+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By BHP77

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...are-since-July... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Android sees a 472% increase in malware since July

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree with Gruber on this one and don't think it's a very accurate report for the average Android user.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That's why we have to read all this type of "hype" news with salt strewn all over the place. Regardless of whatever OS, or whatever opinion.
    Gruber comments on the nitty gritty of the problem. Like me, an avid Droid user and abuser, nothing ever happens. Nor have their been any warnings. My SmrtGuard is silent.
    I suppose you have to be a hacker to be hacked by malware...
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-17-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    srl7741 likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Its safe to say I download a lot. I sideload a lot. I've never hit anything that's set smrtguard off. Guess I'm either careful or lucky.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Saying that is like the people that caught malware,spyware going, "but I had Norton" . You cant rely on any program to keep you safe. You have to be smart about what you load and where you get it from.
    srl7741 likes this.

The folks that get this stuff are essentially being unintelligent in their own actions, and that's how most viruses or malware works.
    SmrtGuard, Lookout etc are a nice safety net but shouldn't ever be relied on as a catch all.

Given my predilection of trying betas, alphas which are almost always sideloaded. I've always been aware of who or where the apps come from. If I can't find info on the developer, if there are no reviews or sketchy info I pass.

Malware is a fact of life with Android. I accept it. I prepare for it. Its a trade off that comes with the freedom of Android.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Talking about the article, I don't think it's touching on how many Android users are affected but the fact that this is becoming a issue and sooner rather than latter it's going to be a huge issue that Google WILL have to address. Again, when we look at these ecosystems and their users, 90% are the ones that don't know squat. the 10% are us. The ones that take the precautions. At the rate that Malware and Spyware is growing in the Market it's only a matter of time before many become affected and with how these attacks are carried out, the user may not even know that they are being affected. Do you Del or Jay truly know that you aren't being affected??

I pose this question, how many use Pandora radio? Do you know how it handles your information? Whether it be on iOS or ANdroid, do you know what they are doing? Selling your info, it's in the EUA that you clicked yes to.

This is a app that provides a service that we all love and a lot use. What we don't look at is how it handles our info. A app could easily provide feature that we would like to have and be doing something malicious in the background. This was proven by Charlie Rose. Given that that guy is a ex-NSA agent means he has extraordinary talent for these type of things but he proved it none the less. Even in Apples secure zone.

I think what I get out of this is this, as someone that is very interested in tech and follows it, I like the look of ICS for android. It has a very good promise of finally Google getting their act together with Android and start cleaning up the mess they have created with fragmentation. As someone who owns a google platform and many shares of stock this is good. As a consumer it looks promising that it could entice me to switch from Apple. The reason for this article is to make us aware of the growing threat and as someone, who like many have personal information and does banking on their phone this turns me off to the the Android side. Yes it may eventually grow to a better platform, but at what cost.

Next year when we start see thousands getting their bank info stollen and emails hacked just by using their phone, how is that going to sit with the general consumer??? Not very well with me. I wouldn't buy the same OS when I know they aren't policing it and every joe blow can create a app that looks good but does something else. We want peace of mind and unless Google starts acting like THEY OWN ANDROID it's just going to get worse for it's users.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Only thing malicious is this article! Who's paying these people to write these scary boogie man tales about Android? Could it be the competition that's getting steamrolled by Android? This is total BS people.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Could it be the competition that's getting steamrolled by Android?
    Why would RIM do such a thing?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^ They are planning ahead for next year^^

BHP, I think I respectfully disagree with the 90/10 comment. Visit xda and see just how many "us" there are. Users who download from the market are saferthan this article lets on. Yes malware is on the market but Google has thus far responded quickly. Not only are the files pulled but there are usually fixes posted quickly.

But again the user carries the responsibility here. If it looks premium but is free there's your clue.

Is Microsoft to blame for windows viruses? Is Apple for the few its seen? No one in this day and age is ignorant when it comes to knowing that stuff is out there. What really gets me is how often we jump on the OS maker instead of the virus writer. We say Google is to blame, when its impossible to predict all exploits. Your jailbreak is an exploit, no one is saying shame on Apple because they users benefit. If it was malicious then everyone would scream bloody murder.

Know your responsibility and quit blaming the OS. Especially if you are careless to ignore the warnings.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The way I see it is:If you have created a popular platform that has the largest number of users then people that write viruses, malware will, I repeat will attack it for the simple reason that they can do the most damage/make the most money/hit the most people in the shortest amount of time. That is why Microsoft was hit and Apple/UNIX/Linux was not. When a computer is cheaper and in everybodies home that is the one to hit. Did Microsoft have worst security the Apple, probably not as bad as people make out, it was just a bigger target to hit. Moving onto the IPhone, Android, Blackberry etc. Android is currently being hit, but anyone noticed that more security breaches are beginning to hit IOS? Is this because they have spent less time on security, no, it's because the hackers are beginning to see the major potential in hitting IOS. Blackberry has a fairly secure system, but it can still be hit, it's just the RIM is not such a big target because there are not so many Apps and it is considered more of boring technology, which you have to learn how to program for, why bother when you can break into the bigger targets?So if you have a smartphone or a computer no matter what the operating system you need to be aware of what you load onto it, where you get the software from, and what it is doing, if you purchase things online be careful, ensure the sites start with https use difficult passwords, letters/numbers etc. Use good anti-virus software, turn your computer off occasionally reboot it, watch if anything strange starts at startup, and clear your cookies, browser history etc.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    4,125,445 registered users, I'll take number and say that could be the total that visit that site as guest and users.(It's still not Android specific but we'll go with it) There are what, 25-30 million Android users across all versions of android. So that's around 15%. It's not that far off of 90/10. I think it will continue to grow but I don't see it being a 50/50 split.
    Last edited by BHP77; 11-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Oho i agree its not 50/50.

+ Reply to Thread