Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by BBWrangler We got one a couple days ago for testing. It's not ... BlackBerry Tour forum

tina_twyman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30d4e1b6

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BBWrangler View Post
    We got one a couple days ago for testing. It's not bad. Far, far better than the storm.

It's like the Bold and a Curve had a kid.

It's a bit laggy in some areas, but over all pretty responsive.

Battery cover is loose on this one, not fall off by itself loose, but it does rattle if you shake it.

Yet again, video support is inconsistent with video shot on other BB's and simple divx files. Files play fine on an 88xx, or storm or the 8900, but won't play on the Tour.

The MicroSD slot is horrible - there's no easy release for the retention tab, so getting the card out quickly is not going to happen. That may be a minor quibble for some, but personally it's a mark against the design.

It tests out ok with most of our apps so far, but we've come across one potential deal killer - emails with attachments are coming in with the text of the email as a txt file attachment that you can't open or download. Emails without attachments are fine.

If we can't find a fix, there's no way we can give these to our users.

One of our 3 Storm users had the same issue, but he mentioned trying out a new firmware that others had the same issue with, so he's going to roll back.
    I've got no older version to roll back to, so we're kind of in a bind.

Sucks, because it would have finally given us a device to offer as an upgrade to the 8830, since the Storm was a massive flop here.
    Yesterday, I noticed that I could not open an attachment. I only had one personal email with an attachment that I tried 2 Read since I got my Tour on Tues. Yes, if email attach is an issue, I suggest a very fast OS update or something. This will be a major issue.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    Well, you're not an idiot, just a noobie. There's nothing wrong with that, we were all noobies at one time or another. If you need help, post questions, we'll all help you out. You can even see registered users PINs for BlackBerry Messenger so you can also try that. I'm always willing to help out people with BlackBerries.
    Thank you very much. I am just not very technically adept or tech savy. As such, I come from the school of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it, don't get a new one, don't upgrade, and don't change a thing."

So I've been using a 7250 for a long time now. I simply use it for e-mail, calender, contacts, and it syncs with my Lotus Notes on my laptop. I don't use it as a phone.

Anyway, I am getting my new Tour in a couple of days and we are off to the races! Thanks again.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    Well, you're not an idiot, just a noobie. There's nothing wrong with that, we were all noobies at one time or another. If you need help, post questions, we'll all help you out. You can even see registered users PINs for BlackBerry Messenger so you can also try that. I'm always willing to help out people with BlackBerries.
    same here man!! feel free to hit me up whenever!!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

thenext no está en línea Stack level 1
    anyone else having trouble with profiles? When modifying a preloaded one, changes just flat out don't register. For example, I turned the email alert to silent for a specific account that I get 100's of emails a day. By doing this, phone calls became silent and emails were just as loud.

So I created a custom profile and the message alerts are working. I set the call/text alerts to the preloaded sounds that would suffice. Later I went home to switch to my own mp3 ringtones, which work fine in the settings (Try It seems to work fine.) Then when I receive a call/text, it's the sound that I had chosen before, not the one reflected in the settings page.

Frustrating.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    No battery door problems with my Tour and I've had it for two days now. I've now got a clear plastic cover over mine to protect the device from scratches and drops, purchased from Verizon, along with the privacy screen cover for the display and I'm loving the Tour. By far, the BEST Blackberry device I've had to date. Especially with the new BBM 5.0
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

lorakrutz no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30B4D725

TOUR

I did make the switch to the Tour. After 6 Storms in 2 months I couldnt take it anymore. But needless to say I am glad I made the switch. The Tour is a Storm with a Bold keyboard and styling of the Curve 8900. I feel I have the best RIM has to offer all in one phone. Except for WIFI. It would be perfect if it had that and a browser that had tabbed browsing. Other than that Im happy. I have had NO issues so far with my beautiful Tour. It is fast just like a phone should be. Screen is very crisp and bright with vivd colors. The Tour is not to heavy like the Storm and not too light (cheap feeling) like the 8900.

But I do non the less miss my touch screen. I really tried to stick with the Storm b/c of the touch screen but I couldnt take having a phone that just plain and simple could not perform. I mean waiting for more than 3 or 4 seconds for your number pad screen to pop up to place a call should be the max but with the Storm you never know if your gonna wait 10 seconds or 30 minutes. Or if you were gonna get the dreaded white screen with clock which for me meant my phone was done for. I waited 24 hours with one phone waiting to see if it would start working again but after 24 hours of nothing but white screen I gave in and took it to Verizon and all they ever wanted to do to fix the problem was give me a new one. And they would all work fine for 2 to 3 weeks and then start lagging and then freeze. I dont miss any of that. The sales reps in the Verizon store know me by first name now..lol thats pretty pathetic. I really hope I have better luck with the Tour. The Storm was just an all around bad experience except for the fact I have really educated myself on smartphones and the technology surrounding them. I have found that its not just a device I used to organize my life and keep in touch, it has become a major interest to me. I am truly addicted to my BB>
    Quote Originally Posted by amujahid View Post
    well.......did anyone make the switch?? Please give us feedback!!!

