+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

As you may already know, the court room battles between Apple and Samsung seem to ... Smartphone News forum

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?

Apple Now Suing Samsung Over Galaxy Tab Covers

Advertisement

As you may already know, the court room battles between Apple and Samsung seem to never end. The latest chapter in the saga continues with Apple claiming that Samsung is now copying not only their smartphones and tablets but also their cases. Apple seems to believe that the case infringes at least a minimum of 10 patents.

Although Apple hasn’t detailed the complaint against Samsung, it is possible that it began with the fact that Samsung called their smart cover look alike as being “Samsung certified.” The Galaxy Tab cover was sold in Samsung’s stores in South Korea and create by a company called Anymode. The company was owned by Youngbo Engineering, which was headed by the nephew of Samsung chairperson Kun-Hee Lee. Samsung ended up taking the product off the shelves, saying the certification was “an oversight.”

This currently is an issue that the Cupertino giant is pursuing alongside with the many patent infringement cases regarding the tablets themselves (the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab). The recent Samsung win, which removed temporary Australian sales injunctions for the company has caused them to try and push the company’s patent infringement lawsuit against Apple’s iPhone and iPad 2 to March. The reason March was chosen was because the company is expected to have a similar trial in a German court regarding the same issue. Depending on how things go, having two judgments in the same month could either give Samsung a two-combo attack against Apple or serve as a distraction if the company loses. As of right now, Apple is fighting back against this tactic by asking for a delay and the judge seems to be in Apple’s favor.

Of course, a delay means that many more patent infringement claims are likely to arise between the two. So what do you think of the smart cover rip off? Are you getting tired of seeing the two tech giants battle it out with one another? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Bloomberg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jfcooley likes this.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I really can't share my opinion.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    thanks j

Respect for other stackers and the combustible nature of the topic.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    I know j i was just mesin with you.I hate all this lawyer crap too but you do have to admit,this looks a lot like the smart cover...

So? Its a 3rd party accessorie. Certified or not, its an accessory.

Ask yourself this (not you Cat...just anyone). Why is all this happening? I mean honestly, IF Sammy kanged the look of Apple, is Apple threatedned by just that?
    Consumers, geeks or not, don't get confused when they spend 500 dollars on devices. They aren't fooled by shapes and then throw money by the fistful at store employees to get one. They don't by a device that's nearly the same price to fool their friends. They buy what they want. What they desire. At that price point the only thing you'd not research or even TRY before you buy is a prostitute. Even then I can imagine the buyer is pretty sure what the seller has to offer.

This is all about stifiling competition and creating a negative image of said competition in the minds of consumers. Apple knows the GT is a good solid device. Its picked something (maybe the only thing) to go after in hopes that it can damage Sammy's Rep just enough to keep consumers from picking up a GT and comparing the two. Some would still end up with an iPad 2, but seems Apple is relying on intimidation and screwy crap to poison minds.

Honestly sickening. Yes (SURPRISE) I like Android. I'd be a fool though to say Apple has a crappy product, we all know only fanbois and dolts would deny that (on both sides). Seeing Apple stoop to this is saddening, given the abilities of its designers and software engineers. In a nutshell, Apple, you're better than this.

In the end we all pay for this. These lawyers don't always generate a judgement. When they don't they both companies have to pay them and whatever other costs incurred. This isn't going to be a write off. You and I will end up paying higher prices for our tech fix. In this day and age THAT should be criminal.

OK. End rant. Hope no one was offended, tried hard to avoid it. If so, apologies.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    not offended at all but i think you're missing the point...or probably me.

It's not that a company is afraid someone will be fooled into buying a product thinking it's a different product.It's that they spend $$$ on R&D on a product,launch it and find that it's very successful.Then they turn around and see another company selling a very similar product,that in their opinion,is copying their product.A company shouldn't be able to prosper from another companies R&D.That's what a patent is...

PIN/ID
    wut?
    it almost seems like you're confusing patent issues with counterfeiting issues.

Perhaps holds true for the accessory, il grant that in this case. i doubt too much r&d went into a rectangle etc. Especially since digital photo frames had been using that design for years before.
    catstide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    it almost seems like you're confusing patent issues with counterfeiting issues.
    In this case I don't believe so, could always be wrong. Tech patents are so broad that its in need of reform. Companies have tried to Sue over hyperlinking. Squares and shapes that are flat and shiney shouldn't be patent. What if Mercedes had patented 4 wheels that are powered by steam, or the Wright brothers had patented a flying machine that consists of wing structures? Innovation ends and consumers are forced to buy one product from one manufacture.

Cars all have 4 wheels and use essentially the same engine, and for the most part the look pretty similar. However each manufacturer has technologies that aren't duh technologies that allow them to compete in the market.

I'm saying if Apple comes up with a really great tech that is unlike someone else's and its patented, then protect it. Litigating over shapes and percieved design similarities (all cosmetic) that are now basic to tab design (all are squares/rectangles, all have glass, some are rounded) isn't benifitial to the bottom line other than to simply stifle competition. And to your point, copying a shape should be labeled copying as its a shape not tech. Apple doubtfully put that much R&D, hell its a thinner larger iPod touch.

Now yes, perhaps the cover is some sort of infringement. Sue the company that makes it. Introducing it into the Sammy case is only trying to further poison consumers.

(BTW thanks for the discussion)

PS This Convo crashed my tab.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 12-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Apple makes the smart cover and I believe sammy makes their cover...not sure.I know Apple makes the smart cover and I assume sammy makes the one in question.

Bedtime for me, I'd dig up link if wasn't and can tomorrow if you'd like, but pretty sure that's an approved by Sammy case that is made by a 3rd party.

I reserve the right to be wrong though.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Although Apple hasn’t detailed the complaint against Samsung, it is possible that it began with the fact that Samsung called their smart cover look alike as being “Samsung certified.” The Galaxy Tab cover was sold in Samsung’s stores in South Korea and create by a company called Anymode. The company was owned by Youngbo Engineering, which was headed by the nephew of Samsung chairperson Kun-Hee Lee. Samsung ended up taking the product off the shelves, saying the certification was “an oversight.”

PIN/ID
    wut?
    who keeps posting these dang patent articles?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    What bugs me more than anything is the only people that benfit from all this are the lawyers. There are many bags, cases, satchels that look alike. I think both Apple and Samsung have got so into this battle that neither can see the wood for the trees, they don't see how much money they are waisting fighting thes battles, nor the courts time, I personally hate to see this. The thing about the smart cover is not the cover but the location of the magnets on the IPad Eventually, we all will be hurt either by lack of competitors, loss of jobs, and higher prices.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast