+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ion-visualized... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Android’s ever-increasing fragmentation visualized

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Oh nooooo.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Not an Android killer in the least. Retention and app killer. Absolutely. I don't think it's going to be as big an issue in the coming years as it has been though. Samsung is the undisputed leader pushing Android. And they seem to be doing a reasonable job at keeping their devices up to date.
    Last edited by BP41; 07-26-2013 at 08:33 PM.

I know it won't keep me. I can't find any good apps and there's too many of these damn phones. I mean everywhere I look all I see are androids. God. I need an iPhone, no....a blackberry. Who in the world would stay with an OS that's so popular. They should charge for it...

Maybe I'm just maturing. Whew, and I thought it'd never happen.

(And any replies won't be responded to until tomorrow) especially ones that tell how much I hate Apple and I'm on such a losing os.)

Yeah, I'm cranky. My gomment check is late.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I know it won't keep me. I can't find any good apps and there's too many of these damn phones. I mean everywhere I look all I see are androids. God. I need an iPhone, no....a blackberry. Who in the world would stay with an OS that's so popular. They should charge for it...

(And any replies won't be responded to until tomorrow) especially ones that tell how much I hate Apple and I'm on such a losing os.)

Have you eaten today?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    There is no such thing as fragmentation on Android... Just different levels of awesomeness!

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post

Edit. PM has explained.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BP41; 07-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Fragmentation is a myth perpetrated by those looking to grab clicks and traffic.

So here we see a nice little picture that really says little other than there are many different devices.

Let's assume that the bottom line for versions is 2.1 (gingerbread). Top of the line would be 4.3.

At th he moment, of the 20 top selling android apps, 1 needs android 4+ others will work on any other version from gingerbread up.

Of the 20 top free apps, instagram has a feature fir 4.0+ that isn't available on earlier versions, but runs on , all.

A quick (unscientific) scan of random apps I own (400+) shows a handful that are 4+ specific and all require root (except Nova) which makes the point moot.

The argument that fragmentation limits apps for lower versions is false. I'd wager that I could run a inherited device and use all popular apps and be able to find utilities that would work as well as the ones I use on 4.2.

As for screen sizes Google provides api and support to allow the scaling of apps per screen.
    http://developer.android.com/guide/p...s_support.html for further info.

Now how about processing power and memory? Well I will concede that older devices are going to begin to be left behind, I'd argue this is the case for nearly all tech. To an 500mhz 256 mb device and expect top tier performance isnot androids (or Apple, MS, Blackberry for that matter) fault but one of advancing tech vs need to upgrade. Same issue for pc. How many diffetent pc exist, running different versions of Windows or OSX? Oh no.....pc fragmentation!!!!

My point in all of this is underlined by one simple test that matters the most. Walk to a mall, or on any street and ask Android users what version of Android they have. I'd bet the answers will vary wildly and few would know. If they don't know, and are satisfied with app choice vs feature sets then where does fragmentation come in to pay for them?

I forgot features. Not every new feature is available to older versions. Not officially. Yet while gingerbread lacks the expanded notifications, there's an app available that does. There in lies some of the beauty of Android. Users aren't limited to features fed to them by the version they have installed. Developers work to give them features that work as good on their devices.

In the end I don't have my head in the sand. Fragmentation is a myth, a buzzword used by opponents of the platform to generate hits and sell ad space. If there are android users who worry about fragmentation I haven't met them.

Now, I'm struggling to see any more so this is it. If typed like to debate then it will have to wait.
    BP41 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread