+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...Berry-PlayBook... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: 10-inch BlackBerry PlayBook?

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I think they should've STARTED with the 10" PlayBook. 7" seems too small to me.

But you're right......RIM (once again) released a device before it was ready for prime time.

And I haven't heard any other news from the BWC other than the announcement of the Bold Touch, which definitely piques my interest, but it's the same-old same-old from RIM.

Pretty disappointing.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Rog, I made up my mind about RIM, exactly near my birthday last year - (hint, hint again ) when I went iOS. And I was very glad I did.
    Alhtough today I´m on Android, ( which I affirm as a superior OS - my opinion of course) the iPhone was a eye opener. BB has nothing on it. Much less on Android.
    Just yesterday my Incredible got the Gingerbread. The improvements are tremendous. Visible, actual, up to date, official and immediate (almost). How often has this happened with your Torch ? Unless you dl leaked and non-official updates.
    And another thing, which is important. No crashes !
    BB must wake up.
    Make the move Roger !

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am with Roger, I think they should have started with a 10" screen, having said that I have played with the current playbook and it does work well. Yeah Del, I know it is not the same as an Android, or an IPad2/IPhone4 etc, but it has it's own good points and even though my Torch may not be as fast/uptodate/cool looking etc etc as some of the other devices it does what I need it to do, and does it well. Plus it still has good security, is great for e-mails and the like. RIM is working on upgrading their image, buying companies, upgrading software/hardware, and so forth. The latest upgrade on the Playbook allows for BBM, the bridge system is a great idea, only one data plan (even if you do have to pay a bit more for it, I am sure it will be less than paying for 2 plans). Give them a chance, when all the lawsuits between Apple and the opposition are cleared RIM may be the only one standing.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You are good defender of Blackberry Dave. Good. I think it´s a great product. Having said that, I also, a year ago affirmed the fact.
    Not any longer. You can say I saw the grass on the other lawn...
    The basic concern here is RIM. Their relationship with their clients. The whole relationship within the smartphone market.
    1) RIM can´t promise and then not deliver.
    2) RIM cannot afford to deliver, when it does, an unfinished product.
    3) RIM cannot present an OS and then not show up with it
    4) RIM cannot tease with software updates and then take forever to deliver them, when they do.
    5) RIM cannot forget clients with a BB they´ve bought recently, and introduce a new software which will not be made available to them, be it because their ROM or RAM or processor or whatever isn´t capable
    6) RIM must define a path and follow it. Their clients will not feel defrauded.

BB is a great phone. It does what it does well. So do all others...

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    All excellent points Del, of course for this to happen it would be mean that RIM would have to be different to the majority of other IT companies and come up with a business development plan that truly cared about its customers and then work with the carriers to ensure that when software releases were available they would immediately implement them, wouldn't take much
    On the other hand we could look at the business plans of most companies which can normally be written as "Get Rich Quick Who cares about the customer." Apple has really developed this to a fine art. Release an item which looks good, works reasonably well, but does not have the ability to allow for user upgrade/battery change/enlarge hard disk etc. Now once everyone has bought into it and thinks its great, release the next version with improvements but still leave you hanging. Everyone buys again. Keep doing this on an annual or biannual basis. Meanwhile develop your operating system so that all apps/music has to be purchased through a free portal that you have also developed. Add a premium to each item sold through this program. Of course they could say they do care about the customer because their product is of good quality, and was really the start of the really good touch screen technology.

Now we have hook line and sinker, and why would you complain since the product is a good product? I have been caught with the IPod I am on my 4th one, they die on you due to battery issues, and the cost for battery replacement is just a little less than a new product, got me again.

Now this could be why you are using an Android phone and a good one at that, (having played with it in the store, I can certainly see why you jumped to the greener grass). Trouble is Google is getting bigger and bigger, (more or less being ignored by the world, or at least they get away with a lot for some reason). There certainly wasn't too many voices screaming when there were security issues with the Android phones, or when people saw themselves on Street view in Google maps . Are you sure that there is no implant in the phone that is a sleeper waiting to make the phone get up join with the other Android phones to take over the world?

Maybe I am too much of a sceptic, or I have been around technology too long. 10 years ago I would have already tried 80% of the Android phones on the market, had an Apple Iphone (every version) and be itching to get my hands on the Ipad 3, these days I ask myself do I really need it, how will I use it, what benefit does it provide over what I already have, how many minutes will it save me, is it worth spending the money, and if I finally decide yes I leave the store and think about it for a couple of days, at which stage I have normally decided I do not need to change yet. Trouble with this attitude is I don't get to own the shiny new gadgets quite so often, but when I do, I really appreciate them.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Dave, your reasoning is great, or may I say, normal. Much like mine. And no, you´re not a sceptic. Or maybe I´m just as much as you are, except for some impulsiveness...
    My gripe with RIM at the time, and it persists now, is, as I said, how they treat their clients, and I include myself. The actual product they produce is the best, albeit (I consider) a bit outdated; the follow-up (for want of a better word) is dismal. And that´s it...
    The rest is all emotion or sentiment, and that is wrong. We must be sceptics, as you say.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way....(mind you I wish I was a good writer so I could get a job testing gadgets lol). I do get to use the high end computers in my job, going way back to the early 70's when the machine I worked on looked like something out of Startrek along with the flashing lights. It's sad that gadgets are not made to last more than 2 years, and a lot of them get replaced even sooner. With regards to the Playbook as yet I have not seen anyone using one, I see a lot of IPads 1 & 2 being used on my commute, many Torch's Bold's IPhone's Androids, and different version on Nook's etc but Playbooks no. I find this quite strange as I would have thought that the 7" screen would have been more portable, but then it doesn't have that X factor I suppose.
    One thing that brings us all together, no matter where we live is our love for gadgets, I have lived in many countries, and I have not yet been somewhere where gadgets aren't wanted, loved living in the Far East 'cos it was amazing at what was available there.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way....(mind you I wish I was a good writer so I could get a job testing gadgets lol). I do get to use the high end computers in my job, going way back to the early 70's when the machine I worked on looked like something out of Startrek along with the flashing lights. It's sad that gadgets are not made to last more than 2 years, and a lot of them get replaced even sooner. With regards to the Playbook as yet I have not seen anyone using one, I see a lot of IPads 1 & 2 being used on my commute, many Torch's Bold's IPhone's Androids, and different version on Nook's etc but Playbooks no. I find this quite strange as I would have thought that the 7" screen would have been more portable, but then it doesn't have that X factor I suppose.
    One thing that brings us all together, no matter where we live is our love for gadgets, I have lived in many countries, and I have not yet been somewhere where gadgets aren't wanted, loved living in the Far East 'cos it was amazing at what was available there.

It is sad that RIM have lost so many of their faithful followers by not listening to them, and not competing hard enough with the other smartphones on the market, but I still hope this will change, at least they seem to be waking up, probably cos they are seeing a loss in profits.

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    It is sad that RIM have lost so many of their faithful followers by not listening to them, and not competing hard enough with the other smartphones on the market, but I still hope this will change, at least they seem to be waking up, probably cos they are seeing a loss in profits.
    I agree completely with statement. I used to be a diehard Blackberry man. I saw something in Android that BB couldn't deliver, with out me waiting two years and wondering if it will be right, and I made the jump. As far as the iOS goes, yeah its nice and very similar to Android, but the whole Apple branding... I'm not an apple person unless its nice and juicy. I hate how apple controls there customers. I don't want to have to jaopilbreak my phone just so I can download music that's not on iTunes.
    because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence~ Tite Kubo

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    I don't want to have to jaopilbreak my phone just so I can download music that's not on iTunes.
    Since when do you have to jailbreak an iphone to get music onto it? I've scanned hundreds of CDs onto my ipod touch. Even if you do find free music, you can load it into the itunes library.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholder View Post
    Since when do you have to jailbreak an iphone to get music onto it? I've scanned hundreds of CDs onto my ipod touch. Even if you do find free music, you can load it into the itunes library.
    One can always add from a CD, plus if you do it right you can also add music you download from other sites, just takes a couple of extra steps through Itunes, however you are tied to Itunes which some people do not like, at one time you were also tied to the Itunes specific file format, which was not necessarily the highest quality due to the compression rate. This has since changed, but it was annoying particularly to audiophiles. There is certainly no way of playing music with any other player than Itunes.

+ Reply to Thread