I have a hypothetical question about the Tour9630 hardware. Taking the Onyx9700 and the swap ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Rico5331 no está en línea Stack level 1

Would a trackpad installation be possible on the Tour 9630 ?

Advertisement

I have a hypothetical question about the Tour9630 hardware. Taking the Onyx9700 and the swap from trackball to trackpad on the pre-release models, is there possibly a modular setup to the trackball / trackpad assemembly on the mainboard, meaning it could possibly be swapped out on the tour if someone had the knowledge to do so, and it physically fit the dimensions ?

Another interesting rumor floating around is that Verizon and Sprint will be caving to the demands of wi-fi for ALL smartphones moving forward, and that the tour could be re-released as the 9650 with wi-fi.

Looking at the addition of wi-fi to other phones, such as the 8820 and 8320, the extra .20 added to the model number makes sense.

My trackball on my brand new tour is less than 100% responsive and seems to be very sensitive to any micro debris that may be getting into the assenbly. I lost my up and down axis for like 5 minutes today, And the phone hasn't even been through any heavy use yet ! I'm really eager to try out the trackpad to see if the difference is noticable.

Any insights ??
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

Omegazab no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    i've heard about the wifi rumor for sprint. kinda hoping its true and they remedy some other glitches with the phone. we will see just about a month til i switch to sprint and get my tour

eyecon82 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would also be intereswted in swapping out the trackball for the trackpad

it looks like there are massive problems with the trackball anyways.....hopefully RIM will allow this..

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    If I'm not mistaking to allow the track pad functionability you need the correct software, or cod modules which are not present on the tour OS, so even if you can physically swap it I don't think it will work properly.

As for the wifi addition is true
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.130 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't think the swap is possible, I saw a video from nationlink wireless about trackpad replacement and it doesn't just drop in like trackballs do, there is a connection ribbon to the board
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

well, the leaked 9700 video has the trackball on it.....so maybe it is interchangeable...who knows

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    If it was an early pre-production model they could have changed it since....I will be very surprised if swapping between the 2 is possible
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Well seeing as how the trackpad is square and the ball is round, unless the ball has a square bezel, I don't see how it would work. Sure the assembly for the ball is square but you still have four empty triangles around the ball itself.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    Well seeing as how the trackpad is square and the ball is round, unless the ball has a square bezel, I don't see how it would work. Sure the assembly for the ball is square but you still have four empty triangles around the ball itself.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105
    they dont just replace the ball..they replace the whole "unit" which includes the ball