, if you are spending the money that these devices demand and NOT doing research and understanding each, then you are dumb as a post. In the end I don't believe that Apple loses money in iThing sales because someone thinks the Android device is the same thing. That doesn't mean I think Google/Samsung/HTC shouldn't pay up if a valid patent is infringed upon.

I do think some of these patents are insanely vague and shouldn't be patents. Black slabs of glass and plastic/metal shouldn't have a patent unless it has some feature on the outside that is distinctive and unique to that device, and is a trademark. No galaxy tab should have a circular home button or a giant apple logo on the back. Rounded corners should be a no brainer, just let it go.

Slide to unlock....good Lord I'd love to see this just go away. If my android had a rectangle with a little button with the text "slide to unlock" then ok. But suing over the whole gesture? Perhaps car makers should start patenting how to unlock your car door. BTW, it's beyond me why Apple doesn't go after the little guys that make unlock widgets that look exactly like the iPhones. Guess there's no money in that......

I hope I've made sense. Yes it's wrong to outright copy something that's distinctive to a device. Yes valid (intelligently given) patents should be protected. Yes those that violate said patents should pay. Dumb as hell, vague patents shouldn't have been given in the first place (thank's Patent Office) and should be laughed out of court.

Lastly, competition should take place in the stores, not court rooms.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 07-05-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Delfim likes this.

+ Reply to Thread