SuzieCreamPuff no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks everyone for the excellent input! I just got my 4th Manf replacement for my Verizon Storm since January and am just done with that phone. A VZW rep offered to upgrade me to the Tour for free (or downgrade me to the Curve) as a consolation but I just wasn't sure about the Tour. Now I think I'm going to go for it My only biggest concern was battery life seems to be even shorter than the Storm's?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieCreamPuff View Post
    Thanks everyone for the excellent input! I just got my 4th Manf replacement for my Verizon Storm since January and am just done with that phone. A VZW rep offered to upgrade me to the Tour for free (or downgrade me to the Curve) as a consolation but I just wasn't sure about the Tour. Now I think I'm going to go for it My only biggest concern was battery life seems to be even shorter than the Storm's?
    I asked the same/similar questions on another thread -- and the battery life comments were positive.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    im looking to get the Tour when im eligible for upgrade or if i find on on craigslist. Ive seen alot of the new Verizon devices goin Dual Service (CDMA/GSM) so they can live the future upgrade to everyone on GSM here in a few years. Plus i can use the Tour with my work Verizon phone and have it unlocked to SIM swap my AT&T sim for my personal phone.

Missing the Blackberries since my 8830 is gone....
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

SuzieCreamPuff no está en línea Stack level 2
    Ok I made the switch and put the Tour to my true test of weekend heavy use with drunk texting/pics and it did swimmingly. It's a keeper in my book. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Storm but after 3 honest to goodness warranty replacements due to manuf. defects I was fed up. I haven't had the Tour long enough to sniff out all the bugs but so far it is a lot less laggy than my old Storm. And everyone can actually hear me when I call them now! I had lots of complaints over call quality with the other berry.

I made the switch as well. Going on a few days now. First, knee-jerk reactions -- one, the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to for me as I was coming from an old 7250 (yes, a 7250, stop laughing now please, LOL). I would guess if you are coming from the WE/8830 or something like that, there wouldn't be as much of a difference. Second, I am not using this as a cell phone -- e-mail, contacts, internet, etc. only, but battery life could potentially be a small issue. I set the backlight down to 30% and 30 seconds, and I also turned off the flashing LED. I've been sending and receiving well over 100 e-mails a day and it's working perfectly.

The only other issue is that I am getting the same browser error message time and time again. Maybe it's reception or maybe something else.

I like the Tour very much. It seems like a top notch BB.

Rico5331 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just purchased a Sprint 9630, upgraded from a 8830 which was causing many headaches due to the small amount of on-board memory. Viigo basically crippled my 8830 but I couldn't do without it. The Tour is definitely an upgrade, I really like the tactile feel and quiet operation of the keyboard, and the screen is beautiful, although I wish it was the same width as the bold.

I miss the size of the screen on the 8700 which has always been larger than the 8300 and 8800 series screens. The bold might be the same size, definitely a noticable 1/8 or so of an inch wider than the 8800,8300, and 9630, screen. I really wish it would have extended all the way to the bezels. May have been a battery life issue, as the bold does have a larger battery also, if I'm not mistaken. I also realize that the screen is right flush to the outer lens, which seems to be a much thinner plastic than the 8700,8300,and 8800 series phone, and actually gives to finger pressure, which was also an issue on the bold. The upcoming Onyx seems to have a unibody panel from the ear speaker to the bottom of the screen panel, similar to the 8800 series and looks to have a much more solid LCD lens. The screen DOES look better more flush to the lens and should help with the dust under the screen issue that sometimes plagues blackberries, so i guess it's a trade off.

The speaker on the 9630 is AWESOME , tested it out on the pandora app. Very loud and very limited distortion until about 75%. The loose battery door is driving me NUTS as well though, slides back and forth just a hair and seems to squeak while holding the phone to text. On top of that, it is the glossy one, pictured in some of the first photo leaks instead of the soft touch that they were rumored to change to in the more updated pics. The battery cover on the storm has a much tighter fit. They really need to settle on a battery door design and stop experimenting ! The 8900,9630 and Onyx all appear to have different battery door fastening mechanisms!

Other than that, besides the absence of wi-fi, seems to be the best QWERTY blackberry i've used, although I STILL miss the clickwheel and 2 DAY battery life on my T-mobile 8700G !

The blackberry OS WAS ahead of its time with the keyboard shorcuts, intelligent text handling like linking phone number text to the phone app, and the best feature, Multi-Tasking. I was surprised at first to switch apps and come back right where I left off, rather than starting all over like early Windows Mobile OS.

But it's really starting to show it's AGE ! against the Android and Web OS, which are super responsive, and more visually appealing. The good thing is, I know RIM will overhaul a new OS and make it available for current phones 8900 series and up. Their lifespan of thier products is awesome. I took a 8700G from 12/2006 - OS 4.2 to 06/2009 - OS 4.5 and was able to stay on par with the 8300 and 8800 series phones as far as the OS except for the camera. RIM defintely could have stopped supporting os upgrades for the 8700 series and forced users to uprgrade their handsets much earlier but didn't. I trust they will keep this philosophy, which along with BIS email, and BB Messenger, is the only reason I'm sticking around. With continued OS Upgrades, I expect to get good use out of the Tour for at least the next 18 months or so.
    Last edited by Rico5331; 08-10-2009 at 09:15 PM.

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    The 8900 and tour, what an improvement from RIM. Love it!!!
    Last edited by visionthing; 08-10-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Yes they are very good phones, RIM is doing a VERY good job. I can't wait for the Onyx as well, might be my next phone.

Rico5331 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Those of you with Verizon Tours, I'm curious to know whether to VZW tour has a soft-touch battery cover, of the same glossy cover that I have on my Sprint 9630. On the first pre-release photos, the battery cover was glossy like mine, But I thought they changed it to the soft touch material as pictured on later photos of the final build. Were both versions manufactured, and are both floating around ? The soft-touch material definitely would improve handling of the phone. Any insights ?
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast