+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

^^^^ there, the man has lost his composure. We have flaming. C'mon guys, don't let ... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Advertisement

^^^^ there, the man has lost his composure. We have flaming.
    C'mon guys, don't let him get away with it.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I don't have a dog in this fight, being a person with the old BB technology which I must add I am still happy with despite it not even being the latest flavor of BB. Some things I do take from this however is that those who use Apple and stay with it do so because they really enjoy the OS rather than being tied 100% to the hardware. Apple does know how to make the OS simple to use and clean to look at, plus they are capable of bringing in 1000's of developers for the APPs along with every company wants to have an App available for the phone. Now increase the speed a bit, improve the antenna, have a better camera etc., and those that are on the older IPhone will be happy to upgrade. Will it have the same queues outside the stores probably not, but people will still buy. They probably will not get the new customers as they would have had they released the IP5 but then is this really a big deal for them, they will get them next time. People are still tied into ITunes having invested quite a few bucks in Apps and music which will probably make them think twice about changing.
    An interesting fact Del mentioned above about the replaceable microSD card. Apple is avoiding it by suggesting people use their ICloud service. Sounds great you don't have to worry about loosing the card, and it allows you to sync to all your devices. Only one little problem, the cost of the storage (a fact not mentioned). People will sign up and have their credit cards hit on a monthly or annual basis, once started it continues and Apple laughs all the way to the bank.
    As Del mentioned everyone is upset at no IP5, but Apple never anounced there would be they just let the rumors fly, for the last 6 mths, stirring it up so much that everyone covered the launch yesterday, allowing Apple to sell how good they are, how successful they are with their computers etc., holding off the IPhone till the very last, free coverage, free advertising, worldwide, cudos big time to Apple and they don't even get criticized like RIM did for the leak on the PlayBook.
    Much as I don't like the company and the way they tie you too them, locking down the hardware etc., I truly admire the way they run their business, and market their goods to the extent that even when we know that they are not top on specs, they still look like they are, and people remain loyal!
    Just my opinion.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Capdot, I don't send mails with ads running somewhere. Nor do I play games with ads. Or have any app with ads. I read the news with Pulse and Google Reader, no ads.
    How long ago did you have a Droid ?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'd love to get in on this, but my track record isn't so good with threads like this.

Sorry del. Sometimes I have to stay on the bench.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Exactly. We all know what we like so it's really pointless to argue about which is the better platform.

As someone reminded me earlier, these are PHONES, people! Not matters of life and death.
    ^^Man I wonder where you heard that lol..... ;-)

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Capdot, I don't send mails with ads running somewhere. Nor do I play games with ads. Or have any app with ads. I read the news with Pulse and Google Reader, no ads.
    How long ago did you have a Droid ?
    I was on Android after the Nexus 1 came out. It had Eclair and I had the chance to update to Froyo. It was a while back so maybe things have changed but at the time it was my experience.

This article mentions that Android users click on more ads, but they say its by accident because Android wasn't smooth at the time.

http://gigaom.com/2010/08/24/when-it...s-click-happy/

And another one

http://pocketnow.com/android/how-doe...y-with-android

We dont like Facebook tracking us so why would we let Google? Apple was caught with that GPS tracking fiasco a while back but its not the sole purpose of their business. They make money with good expensive products and a loyal customer base. Just like Dush said.
    I remember that iPhone fan Srll or something.. Steve I think his name was. He would go on and on about ads and phones tracking you I never really knew what he was talking about until I tried Android. I would download games and "ads powered by Google" was the story of my life.
    Last edited by Capdot; 10-05-2011 at 08:55 PM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's been a while then. Granted, if you choose not to pay you'll be subject to ads. But all my apps have been paid for. Utilities, readers, launchers, whatever. So no ads. Period. Nor invitations.

Well, my interface must not be subpar, cause I can't remember last time I clicked on an ad on either device. I'm rooted and that is the reason why. I asked my wife and she admits she's done it. But not a lot.

A lot is said about ads and androids. Honestly they never bothered me. Yes they're removed now but its just one of those features of the ROMs I use. Doesn't factor into the decision to use those ROMs. As far as users and ads, its not like folks don't realize they're getting into an OS that has them.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Late to the party I know, been busy these last few days.

Where to begin? I'm going to tackle this in two parts.

Part 1

Apple has never, not once been a company about specs. It has always been about the user experience. This hasn't changed since the first iPod was introduced let alone iPhone. They have always concentrated on what the U.E. will be. They want it to be smooth and simple. This is why Apple is so popular. It's easy and it works.

Apple was once at the forefront of the spec sheet until the second gen of Android devices started coming out. At that point they were and no longer have been the best spec phone on the market, but that's not Apples concern, theirs is the end U.E. When we started seeing snapdragons being put in Android phones everyone was wowed over the specs,benchmarks and so on. What that didn't correlate to was a smooth experience by the consumer. Android was much in it's infancy and the issues it had couldn't be fixed without major surgery from the consumer, custom ROMs and such, something that 90% wouldn't be doing. So Apple carried on with what it does, marketing great features and providing a easy use system that everyone of all ages could use. This is where Apple has won it customer base from.

Fast forward to today. The market has been flooded with Androids that are on top of the spec sheet with little to no cost to the consumer if they weren't early adopters. Hardware is becoming so powerful that it can mask the issues that Android still has. And while it continues to mature and user base gets larger its satisfaction rating is well below that of iOS. What has happened is that although people love iOS and Apple, the onslaught of new Android devices every other month has created a urge from iOS users and potential new customers for Apple to follow suit with a "new" look at least every year. As consumers we've been hit with numerous Androids that fare pretty well against the iPhone in tests. The fact that Apple pushed back the launch of the iPhone and has said nothing(as is Apples way) of what they would bring this fall has created so much hype and anticipation by even the loyalist of followers(sheep as you say Jay), that nothing short of a redesign would do. What most failed to realize or were so blinded by the hype is that Apple has never done things this way. They have always stuck to their guns and done it their way.

So what went wrong?? Well, IMO, keeping the lid too tight this time around. The 4 was lost at a bar and was revealed long before the actually announcement. It was and still is the best selling iPhone to date. The best selling smartphone to date. A lot of people were expecting a announcement at WWDC as it has been in years past. If they would've shown the side of the 4 much as Samsung is doing with the Prime the expectations wouldn't have been what they are. Sure there would've been the rumors of a bigger screen but knowing that the design wasn't going to change would have helped not hurt. In my view it would have made the announcement of Siri(more on that later) so much more. As it stands a great piece of technology that is truly going to change how we interact with our iPhones was greatly overshadowed with the disappointment of no new design. This is what the public was expecting and it didn't get it, the hype that has made millions stand in line was lost. As soon as the public realized there was no design change everything else fell on deaf ears. Apple turned what was the nail in the coffin for other manufactures(the hype) into the key to the doorway.
    chokem and bmay82 like this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Everyone knows how I feel. Im weary of defending one of the top companies in the world, which produce the absolute best in their field. Apple haters-knock yourself out. Please don't comment on what I just said. I WILL NOT respond.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Think maybe we should just put this on hold for a bit now. Seems a bit silly in comparison to recent news.
    bmay82 likes this.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    4s looks good to me.if a new android came out with all these spces it would be hailed as the best of the best....wait, there probably is already an android with similar specs...and i'm sure it is androids flagship. with that being said,i think androids are great. i have owned two and love em...will i go back to them,probably not.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Are you gonna get one Rogro? My pal Cats is enforcing the i4S on me but then again Do I really wanna use my upgrade in November for this supped up iphone 4? or wait for the iPhone 5 and of course the value of my iphone 4 won't be as high as it is now. Sigh....decisions Help me Jeebus
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Siri says...."Yes"
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Are you gonna get one Rogro? My pal Cats is enforcing the i4S on me but then again Do I really wanna use my upgrade in November for this supped up iphone 4? or wait for the iPhone 5 and of course the value of my iphone 4 won't be as high as it is now. Sigh....decisions Help me Jeebus
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

My new iPhone 4S case

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast