+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-Ignoring-Them... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: This App Actually Lets You See Who's Opening Your Emails And Who's

Advertisement

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The secret method isn't so secret.

This is all dependent on the user using HTML email and loading remote content enabled from your recipient. By default, modern mail clients will load HTML, but will not download remote resources, precisely because it can be used to see when/if an email was read (and abuse of such information by spammers).

It would be interesting to find out how many people go through the trouble of viewing remote resources, or even enabling it by default on a per-recipient basis. I imagine it's not a huge number, which would impact the reliability of such services.
    Last edited by Thyth; 12-06-2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Article comment system ate my linefeeds.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Agreed. I'm not at all worried if people I mail read or don't read. They do of course or else I wouldn't be answered. Commercially speaking there is the question of whether yourmessage gets read or not, and here, it can be an effective marketing controller, and I am sure it will be beneficial. If its use is disciplined and controlled.

+ Reply to Thread