+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...or-iPhone-iPad... Smartphone News forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Article: Adobe Gives up on Flash for iPhone, iPad

Advertisement

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    How is c++ and html5 restrictig devs to only one platform??? Adobe's comments are a bit misleading. I guess they are hurt over losing out on such a large and growing market. But the future is not flash so I have to agree with Apple. In fact, its Adobe who has managed to tie us all down to flash and if we don't download the various browser and software plugins and add-ons then we cant view content. Replacing flash with html5 and c++ etc only will eliminate ever having to download or port anything. That's a big plus for consumers and a huge blow for Adobe.

It sucks that I can't view a lot of flash content on safari or for dev's who can't port apps but this won't be an issue in a few years.

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    Excellent points hayden. I will be soo glad as flash fades that i can go to a web site with active content and not have to download a SPECIFIC plugin to see it.

Seem Adobe is upset because they spent resources developing an app packager for the iPhone and now developers can't use it. (basically trying to lock folks in like a cell phone contract!)

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I have to agree Flash is/has been bad for us even though most don't notice or care much about it. It's a resource hog and battery killer on mobile devices which becomes important.

Flash also prohibits the gathering of accurate stats and lacks basic navigation features.

Flash has been great for a long time but it's also time we graduate from it and move on to the next best thing.

I enjoy flash content just like most others but I'm also of the opinion it's time to move forward.

couchpotato no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    294AB7EF
    Great, about time flush the flash .... Besides , Apple is the name of the game wether its computers or smartphones , developers will have to adhere to apples platform restrictions. Or wait Microsoft is in the smartphone game now, develop crap for windows... There's a reason why Apple is No:1

slideaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by couchpotato View Post
    Great, about time flush the flash .... Besides , Apple is the name of the game wether its computers or smartphones , developers will have to adhere to apples platform restrictions. Or wait Microsoft is in the smartphone game now, develop crap for windows... There's a reason why Apple is No:1
    I don't think Adobe pushed us here, they offered a product that developers chose to utilize since no other options presented themselves or provided the features desired at the time. The move to open standards is always well recevied and Adobe is realizing that times are changing and that time is nearing for them. I too get frustrated not being able to view most content on my mobile devices but patients will pay, as for now, Apple won't be phased and people will keep by iphones/ipads/etc...

As for Apple being No.1, in touchscreen devices deployed your right but for everything else I'm afraid not, albeit they're gaining ground.
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010021.html

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    As long as sites are still using flash, the ability to view it on my phone would be nice. I will be happy to see it come to android. I also heard that adobe air for android will bring great things to those looking for better games for the android platform. Adobe flash may get phased out, but that will take time......in the mean time, I want all the rich content possible on my mobile devices.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I don't know a thing about flash or HTML 5, but I Google searched them and a numerous of websites claim that HTML 5 wont be ready for release till 2022.

Is this right? Or are they gonna come out with some type of HTML we can use in the near future?

Someone explain this to me.

iPhonejones no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm tired of this!! I don't care if it's not the fanciest new way to encode or whatever!! I just want to view web pages like everyone else can. I want choice!! The 3gs is the best phone I've ever had but apple are the biggest gluttons I've ever seen. They need to get over themselves!!

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    So you iphone heads hate flash huh? You'll be converting videos for the rest of your lives! LMAO

Id be mad as hell if I just spent all that money on the Ipad and could'nt watch Hulu or some of my other fav sites. All because Jobs said flash is not good for me.

"Flash isn't the future"?!?! You may be right, but it is most definitely the present. I cant wait until we have it on our Android devices.

PIN/ID
    ask
    If Apple supports it then our dependance on flash will never die. Google already uses HTML 5 and so does thousands of other websites. that 2012/2022 refers to something else. Why we won't notice html5 sites is because unlike adobe there's nothing to download and no nasty "loading" messages so we've all used html5 somewhere and just don't know it.

Here a good read also:
    http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/05/goo...on-html-5.html

When Blackberry email didn't support HTML viewin many downloaded a plugin type app for that. Now it's standard and officailly support on all BB's. Think of flash in the same way it's just a patch to fill in for something that HTML could not do but now HTML5 does it better! Without any downloads. Visit gmail or google buzz on you android or iPhone and thank God that's NOT flash

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Truth is it's over already and we are discussing the past. We tend to have fond memories of the past remembering when.......

HTML5 is seamless and works universally on all devices. Adobe is trying to rally support like any one would do.

Hulu is also no longer a topic for example, they will be offering a pay subscription for the iPad soon.

HTML5 is not going away it's just going to keep spreading more and more at time goes by.

John Gruber I think put it best thus far. It's worth the read for those interested in more.

Last edited by srl7741; 04-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    "The Latest Update"
    The Flash fracas between Adobe and Apple (FAQ)

The face-off between Apple and Adobe Systems concerning Flash on the iPhone and iPad is a perfect fit for today's world of fanboys and flame wars. But beneath the surface, it's not all as simple as it seems.

There are plenty convenient rhetorical points for those who want to find a place in the debate: Apple exerts draconian control over its walled garden. Flash is a buggy, insecure, resource hog. Apple is taking a stand for the betterment of the Web. Apple is inflicting a crippled Web on its customers for its selfish ends.

All these positions have some merit but are exaggerated. It's not nearly so black and white, so let's dig into the issue a bit more.

Q: Wait, what? Flash? Objective-C? What's the background here?

The iPhone is the smartphone to beat these days when it comes to polish, power, and wealth of applications. Apple, though, has thwarted Adobe's ambition to have the Flash Player browser plug-in or the related AIR (Adobe Integrated Runtime) technology on the device. Programmers can write programs that run on Flash Player on any number of computing devices; AIR is geared for for standalone applications and adds Web browser technology abilities.

Its a very long read but worth it
    [Read More]
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 04-23-2010 at 09:20 AM.

PIN/ID
    ask
    good points all

+ Reply to Thread