+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...alware-writers... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Android is the new Windows for malware writers

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    The upcoming tsunami?
    Good god....

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    "How are you preparing for the upcoming tsunami of network device-centric malware and security vulnerabilities in the network?"

I downloaded avast and will be upgrading to lumia.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm gonna grab tin-foil...and a paddle!

You know I've got or have downloaded 1000's of apps. Yes 1000's. Many have been side loaded, picked up from xda as brand new apk, or beta, or just never put on the market.

I'm on my 5th android, Cassie is on her 3rd. Not 1 piece of malware or virus yet. I don't use a virus or malware program. I use the very best tools to avoid anything with minimal effort.

What do I use?
    Common sense, read reviews, know (somewhat) the people who develope the apps I use.

Now, has anyone noticed these things always begin to pop up more and more the closer a new iPhone gets to dropping?

There is no tsunami. There will be no tsunami.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    No tsunami, agreed Jay. Your experience which is far more than mine, is proof that this all is vastly exagerated. Whether it has to do with announcements that are shortly due or not, is any one's guess. But it all points that way. So much so for the fragmentation problem as well, and mark my words there will be a few of those popping up before September 20.
    Batting closer to home, I had that problem with Google Mail - spam, remember? So did Glenn and Cats I believe. That has nothing to do with Android. Or so I thought...but apparently what happened was that some app I downloaded from Google Play (no, not a side load or anything) was the cause of that. I suspect it was WhatsApp, but obviously I can't confirm. So, regardless of how careful you may be, we are all prone to it happening.
    I'm wondering now how long it will take for my WP to be prone to that sort of thing.

Someone sold addresses. May have had access to your contacts (through permissions) and then shared.

While its likely to happen on android more, it can happen across platforms.

I know you guys have had trouble and I've kept quiet, but I've been searching looking for a culprit. So far none, but I've been very busy lately.

I have had that happen to several people at church. I usually get the spam because they have my email. I have one particularly bad case that I'm still tracking, mostly because I don't know all the users on that PC. The others had a social media site in common. I can't remember the name but one member created a profile then everyone in her mailbox got hit, and it spread.

I'd like to know what app you had in common. I can install and limit the permissions. Them I can see if it calls out. Given the amount of users whatsapp has I think it would be common to see it in reviews. I'll have to check them out.

Not saying you guys are wrong, have no evidence of that. I will say, based on what I know, there's probably more in common than just android and/or gmail.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Is the nature of thier system and how it's handled. There will be a big surge in what we see as far as malware and such on Android. It's inevitable, and already started. An there is no coralation to iphone releases.

As far has how to handle it. Well...about 5% use good sense when looking at an app and its permissions. Something google needs to change. Looking at it from an enterprise perspective it's quite clear that security measures need to be in place. How they will do is hard to know. But it has to be addressed if companys want to continue to offer BYOD.

For me, I require iOS. It's BYOD, as long as it's an iphone. I have it that way for many reasons. Security being one.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    All I know is that after countless iOS devices, iPhones and iPads, I've NEVER had a security issue of any kind. Read into that what you may, that's all I'm saying.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

+ Reply to Thread